Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marti caine

marti was born 25th of january 1944 in sheffield england

she passed away on the 4th of november 1995 from cancer.

the uk's clown queen of comedy during the 80s, Marti Caine's brand of humour combined an appealing dizziness with an endearing vunerability. Often compared to America's Phyllis Diller, she paved the way for women working in British light entertainment, both in nightclubs and in television.

Born Lynn Shepherd in Sheffield, Caine attended several schools in Yorkshire before working as a model, croupier and petrol pump attendant. At 18, she made her first professional appearance as a comedienne in a club in Rotheram and spent the next 15 yrs playing the Northern working men's club circuit.

She became an overnight household name at the age of 30 on the TV talent show, "New Faces (1973). Viewers loved her gawky figure and glamorous looks and she went on to star in her own BBC2 TV show, "The Marti Caine Show (1979), throughout the eighties.

In 1982, Caine spent 18 months starring in a stage show in South Africa which caused uproar from anti-apartheid demonstrators and, for a time, she was blacklisted by the United Nations.

During the latter part of her career, she combined TV work with stage shows in Britain and, for 3 yrs from 1986, was a judge on Central TV's "New Faces"(1973. She was popular in pantomime and made the part of the "Red Queen" in "Snow White and The 7 Dwarfs" her own, playing in Cambridge, Bath, Bournemouth and London.

A gifted and talented comedienne, Caine was an incisive and intelligent performer who often surprised her critics with her depth as an actress.

her last role was in the 1995 tv film call up the stars where she played gracie fields.
    Last edited by darren; 20-08-2012, 00:31.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Marti caine

I was only talking to someone about her this morning, how odd!

Wasn't a huge fan of her's tbh. She was one of those rare all rounders wasn't she, singer, comedienne etc I remember when she hosted the relaunch of 'New Faces' and Spitting Image, in there usual cruel way made a very funny puppet of her that resembled one of those tv pepperami models in a ginger wig!

Comment

you where talking to som,eone about her this morning.

whats the odds on that.hehe

i must be psychic.

Yep she was all those things.
      she presented new faces from 86 to 88.

she also had her own show the marti caine show from 77 to 81.

apparently she had to have a bucket to be sick in before every time she went live on new faces when she presented it.

Originally posted by DoctorQui View Post
      I was only talking to someone about her this morning, how odd!

Wasn't a huge fan of her's tbh. She was one of those rare all rounders wasn't she, singer, comedienne etc I remember when she hosted the relaunch of 'New Faces' and Spitting Image, in there usual cruel way made a very funny puppet of her that resembled one of those tv pepperami models in a ginger wig!

Comment

I liked her. She had a 'give em a chance' appeal to herself with the contestants on New Faces...she was also very pretty until the cancer ravaged her.

Comment

She always had that purple tinted hair. I always said "When I grow up I am going to have my hair coloured like Marti Caine's!" and I have at times but I don't seem to be able to pull it off like she did. I like the story about the origin of her stage name. It's an abbreviation of 'tomato cain' put forward by her husband.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I was a bit young to remember her but her life story is worth one of those BBC4 docudramas.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

here she is rich.

http://youtu.be/CCP_sq2B01o

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I was a bit young to remember her but her life story is worth one of those BBC4 docudramas.

Comment

Wasn't it Marti Cain who was "From Luton Airport?"
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                  Wasn't it Marti Cain who was "From Luton Airport?"
                  Do you mean Lorraine Chase

Comment

That's her in the Campari adverts
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                    X