Rarest Spectrum game ?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rarest Spectrum game ?!?

Right then, I have an incredibly rare Codemasters game.
    It is a special version of the Codemasters Gold game 'Rock Star Ate My Hamster' titled 'Rock Star Goes Bizarre'.
    The Sun newspaper commissioned a special edition of this comedy music management simulator in 1988 as a competition tie in to coincide with the games initial release.
    There were 10 runner up prizes across 3 formats (Spectrum, Amstrad & Commodore 8 bits), the aforementioned 'Rock Star Goes Bizarre'. My version is for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
    'Bizarre' is packaged in a plastic case, as opposed to 'Hamster's cardboard box, the game itself has it's own loading screen, as well as extra characters & scenarios.

Here is a pic of the original, and the special edition side by side. -

Click image for larger version

Name:	RockStar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	264240

I have been in touch with World of Spectrum, but they are unaware of any other Spectrum copies existing, or copies on other formats for that matter.
    They have it listed due to me contacting them, but I haven't sent them a copy, due to Codemasters' tough anti piracy rules.
    Does anybody out there own this game, or even know about this game ?
    Everyone that i've spoken to seems to have no knowledge of this game at all, The only mentions on the entire net are from my posts, however the programmer (Colin Bradshaw-Jones) made a mention of it in an interview with Retro Gamer magazine about two or three years ago.
    I would love to know if any other copies exist anywhere, especially on the other formats.
    Anybody here ever heard of it ???

Re: Rarest Spectrum game ?!?

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
    Right then, I have an incredibly rare Codemasters game.
    It is a special version of the Codemasters Gold game 'Rock Star Ate My Hamster' titled 'Rock Star Goes Bizarre'.
    The Sun newspaper commissioned a special edition of this comedy music management simulator in 1988 as a competition tie in to coincide with the games initial release.
    There were 10 runner up prizes across 3 formats (Spectrum, Amstrad & Commodore 8 bits), the aforementioned 'Rock Star Goes Bizarre'. My version is for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
    'Bizarre' is packaged in a plastic case, as opposed to 'Hamster's cardboard box, the game itself has it's own loading screen, as well as extra characters & scenarios.

Here is a pic of the original, and the special edition side by side. -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3443[/ATTACH]

I have been in touch with World of Spectrum, but they are unaware of any other Spectrum copies existing, or copies on other formats for that matter.
    They have it listed due to me contacting them, but I haven't sent them a copy, due to Codemasters' tough anti piracy rules.
    Does anybody out there own this game, or even know about this game ?
    Everyone that i've spoken to seems to have no knowledge of this game at all, The only mentions on the entire net are from my posts, however the programmer (Colin Bradshaw-Jones) made a mention of it in an interview with Retro Gamer magazine about two or three years ago.
    I would love to know if any other copies exist anywhere, especially on the other formats.
    Anybody here ever heard of it ???
    I had a copy of the original version on the either the spectrum or the commodore, i don't remember which though? I don't have it any more as I sold off all of my spectrum and commodore stuff years ago. The only game I have got left is The Fourth Protocol for the spectrum 48K complete with hard back copy of the book, it was an exclusive from Boots.

Comment

I had the Spectrum version as I enjoyed playing the 'be a rock star' type games. I remember moving on to other games and never found a 'rock star' type game again unil I had a PC. The 'rock star hampster' game was just too repetitive.

I did download a copy last week, for my Android tablet, and that uses an C64 emulator. Game works just fine but again it became too repetitive so I've not played for a few days.

Comment

I used to have quite a large collection of Sinclair ZX Spectrum games, unfortunately though I don't think I can be of much help to you here as I took 'em all down to a charity shop in a bag donkey's years ago and can't remember much about them right now.
        I can remember 'Molar Maul', the object of which was to clean a set of teeth before they went rotten.
        I can also remember 'The Thinker'. (How could I forget it?) To save me the effort of giving a description of this one, here's a review of it here:
        http://www.zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/r...=5835&rid=5465

Hopefully I'll be buying a new laptop in the January sales as I prefer playing games with decent graphics in them.
        Last edited by philipdalton; 19-12-2012, 21:13. Reason: To add extra material
        "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Originally posted by myself View Post
          I can remember 'Molar Maul', the object of which was to clean a set of teeth before they went rotten.
          Here's a review of 'Molar Maul'
          http://www.retrogamer.net/show_image.php?imageID=2375
          "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Hey, a memory's just come back to me of another Speccy game I used to have, 'Chequered Flag'. They say all your memories are stored in your brain somewhere ready to be re-kindled. Take a look for yourself. The graphics are pretty mediocre even for the time:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvi6Avfo9A

Comment

bought tons pf speccy games lately.

and play them on the actual speccy.

Ive seen a lot of games on various sites i buy from.
              some around 1 hundred quid.
              games of strategy 1 by CCS.

just because its expensive dont mean its rare though.

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
              I used to have quite a large collection of Sinclair ZX Spectrum games, unfortunately though I don't think I can be of much help to you here as I took 'em all down to a charity shop in a bag donkey's years ago and can't remember much about them right now.
              I can also remember 'The Thinker'. (How could I forget it?) To save me the effort of giving a description of this one, here's a review of it here:
              http://www.zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/r...=5835&rid=5465

Hopefully I'll be buying a new laptop in the January sales as I prefer playing games with decent graphics in them.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

CCS were the UK distributor for SSI in the USA.

Their WW2 simulations were excellent and very accurate, I had Arnhem, Desert Rats and Vulcan and spent many hours playing them.

SSI acquired the AD&D licence from TSR in the late 80's and produced the first computerised D&D games, I had Eye of the Beholder on the Amiga and would play into the early hours of the morning, it was an excellent game.

Comment

I think the thing about 80's computer games is that they were all gloriously none-addictive. I mean, I ask you, who could possibly get addicted to the likes of 'Chequered Flag'? If anyone wants to read a sorry tale, go into my thread called 'What film is this?' and find the link I posted in it about the woman who was a gaming addict.

Comment

wow great info cheers mate.

animal anagrams by image systems is massively rare as well.
                    a ton fifty on a site i buy off.

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                    CCS were the UK distributor for SSI in the USA.

Their WW2 simulations were excellent and very accurate, I had Arnhem, Desert Rats and Vulcan and spent many hours playing them.

SSI acquired the AD&D licence from TSR in the late 80's and produced the first computerised D&D games, I had Eye of the Beholder on the Amiga and would play into the early hours of the morning, it was an excellent game.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

just because its expensive dont mean its rare though.
                      Virtually all the expensive games across all retro systems are rubbish. Theres always a few 1million+ sellers that will go for £20 or more due to them being well remembered eg Final Fantasy. Many rare but rubbish games are worth pence though- not many people collect full sets
                      I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Working...
                      X