1980s Channel 4 DIY show (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980s Channel 4 DIY show (UK)

Hi. Does anyone remember the name of the programme that used to be on channel4 in probably 1985/6 that told you how to make furniture out of junk found in skips? I remember there was a male presenter that showed you, for example, how to take a wooden palette out of skip and turning it into a futon, or make a bbq out of an oil drum. Please help.

Re: 1980s Channel 4 DIY show (UK)

Hi it sounds a bit like Change That, with Mark Curry but that was more 90's I think and also on the BBC
    Heather

Comment

Hi Heather74. Thanks but itwas definitely a mid-80s Channel 4 show, with a dark-haired softly-spoken male presenter, who made very stylish 80s furniture out of junk from skips. I'm going mad not remembering what it was called

Comment

I remember this very well. It was a series called 'Space Craft' and it did indeed air on channel 4 I think in the late 80s.

I remember the emphasis was on making the most of what space you had, and I do remember the presenter rifling through skips to make all sorts of furniture for free; a bed made from an old wooden pallet, a coffee table made from one of those wooden reels you see cable wound round, etc. Always thought that in these financially difficult times an updated version would be a great idea.

A quick google didn't come up with much, but there was a book to accompany the series, I presume written by the presenter, Rick Ball. Published in 1987 so I guess that was the year of transmission. Its still available through amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Craft-.../dp/0540011185

Comment

Well done soup dragon
          Heather

Comment

Soup Dragon, you are an absolute star! I would never have remembered the name in a million years. This is exactly right. Thank you so so much! I can get the book now (You are also right about the fact that this show should be updated for our times).
            Last edited by mokanneh; 02-09-2012, 20:22. Reason: addition

Comment

You're very welcome

I've also ordered a copy of the book, thanks for reminding me of the series

Comment

Originally posted by soup dragon View Post
                I remember this very well. It was a series called 'Space Craft' and it did indeed air on channel 4 I think in the late 80s.

I remember the emphasis was on making the most of what space you had, and I do remember the presenter rifling through skips to make all sorts of furniture for free; a bed made from an old wooden pallet, a coffee table made from one of those wooden reels you see cable wound round, etc. Always thought that in these financially difficult times an updated version would be a great idea.

A quick google didn't come up with much, but there was a book to accompany the series, I presume written by the presenter, Rick Ball. Published in 1987 so I guess that was the year of transmission. Its still available through amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Craft-.../dp/0540011185

Sorry it was not Space Craft. I have just got bthe book from your link and space craft is about living in small spaces (not a bad book) and not about making furniture it may have been Rick Ball as presenter though.

Comment

Hate to contradict you, but it was 'Space Craft'.

As you say, the book does indeed focus more on compact living, taking inspiration from various sources (Japanese, submarines, loft conversions etc.). The TV series however did feature funiture made from junk, specifically the 'pallet - futon' mentioned in mokanneh's original post.

Further investigation turned up some more info, including transmission dates;

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/series/13738

'Series on making the most out of small living spaces and decorating/furnishing on a small budget. GB, Malone Gill productions. Tx C4 01/06/87 - 06/07/87'

Rick Ball also co-presented (along with Ray Brookes) another similar series called 'The Scrimpers'. There's also a clip on youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4LqpfhrxeU

It is tempting to think that 'the scrimpers' is the series mokanneh was originally thinking of, but it aired in 1994, not the mid 80s.

Comment

The show was Low Tech, an earlier series by Rick Ball.

BFI info on the series: http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/series/10217

The book that preceded the show: http://www.amazon.com/Low-Tech-Fast-...dp/0385279051/

Comment

Know this is an old thread but was trying to remember the name of this series myself just today .
                      We should ALL be recycling stuff to use , and I do mean use .
                      Most recycle only to sell off on eBay so they can afford to buy modern mail order furniture that costs £££££ - which on arrival is always cheap junk ! Work that one out !
                      Thanks to munkeh , yes the original series I watched in the 80's was LOW TECH .
                      I remember this from 1983/4 . Channel 4 came online in late 1982 before Christmas .
                      I remember watching this superb series shortly after - I can pinpoint the year(s) as I wrote off to Channel 4 for the recycling workbook that accompanied the series , just before moving country .
                      The series and the workbook were superb btw
                      Did not know about the other two later programmes though ( thanks to soup dragon ! ) .

Comment

Working...
                      X