John Craven's Newsround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Craven's Newsround

You were back from school. You'd sat through the programmes aimed at the younger kids and were eagerly waiting for Grange Hill to start. But first, Ted Heath and his Music struck up the easily recognisable notes of their cover of Johnny One Note, and John Craven's Newsround hit the air!Back in the early 70s there was no news provision for children on television at all. Edward Barnes, the deputy head of BBC Children's Television at the time had recently seen a survey which had discovered that only 0.7% of children ever watched any news or current affairs programmes. Barnes started thinking about a short bulletin aimed at children....

More...

Re: John Craven's Newsround

wow never knew it was given a trial run of just six weeks to see how it done.

40 yrs later its still going strong.

ts pretty lighthearted though as it does fun stories.
    hard to believe its 23 yrs since john craven left newsround.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember Paul McDowell was the main stand-in presenter in the early mid 1980s.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Paul McDowell is almost as prominent in my memory as John Craven, so he must have done a lot of filling in! I never watched the show as I thought it was boring but it always tended to be on in the background at that time of the day when most of my favourite shows had already been on. I wonder whatever happened to Paul McDowell. Can't remember seeing him as a reporter or presenter on any other programmes.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Newround Extra was often shown in place of a Friday edition.

The classic opening theme was the first few seconds of an instrumental called "Johnny One Note" & the end "sting" as the last few notes of John Baker's New Worlds. This was created in the BBC Radiophonic Workshop by playing around with a a tape of twanging elastic bands.

Does anyone remember John's amusing cameo in Simon & The Witch, reporting about an infestation of woodworm with the bite the size of a cat's.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Heres an extended episode from 1982.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-1qyeGLIMY

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
              Paul McDowell is almost as prominent in my memory as John Craven, so he must have done a lot of filling in! I never watched the show as I thought it was boring but it always tended to be on in the background at that time of the day when most of my favourite shows had already been on. I wonder whatever happened to Paul McDowell. Can't remember seeing him as a reporter or presenter on any other programmes.
              He's alive and well and still working in the media......I know as he's my Dad. He went on, as lots of presenters do, to behind the scenes working as a producer for various tv companies. He also presented 'Stopwatch' and 'eureka' (with Sarah Greene) in the '80's 😀

Comment

That's pretty cool Kob!

I used to love NR as a kid. John Craven never talked down to us kids, whereas most adults seemed to, especially about subjects such as current affairs.
                sigpic

Comment

i watched newsround after school........loved the programme

Comment

Working...
                  X