Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Songs you never had a clue what they were on about, but wish youd known

Originally posted by pantherpink View Post
    I think many of Duran Duran's songs are a teeny weeny bit rude! Hungry Like The Wolf springs to mind
    I agree. Listen to the noises at the end of the 12" (Night) version. She sounds very happy.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
      I have heard of Brown as a slang term and China White, but not China Brown
      China White is mentioned in the song 'White Lines' By Grandmaster and Melle Mel as a ref to cocaine. Never heard of china brown though!!!
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

David Bowie's 'China Girl' is about some sort of drug isn't it? Cocaine or something. I remember knowing 'Relax' was all about gay love, that the video was banned 'cos there was a lot of nudiness in it. I didn't know exactly what they did though.

Comment

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
          David Bowie's 'China Girl' is about some sort of drug isn't it? Cocaine or something.
          Fraid not! Just about a China Girl

Comment

Well I never! You folks are teaching me such a lot, somehow the image of my church minister sister humming to "the house of fun" cos she thinks its about a circus (umm, yep..a very sheltered life!) I cannot wait to tell her its meaning, oh! what a joy to behold....bet she wont be humming that one again! I remember all these songs & more but didnt know half of what they were really on about......I'm really starting to feel my age now! and the shock....well...Iam flabberghasted!

Katieloo

Comment

Originally posted by tyrellcorp68 View Post
              Lou Reed and the velvet underground is such a beautiful song and the BBc used it for the children in need appeal, but the song is about heoin use as is the straglers golden brown.
              Erm... Lou Reed was the singer in the Velvet Underground.

I am thinking you mean "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed from his solo album "Transformer" (also featuring "Walk on the Wild Side")

"Perfect Day" is absolutely nothing to do with Heroin whatsoever. The song is about a guy who has been dumped and is plotting revenge on his ex-lover... not that far off "Every breath you take" by the Police. Sources? Lou Reed himself said this.

I argued this point with someone once and they actually said "Well.. he's hardly going to be blatant and say 'oh yeah...its about Heroin!' is he?" *cough* I had to point out that this is THE Lou Reed..... the man who wrote the song "Heroin"

Lou himself puts it down to the songs appearance in the film "Train Spotting". It was only featured in that film because of the fact it is a) a bloody great song and b) A lot of heroin users seem to love our Lou.

Sorry but this has wound me up for ages.....

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                Fraid not! Just about a China Girl
                China Girl was originally an Iggy Pop song, David Bowie's was a cover version. It WAS apparently about cocaine (back on the china White theme) and the feelings of invincibility you experience on it, before the soothing come down.

"Visions of swastikas in my head, plans for everyone...."

"I'll give you television, I'll give you eyes of blue,
                I'll give you a man who wants to rule the world
                It's in the white of my eye....."

"And when I get excited, my little China Girl says 'oh baby, just you shut your mouth
                She says SSSHHHHHH...."

So I've read elsewhere anyway!

My 9-year old son has recently discovered "Cool For Cats" by Squeeze, and simply adores the "nonsense" lyric that goes-

"I kiss her for the first time and then I take her home
                I'm invited in for coffee and I give the dog a bone"

I simply CANNOT tell him what it really means!

Comment

This is a problem the Internet has thrown up.
                  Time was when the only way to really get the facts was to ask the artist.
                  Nowadays there are dedicated web site where Lyric meanings are discussed at length, and with each participant claiming they are correct, although each post contradicts the previous. We may never really know the truth unless the artist is willing to tell us

Comment

Autobiographies are the answer.
                    Frame.
                    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

China Girl is about capitalism and western decadance. It has nothing to do with drugs.
                      I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisredditch View Post
                        China Girl is about capitalism and western decadance. It has nothing to do with drugs.
                        What's your source for that? On lyric meaning sites there's claims it as you say but also claims it is to do with drugs and then there's sixty's claim that is simply about a chinese girl

Take your pick
                        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                          What's your source for that? On lyric meaning sites there's claims it as you say but also claims it is to do with drugs and then there's sixty's claim that is simply about a chinese girl

Take your pick
                          Source was "Thr Complete David Bowie" by Nicholas Pegg. It's simply about a clash of cultures.
                          Why does every song have to be about drugs? Even Puff the Magic Dragon was cited LOL
                          I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

O, Superman
                            Bohemian Rhapsody
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                              I know it is slightly off topic, but I was shocked to learn how the Scissor Sisters got their name. Very rude!!!

Buzz
                              Do share with us please

Comment

Souvenir by OMD is absolutely brilliant but I don't know what the hell it's about.
                                The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Working...
                                X