Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to school on your Birthday

Default Re: Going to school on your Birthday

My brother was once egged on his birthday while at secondary school!
    The Trickster On The Roof

My birthday fell right at the start of the long summber holiday so I never had to go to school. But I was still called out in Assembly by the Head of my Primary School, together with other childrens whose birthday was over the holiday. We'd get a Smartie from the Smartie box - not tubes - for each year. Being able to eat sweets in school seems so cool back then although I did try to hold on them as long as I could. We didn't celebrate birthdays in any of my other schools

Friday Assembly. Everyone in school looking forward towards whoever was presenting (maybe another time I'll talk about school assembly in another thread). A cake made from an upturned industrial sized margarine tub decorated like a cake would be paraded up front before calling whoever had a birthday in that week up. They would blow the candles and then stand uncomfortably while classes 1 through 5 sang happy Birthday to them. Teachers got the same treatment too. The 'cake' was super beat up and replaced the year I left from what I remember. It went from being blue to green. I'm guessing because blue is a boys colour and green is unisex so didn't cause upset. Or maybe that's what ribbon was cheap at the textile store. I'll never know.

When I moved up into big school things changed drastically. I quickly learned that the bumps were something I should avoid. I should be thankful that my attitude and disposition within my school group was what it was at the time. A lot of people talked about doing the bumps or other birthday related stuff but none of it ever come to fruition. I think the people involved knew for certain that I'd make sure they got what they deserved when their time rolled around. Once I got into my latter days in education Birthdays just became another tricky day.

I dont remember anything special happening for your birthday at primary school.....at senior school it was pretty much the same except if you were unlucky you got the bumps ........today i work in school..........we take in goodies to share in the staff room, collegues in your year group give gifts and I personally tend to buy the children I work with a lolly type sweet that they take home at the end of the day.

I think I was rather lucky in both my schools that I was missed.Not popular enough in primary to be shown up in front of the school,and hardly ever at secondary to get caught out there by anybody.At work I tried to get that day off,these days I tend to take a week close to the actual day off just as a presant to myself.My last employer used to give cards out on peoples birthdays so knowing this I gave the right year but wrong month and day just to be awkward when I started there.As long as they know your age and year of birth the actual date of birth I have always seen as something an employer need not know.The tax and insurance have all the info on file anyway.Those close to me knew when it was but never said anything.It bacame a running joke on my employer.

I never went to school on my birthday, as I was born on New Years Day, 1st January.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBoo View Post
    I never went to school on my birthday, as I was born on New Years Day, 1st January.
    you lucky swine !

I never had the bunps but I did my best to distance myself, though thinking of it another way from say Year 4/5 (being 8 or 9 years old to the First Year of Comphrensive) I had a close circle of friends and one great best friend who was always there as a good friend and support if needed, even though it was different with those in the Inner Circle, even though they could be described as friends but not always friends if this makes sense.

Still though some never liked you you some day's some sort of strangeness was there that stopped any potiental birthday bumps. Though at Comprhensive it was different, but by the time i'd changed School's the idea of birthday bumps was not a done thing as such then.

80sChav

yes i see what you mean by friends but are not true friends.

but yes the birthday bumps where a very nasty cruel thing mate.

the bumps where worse when it got to secondary school etc.

there was real cruelty in them.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    I never had the bunps but I did my best to distance myself, though thinking of it another way from say Year 4/5 (being 8 or 9 years old to the First Year of Comphrensive) I had a close circle of friends and one great best friend who was always there as a good friend and support if needed, even though it was different with those in the Inner Circle, even though they could be described as friends but not always friends if this makes sense.

Still though some never liked you you some day's some sort of strangeness was there that stopped any potiental birthday bumps. Though at Comprhensive it was different, but by the time i'd changed School's the idea of birthday bumps was not a done thing as such then.

80sChav
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

i use to bob school on me bithday that way didnt get egged lol
    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE