Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to school on your Birthday

Default Going to school on your Birthday

As you all know today IS my birthday It's got me thinking about birthdays gone by especially when it was your birthday on a school day.

Primary School

We got to wear a birthday badge for the day given to us in morning assembly . Girls wore red and the boys badge was blue, IIRC it just simply said the word 'Birthday' on it in white letters.

There was also a big fake birthday cake ( I tried to taste it on my very first day of school thinking it was real!!! I broke a tiny piece of white icing off it as I walked past... It tasted ruddy awful) that the Head Mistress lit candles on for us to blow out, very exciting whether it was your birthday or not!!

We also got a handmade card signed from all at 'Brookhouse Green'.

Then the whole school sang Happy birthday before you sat back down.

At the end of the day we stood at the door with a bag of sweets provided by parents to give each of our class mates as they left the room ( best friends got two )

High School

The threat of being egged or thrown in the skip at the end of the day ;'(

Did your school do anything special?

Default Re: Going to school on your Birthday

Had a feeling you would start thread like this today.

thanks for reminding me that we got badges on our birthdays.

yes at primary school when it was our birthday we did wear a badge with happy birthday on it.
    and it was as you say heather blue for boys pink for girls.

cant remember if we got it in assembly or in the first class of the day.

but yes whoever's birthday it was got a card with the names of all the pupils wrote on it.

i must say it made you feel really special if it was your birthday and wearing your wee badge.

secondary school u told no one although some people got the bumps for there birthday.
    when it came to birthdays in secondary school you where to grown up to get birthday badges etc.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Normally try to avoid going to School or Work on a Birthday

I've never had to go to school on my birthday as I was born on the 25th december .

Happy birthday btw Heather

My sister was lucky that her birthday the 1st of June, always seemed to be in the half term holidays.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Used to do the badges thing in infant and possibly junior school, nothing in secondary though, just another day
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Absolutely nothing happened at any of the schools I went to.

I remember in the first year at school the teacher would bring out a biscuit tin decorated up like a birthday cake & light a single candle for the birthday boy / girl to blow out.
    The Trickster On The Roof

At the risk of ruining yet another thread, my birthday always fell at my least favourite time of the year (summer) and then always (of course) in term time and inevitably on a week day.

The 'bumps' were still the 'punishment' for having a birthday. They were banned eventually.

For those don't recall or are to young to know about this accursed activity, the bumps involved raising the victim up from the floor, spreadeagled on your back, by each limb held by a bully and then crashed down again. If you were fortunate and survived this torture, however short, you were left to writhe on the ground recovering. The less fortunate were stubbed, spat on and pelted with any weapons to hand.

I was caught at least once in my early years, and subsequently ensured I was either off with an imaginary illness or made myself very scarce.

Birthday beats endured by my children in the 90's were mild by comparison.
    Last edited by Pussywillow; 21-09-2012 at 23:07.

i got the bumps pretty mild myself.
    but i kne they could be very rough.

sorry to hear that P.W.

But in secondary school i never let on when my birthday was and im glad i kept it to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow View Post
    At the risk of ruining yet another thread, my birthday always fell at my least favourite time of the year (summer) and then always (of course) in term time and inevitably on a week day.

The 'bumps' were still the 'punishment' for having a birthday. They were banned eventually.

For those don't recall or are to young to know about this accursed activity, the bumps involved raising the victim up from the floor, spreadeagled on your back, by each limb held by a bully and then crashed down again. If you were fortunate and survived this torture, however short, you were left to writhe on the ground recovering. The less fortunate were stubbed, spat on and pelted with any weapons to hand.

I was caught at least once in my early years, and subsequently ensured I was either off with an imaginary illness or made myself very scarce.

Birthday beats endured by my children in the 90's were mild by comparison.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL