• Show
Clear All

Re: Going to school on your Birthday

should of been at my school they was for ever given people the bumps lol
    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

With a good kicking thrown in...
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Id think that was common in most schools mate.
        I seen it happen to a few people and then i said oops i guess its there birthdays.

Could be pretty rough couldnt it.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
        should of been at my school they was for ever given people the bumps lol
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

A friend who once lived in Lancashire never went to school on his birthday because it was in Wakes Week in June. Schools in Lancashire once had Wakes Week as a holiday instead of the half term break in May. His younger brother had his birthday in May and went to school.

His family moved to Hampshire where they have conventional school holidays. My friend now ended up going to school on his birthday but his younger brother had his birthday during the half term break.

Wakes Week has since been abolished and schools in Lancashire now have a half term break in May.

Comment

My birthday was in August, towards the end of that month - it would be a Bank Holiday if it fell on a Monday. I didn't need to go to school on that day, but if it had been a week later then it would have been a different story. I visited Glasgow for my birthday recently, and because of the fact that their August Bank Holiday is at the start of August and the fact that their summer holidays are earlier than in England, it would have meant that I would have gone to school on my birthday, hence the fact that some Scottish kids had to go to school on some days when Wacaday was on with the song "it's Wacaday, no school today - so what you're going to do?" I saw kids going out of school in uniform on the day when it was a Bank Holiday south of the border.

To me, going to school on one's birthday is like going to school on Christmas Day - it didn't seem right for some reason, and I suppose that as I had got used to my birthday not being a school day growing up, that it would seem bizarre. In around 1992 my school held a referendum where the number of terms proposed to be changed and so we would be working throughout August - needless to say, hardly anyone voted in favour of it and wanted to keep the term times as they were. If it ain't broken, then don't fix it methinks.

But in many ways, as my birthday was at the end of August, I had often associated it with dread because the holidays were to end in a week's time and that I had to go back to school again. Cue going to BHS and the school uniform outfitters trying to get new uniform and kit for school. It was only after I left school that things were looking up - almost anyway...
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              Same here I can't remember anyone having that done to them at any of the schools I went to.
              Agreed here Richard - this was very extremley similar for me, as too, too what applied to First Years/Year 7s having their head flushed down the toilet too

80sChav

Comment

I just cannot imagine my birthday being an "ordinary day" as a child. If it had been on a Wednesday for example, having to get up, get into school uniform, go to school, do the same lessons as on any other Wednesday for example, etc. It would be like not having a birthday if you know what I mean. You would probably feel "this my own special day - how can I make it special or unique?" knowing that you can't do that without breaking school rules!

The tradition of the "Birthday Bumps" and the flashed down the toilet as mentioned above, is a darn good reason for not wanting to go to school on that day, and the fact that the class registers had our dates of births inside them, (and almost anyone could find it if they could), would be a disaster if anyone found out.

I suppose that as my birthday is in August, I have never given it a proper thought.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  I just cannot imagine my birthday being an "ordinary day" as a child. If it had been on a Wednesday for example, having to get up, get into school uniform, go to school, do the same lessons as on any other Wednesday for example, etc. It would be like not having a birthday if you know what I mean. You would probably feel "this my own special day - how can I make it special or unique?" knowing that you can't do that without breaking school rules!

The tradition of the "Birthday Bumps" and the flashed down the toilet as mentioned above, is a darn good reason for not wanting to go to school on that day, and the fact that the class registers had our dates of births inside them, (and almost anyone could find it if they could), would be a disaster if anyone found out.

I suppose that as my birthday is in August, I have never given it a proper thought.
                  My Birthday is Easter-time George so I guessI got lucky with Easter in that respect and never had the Birthday Bumps

Though in another way my Primary was an awesome friendly School - where 6 to 8 of us was top big mates until First/2nd Year in Secondary and it all changed and the group disolved - but in all honesty I bet that out of 5 Secondary Birthdays - such a crowd willing to give me the "Bumps" may-be had 2 opportunities from 5 if that (factoring Easter/Inset Days etc) or days by chgance I'd got the Dentist/Doctor and the bad guys was off the scene!

It would never of been like Ziggy with Robbie ion Grange Hill in 86 (S90 though) as as much as i adored them two and dreamed of having mates "like that" we know Ziggy through at least Gonch, Hollo and Trev wanted to give Robbie the "Bumps", but as I say - though my Primary was the best ever and I wish Secondary (at the first one was like that) and it was'nt my "frends" a t Primary as such would'nt go that far as it was a Homely Little Place with possibly 1 Bad Apple from Years 1 to 6(if any, or if any dared embark on such an idea)
                  Also though on reflection and in hindsight we an Headmaster of "Joan Ferguson with slight Me Morris traits"" in him and no way would he of tolerated any such a behaviour as would not the vast majority of each Class' Teacher's (which amounted to 6 I think) and he just made that Primary - that we all shared as best we could and was kind best we knew how and made it "home from home", regardless of bad Birthday beahviour" towards other Kids!!

