Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite Books or stories from childhood.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favourite Books or stories from childhood.....

Anything by Roald Dahl (and I don't mean Tales of the Unexpected) - he was the JK Rowling of his day.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Heidi by Joanna Spyri was one of my favorites, also Bambi by Felix Salten.

I have some fond memories of those precious little Beatrix Potter books too with the tipped in colour-plate on the cover. Our school library had most of them I think.

I also liked a version of Heidi for tv, not the Shirley Temple, I think maybe it was something dubbed in from some continental production. We also got The Phoenix and The Carpet, the Railway Children and The Secret Garden as tv serials or full-length specials, I still haven't 'read' those however.

A little older there was the Tripods trilogy books, they were exciting, and along with a couple by Robert A Heinlein my first taste of science fiction. There is a band in Seattle circa from the mid-'80s named Capping Day so I wasn't the only ones into those books! Sad they never got to complete the tv adaptation...

Going backwards maybe before I could read I remember loving these books of lots of animals in clothing going about their day in elaborate town scenes... Richard Scary? A bit like the Where's Waldo without Waldo, or a dutch artist who does these large scenes with lots of cartoon people in them. Jan van Haaseteren (they sell a lot of jigsaw puzzles of his).

I also would go over cheap comic books many times, mostly we had U.S. ones in colour, and in with them were some things like Noddy and Uncle Wiggley. Also, even if the content was a bit over my head, collections of newspaper cartoons by Giles and a Canadian version named Norris. We would trade comics and things like that with other kiddies in the neighbourhood or at school.

Oh, and there was a very nicely illustrated book on dinosaurs, I wish I knew which one, I remember sort of b&w art with one colour extra added to it.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I don't recall any favourites as such but I enjoyed the books of Isaac Asimov a lot!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          I don't recall any favourites as such but I enjoyed the books of Isaac Asimov a lot!
          Never heard of him!
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

He held records for number of books of all sorts, fiction and non-fiction, published at one time I believe. I keep meaning to read his commentary on the Bible someday (having an interest in comparative theology and writings about origins etc.)

Did anyone ever have any Sooty books? I have a selection of the things now, I got into collecting various annuals and I love the old Harry Corbetts I've been able to see. I'm not sure how much Mr. Corbett had to do with the books but the artwork is usually well done if not quite up there with Clangers and Bagpuss' Peter Firmin illustrations. There were Sooty annuals starting from the late '50s, and little story books with dust jackets mentioning a 'TV Town', and some other thin middle sized ones, plus he was in TV Comic like Muffin The Mule I think (co-starring Sweep I'm sure).
            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

What about the Happy Families trilogy of books by Allan Ahlberg? His wife Jannet illustrated them - I always associate them with the school library on Friday afternoons and borrowing one of them a week.

Mr Tick the Teacher was basically a satire on how schools close down due to falling number of pupils on role - his six kids were pupils in their "school" and were represented as different ones in different classes. It was only a few years later when I realised that the "Tick" bit in his surname was obvious referring to when teachers marked our work.

Also, Miss Jump the Jockey; Master Salt the Sailor's Son; Miss Wobble the Waitress - any more? - I think that there were at least a dozen of them. I know that Children's BBC did a series based on those in the books either in the late 1980s or early 1990s - not to be confused with that Andrew O'Connor game show of the same name from 1993.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The cat in the hat comes to mind...really sparked the imagination of this 10 year old.
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Dr Seuss, methinks?
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The obvious Mr Men books - never got the full set. Also got the Mr Men annuals - they were numbered such as No 3 or No 4 and never had the year on the front cover, but I guess that they were from the late 1970s. Animation such as that never seem to date in the same way as people did back then.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      Dr Seuss, methinks?
                      Tiz he...
                      Attached Files
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Green eggs and ham.

(Long before Edwina Currie of course).
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

As a child at school I enjoyed reading the Griffin Pirate stories by Sheila McCullagh.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            Never heard of him!
                            Hi,

If you're serious, you may know the films that have been made from some of his stories:

Fantastic Voyage (Stephen Boyd, Donald Pleasance, Raquel Welch)
                            Bicentennial Man (Robin Williams, Sam Neill)
                            I, Robot (Will Smith)

Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Hi,

If you're serious, you may know the films that have been made from some of his stories:

Fantastic Voyage (Stephen Boyd, Donald Pleasance, Raquel Welch)
                              Bicentennial Man (Robin Williams, Sam Neill)
                              I, Robot (Will Smith)

I am still not very familiar of him.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                                As a child at school I enjoyed reading the Griffin Pirate stories by Sheila McCullagh.
                                McCullagh also wrote the Puddle Lane stories (as most people know, it was developed into a children's TV series for Yorkshire TV in the mid to late 1980s); and also the One, Two, Three and Away reading book stories that most Infant schools had in the mid 1980s - Billy Blue Hat, Roger Red Hat, etc.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X