Songs you never had a clue what they were on about, but wish youd known

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Songs you never had a clue what they were on about, but wish youd known

I would love to know what anything by the Cocteau twins was about.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by CARROLLKRC View Post
      Turning Japanese- what a corker of song, not very many people sing i like masterbating , oh like masterbating i really think so!!!!
      On the subject of ...ahem...."sorting oneself out"...."Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones was about the same unsavoury subject as the original lyric was "I wanna hold it, wanna hold it tight!"

"Le Freak" by Chic was inspired by a foul-mouthed doorman at a popular NY nightclub telling Nile Rogers to "**** off" hence the opening stanza " Ahhhhhh....**** off" but of course they changed it to "Freak Out" which was the sensible thing to do as it made Rogers & Edwards filthy rich!

Comment

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
        On the subject of ...ahem...."sorting oneself out"...."Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones was about the same unsavoury subject as the original lyric was "I wanna hold it, wanna hold it tight!"

"Le Freak" by Chic was inspired by a foul-mouthed doorman at a popular NY nightclub telling Nile Rogers to "**** off" hence the opening stanza " Ahhhhhh....**** off" but of course they changed it to "Freak Out" which was the sensible thing to do as it made Rogers & Edwards filthy rich!
        Is that strictly true!! LOL! Aaaaaaah **** off!!!
        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
        sigpic

Comment

Well I new about The Vapours "Turning Japanese" But you have all opened my eyes with all the others mentioned here

Comment

Peek a boo by Siouxsie and the Banshees is really quite rude!!!! I belive it's about a peep show dancer/lap dancer. The lyrics are very suggestive and the music is just mental! That accordion is fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i41W-NIjMfs
            Last edited by stuckinthe80's; 28-08-2009, 18:53. Reason: add link
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

"Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo (Spelling??)
              Extremely naughty.
              It has an "Oral" quality about it
              I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

'Bend it' by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Comment

I thought Hallelujah last year was a curious choice for a Christmas song. People obviously hear the word hallelujah and automatically think it has a religious slant.

Also "A Little Bit More" by Dr Hook is not as innocent as some people think.
                  YouTube - Dr Hook a little bit more

most brazen of all is Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal band though
                  YouTube - Starland Vocal Band Afternoon Delight

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                    I only discovered a few weeks ago thatt "Close to me" by the Cure is about
                    Mmm....

...How can I put it.(!)

Oh well we are all grown up...

Lets just say solo sex (ahem)!!!!!

Buzz
                    well i never knew that. Well you learn something new every day! gonna carry on reading this topic cos im gonna get an education!
                    Last edited by nessie; 31-08-2009, 20:14. Reason: spelling mistake
                    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Comment

this topic reminds me of a conversation i had with a work mate last week.

She was horrified that her 6 year old had learnt all the words to lily allen its not fair!

She said she wanted to gorge her eyes and ears out whenever her little girl started singing it! awww. She will be on one of these websites when she is older moaning that she didnt have a clue!!!
                      I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Comment

"Fall at Your Feet" by Crowded House is not at all innocent!
                        I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison - is about his love of heroin. In the 70s the word "girl" in drug culture is used for drugs that work on the brains hypothalamus region. He uses brown because heroin is normally found as a brown powder (china brown).

Don't Stand So Close to Me by The Police - was inspired by Stings own early life as an english teacher in his 20s which was not much older than his students at the time. From what I read a student of his developed a crush on him which caused many problems. His background in literature is obvious in the line "That famous book by Nabakov". The famous book of course was "Lolita".

Every Breath you Take by the Police - not a love song at all. Saw an interview with Sting years ago and he said it was all about the idea of Big Brother and oppressive Uk government.

Deuce by Kiss - 'Deuce' was a popular name for oral sex in the 60s and 70s. Dunno if that's what the song was about though.
                          Last edited by HG; 02-09-2009, 20:34. Reason: editing sexually explicit reference

Comment

Originally posted by Etch-a-sketch View Post
                            Every Breath you Take by the Police - not a love song at all. Saw an interview with Sting years ago and he said it was all about the idea of Big Brother and oppressive Uk government.
                            I understood it to be out obsession with a former lover, the lyrics seem to reflect this too, not about big brother. It certainly isn't a love song.

Police | Every Breath You Take lyrics

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=548

Squeeze - Cool for Cats all about one night stands and diseases
                            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Etch-a-sketch View Post
                              Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison - is about his love of heroin. In the 70s the word "girl" in drug culture is used for drugs that work on the brains hypothalamus region. He uses brown because heroin is normally found as a brown powder (china brown).
                              With all due respect, this is utter poo.

What part of these lyrics can be interpreted as drugs references?

Hey where did we go,
                              Days when the rains came
                              Down in the hollow,
                              Playin' a new game,
                              Laughing and a running hey, hey
                              Skipping and a jumping
                              In the misty morning fog with
                              Our hearts a thumpin' and you
                              My brown eyed girl,
                              You my brown eyed girl.

Whatever happened
                              To Tuesday and so slow
                              Going down the old mine
                              With a transistor radio
                              Standing in the sunlight laughing,
                              Hiding behind a rainbow's wall,
                              Slipping and sliding
                              All along the water fall, with you
                              My brown eyed girl,
                              You my brown eyed girl.

Do you remember when we used to sing,
                              Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da

So hard to find my way,
                              Now that I'm all on my own.
                              I saw you just the other day,
                              My how you have grown,
                              Cast my memory back there, Lord
                              Sometime I'm overcome thinking 'bout
                              Making love in the green grass
                              Behind the stadium with you
                              My brown eyed girl
                              You my brown eyed girl

Do you remember when we used to sing
                              Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da.

Err..

NONE
                              Last edited by HG; 02-09-2009, 20:31. Reason: removing links at posters request

Comment

Also..China brown???
                                What is that? it does not even exist.
                                Last edited by HG; 03-09-2009, 08:06. Reason: be polite please

Comment

Working...
                                X