Last of the Summer Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of the Summer Wine

My favourite television comedy. Like the early ones mostly, but like the modern ones a lot too. My favourite character at the moment is Entwistle, he is very devious and his pick up truck is brilliant. Today's episode 'Has Anyone Seen Barry's Midlife Crisis?' involved Entwistle making people think he had a dog, using a recording of a dog barking. Very funny at the end with his invisible dog 'barking' and Entwistle looking as though the dog was pulling him, which confused Cooper and Walsh. Been a fan since 10 Jan, and love every moment of it. This may have been posted before, so apologies if it has.

John

Re: Last of the Summer Wine

Another Summer Wine site fo ya.
    http://www.summerwine.net/

Comment

I am a member of that site, did you not look at my signature?

Comment

I have been a fan of Lsat Of The Summer Wine for as long as I can recall. It being on on a Sunday alone as it used to be, is notastalgic in differing way's for me, being a young kid, then a Teenager, them a young Adult.

It is amazing it ran for as long as it did, though i'[m so sad it's not on TV anymore, but I guess what with a lot of the older cast sadly passing away and other changes, it could never be what it was. I liked the early year's, as well as the 1980s and 1990s. Bill Owen's acting was amazing, it was so great how Bill being a Londoner playing a Yorkshire-man was so so convincing - that is so often a diificult task to achieve I think and is the Hallmark of great acting.

How I can have one favourite character, I just can not pick - Barry was hillarious but so dry in how certain aspects, that not smiling was impossible it was similar too for Pearl I think, who was so witty beyond words I can even think of. All the ladies - Nora, Ivy and Wesley's wife played by the amazing Dame Thora Heard - hyow they all drank their Coffee/Tea at the same time was pure class. Wesley was a perfect creation as a character, I know so many people in life who had to act in certain way's so not to offend their husband or wife, like Wesley had to. He was the kind of bloke who always had good intentions but it never worked out - but what an amazing character Wesley was.

Auntie Wainwright was also a ledgendary character too, the trick's Auntie Wainwright tried to achieve a sale in her shop was just beyond pure clas, which again i'm at a loss for words.

Bill Owen who played Compo was a ledgend of a character and so led the way when with the other's (Foggy and Clegy), but if it makes sense for me Compo as much as he always never achieved what Foggy etc gave him as a challenge etc, the way Bill portrayed it for me was just too classic for a description. I always knew he had a heart that was in the right plae, even if the character did not always sow it, you knew it existed in his harm and outlandishly funny style as a character. This easily made his character what it was I think, but still Compo would of been nothing without all the others and neither would they. Last Of The Summer Wine for me was just a so great indeed, with so many laughs and a gentle old type way of live.

Sorry I hope i've not gone on too much in my reply, just I could talk about the programme for ever if given a chance to.

80sChav
        Last edited by 80sChav; 22-08-2012, 21:41.

Comment

Same here!

Comment

Never Really Got Into this

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Why? Three Retired Gentlemen, Loads of Laughs! Try one of the older ones, they're my fave.

John

Comment

I was driving home from the Yorkshire Dales yesterday. I wanted to visit Holmfirth (the series location) on the way home to London. It was pouring with rain, so had to give it a miss.
                I have such fond memories LOTSW. I often wondered what it was that really made the series so successful. Could it be that each episode is surrounded by green fields and landscapes that has a calming effect and serenity. Try watching a few episodes on YouTube or a TV channel to see if it has a de-stressing effect.
                Anyway, I will probably drive up in a weeks time to the peak district where the show was set.
                Has anyone been to the LOTSW exhibition at the filming location?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                  I was driving home from the Yorkshire Dales yesterday. I wanted to visit Holmfirth (the series location) on the way home to London. It was pouring with rain, so had to give it a miss.
                  I have such fond memories LOTSW. I often wondered what it was that really made the series so successful. Could it be that each episode is surrounded by green fields and landscapes that has a calming effect and serenity. Try watching a few episodes on YouTube or a TV channel to see if it has a de-stressing effect.
                  Anyway, I will probably drive up in a weeks time to the peak district where the show was set.
                  Has anyone been to the LOTSW exhibition at the filming location?
                  I remember looking at an exhibition in Holmfirth in the late 1980s, when the show was probably at it's peak.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                  X