Keeping Up Appearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Up Appearances

British Sitcom from the 90's - 1990 to 1995.

Keeping Up Appearances is a British sitcom created and written by Roy Clarke for the BBC. Centered on the life of eccentric, social-climbing snob Hyacinth Bucket (who insists that her surname is pronounced Bouquet), the sitcom portrays a social hierarchy-ruled British society. It jokes about a small obsessive world where a determined snobbish middle class woman desperately and continually looks for opportunities to climb the social ladder, despite being wedged between a working-class background and upper-class aspirations.

The show stars Patricia Routledge as Hyacinth Bucket, the pompous and self-serving central woman obsessed by perfection, image and etiquette, and also includes performances from Clive Swift as her calm, tolerant and long-suffering husband, Richard Bucket, and Josephine Tewson as her neighbour Elizabeth, a friendly pushover who is continually fearful of Hyacinth's presence. In Series Two Elizabeth's recently divorced brother Emmett (David Griffin) moves in with her. Judy Cornwell, Geoffrey Hughes and Mary Millar play Hyacinth's relatives, Daisy, Onslow her husband, and Rose, of whose working-class presence she is continually fearful. Her dotty father lives with Daisy, and appears to be Hyacinth's sole reason for visiting such a declasse neighbourhood. On the other hand, she loses no opportunity to brag about her sister, Violet ("It's my sister, Violet! The one with the Mercedes, sauna and room for a pony!"), who has lots of money and a shaky marriage. There is also her never-seen son, Sheridan, a perpetual student at University, about whom Hyacinth constantly brags. He frequently calls home asking for money. It is strongly hinted that Sheridan may be gay, which seems to be obvious to all except Hyacinth.

One of my all-time favourites. Hyacinth is my favourite character. What about you?

John

Re: Keeping Up Appearances

It's one of very few sitcoms I can watch over and over again.

Comment

Onslow was beast. Who needs a remote to turn the tv over when you can smack it and get the same results.

Comment

I liked this, my Mum can be a bit like Hyacinth at times.

Also it was nice to see that Roy Clarke could write something a bit different to his normal fare.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I have always liked Keeping Up Appearances, it was a great Comedy that was so well acted by everyone in it. I doubt there ever will be another Comedy similar to it, ever gain. Nostalgic times indeed, when I think about the 1990s.

80sChav

Comment

Working...
          X