Rising Damp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rising Damp

Any one been Sky+ing the re-runs of Rising Damp on ITV3? Very un PC nowadays, but funny all the same.

Oooh Miss Jones!
    sigpic

yeah, I caught it recently early mornings before I left for work. Great series, it's just as funny as it ever was. Leonard Rossiter was an awesome comic actor.

Comment

Re: Rising Damp

I'll never tire of watching the episode with the "love wood" the sight of Rigsby wafting the burning piece of cabinet under Miss Joneses nose cracks me up

Comment

leonard was a super actor but so was richard beckinsale.

here is a clip.
        http://youtu.be/PIeiwLv7EwE

richard died in 79 aged just 31.:cry:
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          leonard was a super actor but so was richard beckinsale.

here is a clip.
          http://youtu.be/PIeiwLv7EwE

richard died in 79 aged just 31.:cry:
          "could it have been a reflection?" |D

Comment

The thing I always found surprising about Rising Damp was that they went ahead and filmed the final series without Beckinsale. I know he had theatre commitments, but surely they could have waited for him to have finished?

I know he died in 1979 but the final RD series was filmed long before that, he even had time to star in another sitcom 'Bloomers' which was nowhere near as good.

I still loved every episode but I do wonder why they couldn't have waited for him to return

Comment

I think he had told Yorkshire TV that he didnt want to come back.

Comment

was it ever explained why they did not wait.

he was an integral part of the cast and i always wondered why he was missing from the series.

it sure lacked something without richard beckinsale in it.

and ill bet they regret not waiting for his return.

Originally posted by Roz View Post
                The thing I always found surprising about Rising Damp was that they went ahead and filmed the final series without Beckinsale. I know he had theatre commitments, but surely they could have waited for him to have finished?

I know he died in 1979 but the final RD series was filmed long before that, he even had time to star in another sitcom 'Bloomers' which was nowhere near as good.

I still loved every episode but I do wonder why they couldn't have waited for him to return

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                  I think he had told Yorkshire TV that he didnt want to come back.
                  I've never read that but it might explain why he didn't return. I do find it surprising if true though as RD was such a good show (far better than Bloomers).

I do know that he and Rossiter got on very well, in fact he was just about the only actor Rossiter seemed to like! Frances De La Tour hated Rossiter and refuses to talk about him even now.

Comment

wow roz never knew rossiter and de la tour did not like each other.
                    and she still does not like him not talk about him.

strange as they seemed to get on well on screen.

id have thought it was rossiter and beckinsale who would have not got on.

wonder was it something to do with not being paid enough or a row with a cast member that he told yorkshire tv he was not coming back.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Roz View Post
                    I've never read that but it might explain why he didn't return. I do find it surprising if true though as RD was such a good show (far better than Bloomers).

I do know that he and Rossiter got on very well, in fact he was just about the only actor Rossiter seemed to like! Frances De La Tour hated Rossiter and refuses to talk about him even now.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      wow roz never knew rossiter and de la tour did not like each other.
                      and she still does not like him not talk about him.

strange as they seemed to get on well on screen.

id have thought it was rossiter and beckinsale who would have not got on.

wonder was it something to do with not being paid enough or a row with a cast member that he told yorkshire tv he was not coming back.
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Yes, their relationship was 'frosty' to say the least. She was a warm, friendly woman in real life and didn't like how he behaved (he wasn't very nice to guest stars in particular) - although I'm sure she respected him as an actor.

He adored Richard though - when he died in 1979 Rossiter was too upset to comment.

I wonder with Richard whether he wanted to stay in London as he had his two young daughters there? He had been estranged from the older girl until the last couple of years of his life too. RD was made by Yorkshire TV so maybe the commute was a problem for him?

Comment

actually thinking back i remember being told de la tour and rossiter did not get on.
                        but it sure did not show on screen roz.

yes i heard he was not the best with guest stars.

thought don warrington who played philip was a great character though.

here are some clips.http://youtu.be/B0YOaH5n2x0

QUOTE=Roz;173370]Yes, their relationship was 'frosty' to say the least. She was a warm, friendly woman in real life and didn't like how he behaved (he wasn't very nice to guest stars in particular) - although I'm sure she respected him as an actor.

He adored Richard though - when he died in 1979 Rossiter was too upset to comment.

I wonder with Richard whether he wanted to stay in London as he had his two young daughters there? He had been estranged from the older girl until the last couple of years of his life too. RD was made by Yorkshire TV so maybe the commute was a problem for him?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                        X