Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite Books or stories from childhood.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Books or stories from childhood.....

Like several others here, 'Stig Of The Dump' was definitely a favourite.

Also the Enid Blyton 'Adventure' books - 'The Sea Of Adventure', 'The Ship Of Adventure', Mountain, Valley, etc. You get the idea.

There was also a book called 'Saturday By Seven' - I forget the author, but it was about a boy who had to run a series of errands for people in order to raise a pound (which would've been a lot more in the '70s), by 7p.m. on a Saturday so he could go on a camping trip or something. Anyway, there was a lot of car washing and blackberry picking involved. The cover drawing was of the boy - Peter - washing a car with a hose.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Anything by Roald Dahl, James Herriot & Gerald Durrell (still all my faves!) Plus I loved reading animal books, especially veterinary texts (the gorier the pictures, the better! Sorry for putting you off years worth of food at the dinner table Mum, lol!!)

Comment

My favourites were Enid Blyton (ALL but especially Malory Towers and The Secret Seven )
        Stig of the Dump as someone has mentioned !
        Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield ( I htink??)
        A`Little Princess which I htink was Francis Hodgson Burnett or soemthing....but I had two favourites, even favouriter than Enid.....The Just William series and Toms Midnight Garden...I love TMG and read it at least once a year even now, what magic is in htose pages <3 xxxx
        It is hell knowing that your health will keep you out of here, for many, many years......

Comment

i had lots of favourite books as a kid.
          only one i can remember is the B F G.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I completely forgot about Roald Dahl's 'Danny The Champion Of The World' - especially the chapter where Danny drove an Austin Seven to Hazell's Wood late at night to find his Pheasant poacher father.
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I loved:
              The Tales from The Faraway Tree
              Magic cooking pot
              Charlottes Web
              Georges Marvellous Medicine
              Chocolate book (had recipes included in the story for everything chocolate!!) lol
              The Serendipity books, I still have the collection, all with amazing art about mythical creatures and animals and they always had a moral to the story at the end, like keep your room tidy or the monser will eat all your stuff LOL love em!

Comment

The secret seven books were a favourite read during my first and second year of secondary school.Apart from these the only two other story books I actually loved the storys enough to actually obtain was the Hobbit,and the most important book I have ever to read as a child,Watership down both at primary school.Lost my copy of this around 1983.I managed to purchased another copy of watership down yesterday from one of our charity shops and started to read it again last night,the first time in about 30 years.

Comment

Tootles the Taxi
                  The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe
                  Prince Caspian
                  The magic bagpipes
                  All the Roald Dahl books
                  The turbulent term of Tyke Tyler
                  The Iron Man
                  The house that moved
                  Five on a treasure island
                  Five get into trouble
                  The Osbourne book of Spooks, Spectres and Haunted houses
                  The Observer's book of commercial vehicles
                  Ladybird's Levers, pulleys and engines

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	catinhat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	260091

My all time favourite book

Comment

Re: Favourite Books or stories from childhood.....

I can't think of the titles but I liked anything by Richard Scarry.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Roald Dahl. My faves were James and the Giant Peach and Danny the Champion of the World. I also had a Puffin book called Little Pete Stories but I can't remember the author, and a book featuring Milly Molly Mandy which I also liked.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                          I can't think of the titles but I liked anything by Richard Scarry.
                          Oh I'm so glad someone else liked Richard Scarry! I just loved his animal characters (Huckle, Lowly Worm, Spud Bug and all the others), as well as the stories. Some of them ("What Do People Do All Day?", "Busy, Busy World") were quite educational, without you realising, as they were so much fun. A few years ago, I was talking to a schoolteacher, and mentioned my love of Richard Scarry, and she sniffily told me that there was "FAR too much going on on the page..."
                          Well, it never did me any harm, Mrs. Snotty School Ma'am...

I loved the Secret Seven books, Black Beauty, The Tale of Tom Kitten and my favourite story of all, "The Toymaker's Daughter, " by Ursula Moray Williams. I found it round at dad's a while ago, brought it home and read the whole book in a couple of hours - I still found it as magical, after all this time.
                          However, I also loved encyclopaedias, especially ones about natural history or medical stuff - one of my favourites was "500 Animals from A - Z."

Comment

Recently I've reread the Neverending Story again and only now I've noticed how different the book and the movie are. I like both but each has it's own taste, depicting in my mind in different shades, sound with different voices... Anyway, Neverending Story always brings me back to warm and cosy times of childhood.

Comment

+ Railway Children

+ Cider With Rosie (a school standard book in English class)

+ The Store (about Harrods Department store about how it started and how it became posh, as it is now)
                              sigpic
                              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Lord of the flies
                                treasure island
                                moby dick

Strangely all seafaring stories!
                                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                                X