Chip pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip pans

I have fond memories of our chip pan, that oil encrusted wonder that lived on the hob with its very own basket, always full of old crisp and dry ready to be reused for the next round of chips. I rarely have chips at home now and if I do they're frozen. I don't think I've had proper chips from a chip pan for about 20 years!

Can you still get them? I kinda miss those greasy hand cut chips and I still know how to put a chip pan fire out with a wet tea towel (who didn't!).
    1976 Vintage

Re: Chip pans

oh i remember ours.
    it was a death trap.

we had to keep an eye on it as i remember peeople leaving theirs and the inevitable happened kitchen on fire.
    and of course all that lovely lard in the bottom of the pan.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Have always thought chip pans make the best chips but having seen what a chip pan fire can do at my friends house I'd never have one.

Comment

Chip pans always scared me to death, the way the fat bubbled up at an alarming rate, and splashed up at you.

When I was about 13/14 I started to cook Tea at my Nan's house for her once a week.
        I use to almost throw the chips in a few steps back from the pan afraid of the splash back.
        As an adult I see how stupid that was!!! But at the time it was the only way I dared add the chips to the pan

These days deep fat fryers do the job just as well and are far safer.
        Heather

Comment

I remember seeing a video at school about fires which featured a chip pan fire.

Pouring water on is one of the worst things to do.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            funny enough a fella across the road from my parents house had a bad fire as the result of a chip pan fire.
            there where lots of police and the fire brigade where there was well.

a few times when i lived at home i can remember the chip pan getting out of control and a wet cloth would be put over the top of it. to keep the flames down.

thing is if that fat hits you oit sticks to you and can give you a very bad burn.

that lard u put in the bottom is a death trap in terms of causing a fire and to your health.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            I remember seeing a video at school about fires which featured a chip pan fire.

Pouring water on is one of the worst things to do.

Comment

I was stupid enough to throw water on a pan once. Not a chip pan but a frying pan. It burst into flames but luckily I managed to throw it out the back door into the garden. Parents weren't happy!
              1976 Vintage

Comment

There was one in my house, an old fashioned one, even in the 80s, and it had a glass pyrex lid on it and the basket had two handles. It scared me. Then we got a modern one, that you plugged in and it had a closable lid. It still scared me. It was last used in the mid-90s and then it was put into the cupboard below the sink and left there. I don't know if it was cleaned out or anything and to be honest, I ain't brave enough to look! I thinK I will bin it.
                - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
                - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

yes its a natural reaction to throw water on it.
                  but not all fires are the same and react diffeent to water.

ive seen people throw water on a chip pan fire and it just makes the flames much bigger.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  I was stupid enough to throw water on a pan once. Not a chip pan but a frying pan. It burst into flames but luckily I managed to throw it out the back door into the garden. Parents weren't happy!

Comment

wha would we do today if we didnt have oven chips there be more house fires and loads of work for the fire men lol
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

The public information films from the late 70s & early 80s have always stuck in my mind, and therefore I have never even had a deep fryer, yet alone a chip pan.
                      I have memories of my Nan's chip pan though, and yes, it was very messy indeed.

Comment

My mum set the kitchen alight with a chip pan...................they may have been extremely dangerous, but they did make cracking chips!.

Comment

Not a chip pan fire as such, but I once worked in the kitchens at a hotel that cut every corner in the book with regards to safety/cleaning etc. The oil in the deep fryer was rarely changed and one night, a basket of frozen chips was lowered into the fryer and a minute later, the whole thing exploded. the structure of the oil had broken down after so many fryings, the flash-point of the oil had gotten very low and the high temperature caused the oil to catch fire like an incendiary bomb! One chef got his hat and eyebrows burned off but luckily no-one else was hurt but the kitchen ceiling and the walls around the fryer were scorched badly. The fire brigade ordered the whole place shut down afterwards.

Comment

my mum made fabulous chips using a chip pan when i was a child in the 70s.........i personally wouldn't have one as i've seen what a chip pan fire can do in seconds

Comment

The fire brigade came into school once and gave everybody a big 'what to do with a chip pan fire' sticker to take home and put in the kitchen. My parents did actually put it up and it was there for years.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X