Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School programme 'Scene'

Does anyone remember this?

We used to have a class at school in the 4th and 5th year of Secondary school (15 & 16 year olds) which was called 'Design for living' (abbreviated to D4L). It was basically a life skills type class. As was typical in the early to mid 80's not much teaching was done and more often than not the teachers just made us watch episodes of Scene.

The programme was made in two ways, firstly there was a discussion type programme. The interviewer would ask kids their opinion on certain subject such as, relationships, work or leisure time. Secondly there was a play, these were my favourite type of 'Scene' I remember seeing one about football hooliganism and another about a young lad who drunk a few pints at lunchtime then went back to work and got his hand trapped in some machinery

One that is really vivid was with a very young Gillian Taylforth where she was engaged to a someone who worked in a bank and was dull. She had her head turned by a lad with a car and she gets in and I think it crashes or something.

I remember some of these being really dated (the BBC were showing some from the early 70's in 1984) but some being really good. I can't find any on youtube or anywhere but would like to watch some if anyone knows where they can be found (legitimately).

Re: School programme 'Scene'

remember it well.
    we used to watch it in primary school every time it was on.

think it waas my last 2 yrs there we watched it.

it covered quite controversial issues.

Scene was originally created as a series of 30 minute dramas and documentaries suitable for showing to teenage schoolchildren as part of the English and Humanities curriculum.

It was thought that the dramas shown would stimulate discussion in the classroom about various contemporary issues relevant to teenagers (such as race, drugs, s*x, disability etc..

Critical reaction was positive with praise for the high production standards.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Jabbso View Post
      One that is really vivid was with a very young Gillian Taylforth where she was engaged to a someone who worked in a bank and was dull. She had her head turned by a lad with a car and she gets in and I think it crashes or something.
      I think this one also 'starred' Elaine Lourdan, another EastEnders bit of stuff.

Comment

Favourite Scene drama's

+ SAABS starring Lisa Coleman who later went to star in Casualty as Jude who was killed off when she was fatally stabbed in A&E/ER

Junk starring Jemima Rooper & Daniel Newman

To name a few
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
        X