Going to school on your Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to school on your Birthday

As you all know today IS my birthday It's got me thinking about birthdays gone by especially when it was your birthday on a school day.

Primary School

We got to wear a birthday badge for the day given to us in morning assembly . Girls wore red and the boys badge was blue, IIRC it just simply said the word 'Birthday' on it in white letters.

There was also a big fake birthday cake ( I tried to taste it on my very first day of school thinking it was real!!! I broke a tiny piece of white icing off it as I walked past... It tasted ruddy awful) that the Head Mistress lit candles on for us to blow out, very exciting whether it was your birthday or not!!

We also got a handmade card signed from all at 'Brookhouse Green'.

Then the whole school sang Happy birthday before you sat back down.

At the end of the day we stood at the door with a bag of sweets provided by parents to give each of our class mates as they left the room ( best friends got two )

High School

The threat of being egged or thrown in the skip at the end of the day ;'(

Did your school do anything special?
    Heather

Re: Going to school on your Birthday

Had a feeling you would start thread like this today.

thanks for reminding me that we got badges on our birthdays.

yes at primary school when it was our birthday we did wear a badge with happy birthday on it.
    and it was as you say heather blue for boys pink for girls.

cant remember if we got it in assembly or in the first class of the day.

but yes whoever's birthday it was got a card with the names of all the pupils wrote on it.

i must say it made you feel really special if it was your birthday and wearing your wee badge.

secondary school u told no one although some people got the bumps for there birthday.
    when it came to birthdays in secondary school you where to grown up to get birthday badges etc.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Normally try to avoid going to School or Work on a Birthday

Comment

I've never had to go to school on my birthday as I was born on the 25th december .

Happy birthday btw Heather

Comment

My sister was lucky that her birthday the 1st of June, always seemed to be in the half term holidays.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Used to do the badges thing in infant and possibly junior school, nothing in secondary though, just another day
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Absolutely nothing happened at any of the schools I went to.

Comment

I remember in the first year at school the teacher would bring out a biscuit tin decorated up like a birthday cake & light a single candle for the birthday boy / girl to blow out.

Comment

At the risk of ruining yet another thread, my birthday always fell at my least favourite time of the year (summer) and then always (of course) in term time and inevitably on a week day.

The 'bumps' were still the 'punishment' for having a birthday. They were banned eventually.

For those don't recall or are to young to know about this accursed activity, the bumps involved raising the victim up from the floor, spreadeagled on your back, by each limb held by a bully and then crashed down again. If you were fortunate and survived this torture, however short, you were left to writhe on the ground recovering. The less fortunate were stubbed, spat on and pelted with any weapons to hand.

I was caught at least once in my early years, and subsequently ensured I was either off with an imaginary illness or made myself very scarce.

Birthday beats endured by my children in the 90's were mild by comparison.
                  Last edited by Pussywillow; 21-09-2012, 23:07.

Comment

i got the bumps pretty mild myself.
                    but i kne they could be very rough.

sorry to hear that P.W.

But in secondary school i never let on when my birthday was and im glad i kept it to myself.

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
                    At the risk of ruining yet another thread, my birthday always fell at my least favourite time of the year (summer) and then always (of course) in term time and inevitably on a week day.

The 'bumps' were still the 'punishment' for having a birthday. They were banned eventually.

For those don't recall or are to young to know about this accursed activity, the bumps involved raising the victim up from the floor, spreadeagled on your back, by each limb held by a bully and then crashed down again. If you were fortunate and survived this torture, however short, you were left to writhe on the ground recovering. The less fortunate were stubbed, spat on and pelted with any weapons to hand.

I was caught at least once in my early years, and subsequently ensured I was either off with an imaginary illness or made myself very scarce.

Birthday beats endured by my children in the 90's were mild by comparison.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My brother was once egged on his birthday while at secondary school!

Comment

My birthday fell right at the start of the long summber holiday so I never had to go to school. But I was still called out in Assembly by the Head of my Primary School, together with other childrens whose birthday was over the holiday. We'd get a Smartie from the Smartie box - not tubes - for each year. Being able to eat sweets in school seems so cool back then although I did try to hold on them as long as I could. We didn't celebrate birthdays in any of my other schools

Comment

Friday Assembly. Everyone in school looking forward towards whoever was presenting (maybe another time I'll talk about school assembly in another thread). A cake made from an upturned industrial sized margarine tub decorated like a cake would be paraded up front before calling whoever had a birthday in that week up. They would blow the candles and then stand uncomfortably while classes 1 through 5 sang happy Birthday to them. Teachers got the same treatment too. The 'cake' was super beat up and replaced the year I left from what I remember. It went from being blue to green. I'm guessing because blue is a boys colour and green is unisex so didn't cause upset. Or maybe that's what ribbon was cheap at the textile store. I'll never know.

When I moved up into big school things changed drastically. I quickly learned that the bumps were something I should avoid. I should be thankful that my attitude and disposition within my school group was what it was at the time. A lot of people talked about doing the bumps or other birthday related stuff but none of it ever come to fruition. I think the people involved knew for certain that I'd make sure they got what they deserved when their time rolled around. Once I got into my latter days in education Birthdays just became another tricky day.

Comment

I dont remember anything special happening for your birthday at primary school.....at senior school it was pretty much the same except if you were unlucky you got the bumps ........today i work in school..........we take in goodies to share in the staff room, collegues in your year group give gifts and I personally tend to buy the children I work with a lolly type sweet that they take home at the end of the day.

Comment

I think I was rather lucky in both my schools that I was missed.Not popular enough in primary to be shown up in front of the school,and hardly ever at secondary to get caught out there by anybody.At work I tried to get that day off,these days I tend to take a week close to the actual day off just as a presant to myself.My last employer used to give cards out on peoples birthdays so knowing this I gave the right year but wrong month and day just to be awkward when I started there.As long as they know your age and year of birth the actual date of birth I have always seen as something an employer need not know.The tax and insurance have all the info on file anyway.Those close to me knew when it was but never said anything.It bacame a running joke on my employer.

Comment

Working...
                              X