Re my first Secondary - yeah it was bad and "Bully Central" but bad as in bad but not them lengths .... though then again, have I time for a full book on that place and other highly dubious activities (of un-school/sportmanship (if you wanna term it that) lol!!

80sChav

Comment

My birthday is on January 4th. I'm either at school or still on winter break depending on the school year.

Comment

Originally posted by NoughtiesKid View Post
                      My birthday is on January 4th. I'm either at school or still on winter break depending on the school year.
                      Mine was Easter too (in the Holiday context kind of way) Noughtieskid, so in-varably I got away with like you do/did/are, if your still at school as your post reads

Either way regardless - it's nice to meet you and have an appreciation of yesteryear from younger people, if I have/am reading your post/reply correctly .... like this is so cool, that yes "I look back at my Mum's era of the 60s", but to meet somebody (again if so) who is living it through 2 different times at once (era's) is like pure awesome! Hope you like it here too btw mate

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by NoughtiesKid View Post
                        I have worked it out as to whether you had to go to school on your birthday if it had fallen on 4th January - I think that it is a bit like this:

Monday - Yes - New Year was the previous week and there has been a weekend after that, and so everything is back to normal by the Monday - Back to Normal Monday as I often call it!
                        Tuesday - Possibly no as it is the day after the Bank Holiday on Monday 3rd January in lieu of New Year's Day being on a Saturday.
                        Wednesday - Possibly no as it is two days after the Bank Holiday on Monday 2nd January in lieu of New Year's Day being on a Sunday.
                        Thursday - Almost certainly yes - When New Year's Day fell on a Monday, we had the week ahead off and went back on 8th January, although in some LEAs schools (where schools go back midweek, worst luck) some maybe back at school by the 4th.
                        Friday - Almost certainly no - New Year's Day is on a Tuesday, and so the chances are schools doing go back until Monday 7th.
                        Saturday - No for obvious reasons.
                        Sunday - No for obvious reasons.

So, I would guess that anyone with a 4th January birthday would more likely to be at school on that date if it falls on a Monday or a Thursday.

Mind you, I hated it when Nottingham City Council became a Unitary Authority in 1998 (even though I had left school a few years after it happened), but when good old Nottinghamshire County Council were the LEA responsible for Nottingham City schools in the 1980s they were more generous with holidays. When Christmas Day fell on Sunday in 1988, we broke up on Friday 16th December 1988 and went back on Monday 9th January 1989 - we had three weeks off for Christmas! Not many schools or LEAs would do that now, and on top of that, we had party games and things like that in the final week before Christmas, whereas as far as I know, it's business as usual until the bell goes on the Friday afternoon before Christmas. We (almost) never had it so good back then! I am so glad that I am back in Nottinghamshire County Council territory again after my house move a few years ago!
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Further to my previous post...

In Scotland (because of the 2nd January holiday), 4th January is not really a school day in Scotland as it is a bit like this:

Monday - No - The "2nd of January" holiday is on the 4th because the 2nd was on a Saturday.
                          Tuesday - No - The "2nd of January" holiday is on the 4th (again) because the 2nd was on a Sunday, and so the New Year holiday is on the 3rd
                          Wednesday - Possibly no as it is one and two days after the New Year holiday Monday and Tuesday, in lieu of New Year's Day being on a Sunday.
                          Thursday - Possibly no as it is soon after Monday and Tuesday the 1st and 2nd January respectively.
                          Friday - Possibly no as it is close to the weekend and only two days after the 2nd January holiday.
                          Saturday - No for obvious reasons.
                          Sunday - No for obvious reasons.

I would be more than pleased to be corrected if I have got the above list wrong as I don't live in Scotland!

Different councils in Scotland set the dates, I think rather than the Scottish government - it does seem that Scotland seems to have an extra week of holiday before going back to school, simply because of the 2nd January holiday - something that I have wanted the whole United Kingdom for years, especially when 2nd January falls on in most years.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thbankfully being an "April-going on Easter Child" I avoided many a birthday at school (or just avoided the others) as you'd do Swimming etc - if you was rubbish at it, like I was and still am!!

Luckily as much as until First Year and a bit of 2nd Year in Secondary I still had marginally close friends who though (our big group of mates was dwinding) compared to everyone was everyone's mate at Primary - at least they "sort of supported me" and kept me the right side of the dreaded "Birthday Bumps", not as I can ever recall that that was popular round my way though!!

80sChav

Comment

The problem is that Easter could be on a date which could range from anytime within a three week period from the end of March to the middle of April - don't forget that if someone was born on an Easter Sunday, their birthday would probably not fall on Easter Sunday for several decades, never mind years, even if it falls on Sunday itself. I mentioned on the Easter thread a few months ago that this year was only the second time in Queen Elizabeth II's reign that her birthday had fallen on Easter Sunday - there are around 25 to 30 different dates to choose from for Easter Sunday, and so therefore the probability is that one's birthday would only fall on that day once every 25 to 30 years.

At least mine is a Bank Holiday if it falls on a Monday (unless I was in Scotland, that is).
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X