Going to school on your Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going to school on your Birthday

I never went to school on my birthday, as I was born on New Years Day, 1st January.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBoo View Post
      I never went to school on my birthday, as I was born on New Years Day, 1st January.
      you lucky swine !

Comment

I never had the bunps but I did my best to distance myself, though thinking of it another way from say Year 4/5 (being 8 or 9 years old to the First Year of Comphrensive) I had a close circle of friends and one great best friend who was always there as a good friend and support if needed, even though it was different with those in the Inner Circle, even though they could be described as friends but not always friends if this makes sense.

Still though some never liked you you some day's some sort of strangeness was there that stopped any potiental birthday bumps. Though at Comprhensive it was different, but by the time i'd changed School's the idea of birthday bumps was not a done thing as such then.

80sChav

Comment

yes i see what you mean by friends but are not true friends.

but yes the birthday bumps where a very nasty cruel thing mate.

the bumps where worse when it got to secondary school etc.

there was real cruelty in them.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          I never had the bunps but I did my best to distance myself, though thinking of it another way from say Year 4/5 (being 8 or 9 years old to the First Year of Comphrensive) I had a close circle of friends and one great best friend who was always there as a good friend and support if needed, even though it was different with those in the Inner Circle, even though they could be described as friends but not always friends if this makes sense.

Still though some never liked you you some day's some sort of strangeness was there that stopped any potiental birthday bumps. Though at Comprhensive it was different, but by the time i'd changed School's the idea of birthday bumps was not a done thing as such then.

80sChav
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

i use to bob school on me bithday that way didnt get egged lol
            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Absolutely hated going to school on my birthday, nothing normally happened except the dreaded bumps. It was worse if the birthday landed on a Friday, as that was the day the local paper came out and we had to hope our parents never put our photo/birthday wishes in it, or everyone in school would know it was your birthday! My parents got well warned not to do it, luckily they didn't!

Comment

Mine always fell in the summer holidays. It was great. No having to wait til you got home to open and play with your pressies. Nice long balmy summer days when it didn't go dark until after 10pm.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Totally agree that going to school on your Birthday years ago was an absolute nightmare ...... always a massive disappointment and if it happened to fall on Assembly Day and your name was read out to the entire school, then worse still !! Times have changed, though, I have to say and when my 8-year old daughter celebrated her Birthday in June this year we sent her into school with a hugesweet hamper full of retro sweets to `crash` out to all her schoolmates !! Made her day ..... did loads for street cred (hers and mine !!) and gave everyone in the class something to talk about for weeks after !!!
                  Last edited by Heather74; 31-10-2012, 12:54. Reason: removed sales links

Comment

We used to give kids the bumps

Comment

We always got the bumps on birthdays - but it was usually very good natured and vigorous but not brutal. The "bumpee" usually enjoyed the attention.

Comment

Never heard of the bumps we got hair pulling during morning assembly one pull for each year by whoever you happened to be standing next to.

Comment

In infants we had a fake cake with about 4 candles in it. It was basically a green china planter filled with green plasticine. It came out in assembly once per week so any kids with a birthday that week got to go to the front and hold the cake while everyone sang the birthday song. It wasn't 'happy birthday', it was some other jolly little ditty that I can still remember the tune to but not the lyrics.

By junior school the cake had been ditched and each person would get up on the front stage and simply declare their name and age, then the school would chant in the most dreary, uninterested monotone ever "We wish you (over long pause), many happy returns on your (over long pause) nth birthday (over long pause) Joe Bloggs.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I do remember the bumps. Never got them myself, it was mostly the boys that fell victim and they were usually administered by one person with knees to the backside rather that the throw in air described elsewhere on the thread.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

In primary school you had to stand in front of the class so they could sing to you

Comment

Wow thats pretty scary a thought.
                                Im not certain if they did that at my primary school when i was there..

Did it happen to you mate

But yes i did get the bumps once or twice.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                                in primary school you had to stand in front of the class so they could sing to you
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X