Clear All

Re: Songs you never had a clue what they were on about, but wish youd known

Originally posted by pedro View Post
    do women actually carry on like this?
    I believe so.

Lots of them only want men so the lawn gets mowed

Buzz

Comment

Maybe i just lead a sheltered life, All these songs with like subliminal messages.........

Comment

I'm so excited-pointer sisters, Hearing this for the first time to advertise the price is right,hearing it when I was older was a shock, she's not on a fairground ride excited high as I thought!!!
        Heather

Comment

I only discovered a few weeks ago thatt "Close to me" by the Cure is about
          Mmm....

...How can I put it.(!)

Oh well we are all grown up...

Lets just say solo sex (ahem)!!!!!

Buzz

Comment

The one that sticks in my mind is Centrefold by J Geils band

Images of my ex girlfriends mum singing along to it in the car will go with me to the grave.

Comment

Oh dear...

...My Sharona springs to mind here.

I loved the song but,as any parent of a young child will attest,I only knew the chorus at the time.

At least knowing all the lyrics later on in life shed some light on why my mother would smirk whenever I hummed along.
              'You are a child of the universe,no less than the trees and the stars,you have a right to be here'

Comment

The Reflex by Duran Duran - never understood what it was about when it first came out and still don't now!!! It seems like it's just a random collection of words. :cry:

Comment

..I got news for you..It is!
                  I nominate two songs from the Mid 80's
                  Blow Monkeys..Digging your scene
                  Big Audio Dynamite..stone Thames

Both songs are about A.I.D.S

Comment

Oh..and Alison Moyet's Love Resurrection has some very dubious lyrics..
                    warm injections?? I want you to grow in my hand??

Comment

Boomtown Rats , i don't like mondays

Madness , house of fun

Lou Reed , take a walk on the wild side

Damned , jetboy jetgirl

Comment

I Dont like Mondays was a song written about Brenda Spencer, a 16 year old who shot 10 or so people (killed 2 iirc) and when asked what she thought she was doing her reply was "I dont like Mondays".

Take a walk on the wild side, well does that really need any explaining ? Transexuals, drugs and oral sex...................sounds like a weekend out in Blackpool :-)

House of fun was inspired by a scene in the film Summer of 42 and is basically just about a bloke who has turned 16 and is trying to buy some condoms but the woman behind the counter doesnt recognise the euphamisms he is using to buy them I.E. Party Hats with the featherlite touch, Party poppers that pop in the night etc so she send him to the shop down the road seeing as she is a chemist not a jokers shop :-)

As for The Damned and Jetboy girl i dont know that one and by the sounds of it im glad i dont lol :-)

Woff

Comment

Originally posted by rugga View Post
                          Lou Reed , take a walk on the wild side
                          Yeah, amazing lyrics, basically inspired by Andy Warhol and his group of bizarre friends. Love the song even more having recently seen a documentary where he talks about this. Great story.
                          "My Dad's taller than your Dad."

Comment

"Hengaillaan" - sung by Kirka for Finland in the 1984 Eurovision Song Contest. Quite a catchy song, but I didn't hear it after the contest until recently when I discovered it on You Tube. At the time I was aware that the title meant "Come on let's boogie", but that was all.

When I recently saw the lyrics in at The Diggiloo Thrush, I realised what it was about - someone missing the last train of the day and hanging around the station overnight boogying until the first one next morning. Not a situation I'd particularly like to get into!
                            I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Originally posted by CARROLLKRC View Post
                              Turning Japanese- what a corker of song, not very many people sing i like masterbating , oh like masterbating i really think so!!!!
                              Thank you.
                              I'm the resident smart-**** in my community and I've been telling people this for years!

Comment

There have always been explicit meanings in songs since time began
                                We just assume they are OK because of familliarity

Comment

Working...
                                X