Saint and greavsie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint and greavsie

Saint and greavsie ran from 3rd of october 1985 to 21st of april 1992.
    ian st john was scottish and jimmy greaves english.

Although Greaves and St. John had been contemporaries in the 60s football world, they had never played for the same club and were English and Scottish respectively.

However, a bond was quickly struck up and a long-running partnership soon began.

Greaves had recently won his battle against alcoholism when he began co-presenting but he was forever cracking his unique brand of gags that would have the audience either laughing or crying.

Jokes about Scottish goalies were a particular favourite, in a bid to wind up straight man St John.

The show was normally broadcast shortly after 12 noon on a Saturday afternoon, a point when much of its target audience were on their way to a match. At various points of the 30-minute show there would be goal round-ups, with ITV having exclusive rights to Football League action from 1988-1992. Other main components of the show included features on clubs from both England and Scotland and a look ahead at the main games from the weekend with particular emphasis on any live match ITV would be showing.

The series initially had a simple opening sequence showing a rotating rudimentary CGI-image of a football pitch revolving several times, before a still of the two presenters popped up at the end; the theme tune was initially identical to that used on the On The Ball segment of World of Sport. In later years, the introduction to the show began with St John and Greaves as cigarette cards from their playing days on the opening credits, and the theme tune was changed for a piece named "Aztec Gold" composed by Silsoe, which at the time was also used as the theme tune for ITV's The Big Match.

Although the show usually dealt with football, it also covered sports such as cricket and boxing, with interviewees including Mike Tyson and Chris Eubank. When Greaves was ill at Christmas 1990, he was replaced in successive episodes by a puppet modelled on him from Spitting Image, a show he had often featured on.

In 1991/92, the Rumbelows Cup draw was broadcast on Saint and Greavsie. The quarter-finals were drawn by Donald Trump when the duo were out in U.S for a programme looking at how the USA was preparing for World Cup 1994.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Saint and greavsie

I remember watching S&G and I loved it. It was a light hearted and humourous programme to start a Saturday afternoon of football, bearing in mind that in those days if you weren't actually going to a match the only way to keep up with your local team was on the radio if they were covering that match.
    Nowadays there's numerous websites streaming games which you can watch for free, which is light years ahead of relying on the radio or Final Score.

Comment

At times they went o.t.t I think to be honest Darren - but generally they made for quite a "Double Act"and easily paved the way for the likes of Badiel andd skinner I'd say to create Football Talk Shows interwoven with a bit of Comedy!!

80sChav

Comment

Just like many double acts, Ian St John was the straight man of the two, and Jimmy Greaves had a bit more of high profile.

Greaves was also the TV correspondent on TV-am, and it was great to hear him sounding off on the TV-am sofa on Tuesday mornings, although I saw them more recently on YT as I was probably too busy to get up for school at the time.

And of course, the Question Time with sport series from Carlton - Sport in Question which they both presented. I still have the edition where Brian Clough was a guest in 1995 around two years after he retired form Nottingham Forest and absolutely stole the show on tape.

I heard that Gravesie had a stroke around two or three years ago and I heard nothing since - I hope that he is still around.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

They were fabulous !!!!

I was gutted when they seem to disappear off our screens ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Fantasy Football League used to poke a lot of fun at them because they couldn't talk about Premier League Football as ITV didn't have the rights, & had to try & get excited about fixtures like Rotherham Vs Huddersfield Town.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

People seem to forget what a legend Jimmy Greaves was in the 60s!

He was in the England 1966 squad and narrowly missed being in the final due to an injury!
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Jimmy managed to score in the first game with each team he played for, including for England.

My Dad reckoned he ruined he later career by drinking too much.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Saint and Greavsie was essential viewing on saturdays. I thought they really complemented each other. I, too, remember the stick that Scottish goalkeepers would get--Alan Rough being one, though it was obviously light-hearted.

Comment

I suppose that we wouldn't have had Jimmy Greaves' Postbag slot on TV-am if it hadn't been for Saint and Greavesie. There are some wonderful clips on YT of Greaves almost doing a Mary Whitehouse on the TV-am sofa and moaning at how TV had dumbed down in the mid 1980s - I don't know what he thinks of TV these days.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

May have said this already but I used to absolutely live the Saint and Greivesy show

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                        May have said this already but I used to absolutely live the Saint and Greivesy show

Me too Zincubus - it was like like Whavky races meets Fun House meets Gazza .... meets a whole host of other things which invarably made them over the top(but in a fun way I felt)

Though both were amazing players you have to hand it to Greavsie - he is an all/all time great who was on the clusps of England's Finest Hour along with many overs back in '66. as daft as he was on Telly - just like with Gazza that earns him the status of a Legend in my book

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                        X