Radio 2 in the 70's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio 2 in the 70's

My parents decided to part with their TV for a while when I was 7 (which would be 1976/77?) and the radio became a convenient subsitute, up until when I was 11 & they got themselves another TV. My dad became an avid Radio 2 listener as he found their style of music to his taste, & also because there was a comedy show called The Grumbleweeds on it.
    They tended to play a different sort of music than Radio 1, stuff like The Carpenters, Neil Diamond & Barry Manilow was daily fare.
    If you were an avid Radio 2 listener at this time you were perhaps listening to the same song as me.
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Re: Radio 2 in the 70's

I remember listening to The Grumbleweeds on Radio 2 back in the 70s/80s, they were on about 10pm. The music I didn't listen to as most of it wasn't pop.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The Grumbleweeds must have still been going in the early 80s...I remember having a small transistor radio taped on my racer handlebars and listening to their show whilst riding around...that must have been 1980? 81?

Comment

Originally posted by bakermuk View Post
        The Grumbleweeds must have still been going in the early 80s...I remember having a small transistor radio taped on my racer handlebars and listening to their show whilst riding around...that must have been 1980? 81?
        Yes, i think they continued well into the 80's.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

my parents were avid listeners of radio 2........terry wogan followed by jimmy young then on to pete murray and later on in the day pete hamilton.........i can also remember the programme called 'hello cheeky' with tim-brooke taylor and barry cryer........showing my age here haha

Comment

Always remember going to bed on Friday and Saturday nights listening to Brian Matthew (Radio 2), until the early hours.

Comment

Radio 2 in the 70's and 80's (apart from Saturday afternoons) meant I was in the doctors waiting room, hush quiet and sound so low.

Comment

as a kid i remember going to my nans house at the weekends and having to listen to radio 2 as entertainment.the droning sound of easy listening gave me the same sickly feeling in the pit of the stomach as coming home from holiday and that terrible low you felt on the last day before the 6 week summer break from school ended ,even now if im unlucky enough to be somewhere and something like pat boone or john denver is being played i revert back to the foetal position screaming get me outta here

Comment

Good afternoon; Has anyone got any recordings of Radio2 Top 40 -5-7pm Sunday
                  afternoons, broadcast on Radio 2 VHF was far better than Radio 1 247 MW.
                  I am happy to send lots of shows to people in exchange for any shows you may have?
                  I am particularly after 26-11-78 ( 40-21 only broadcast on Radio 1 due to Abba special on Radio 2)
                  and any full shows 3-12-78 to 22-6-80!!
                  There is a dearth of late 78 to mid 80 shows out there (I have many hundreds!) due to the cost of tapes and going
                  to top 40 on 12-11-78!

Hope someone can help
                  Many thanks
                  Shaun

Comment

My parents often had Radio 2 on when I was little, and I remember "The Grumbleweeds" and "Bernie Clifton's Comedy Shop" (in particular the " El Bandido" tune).

As for music, I remember hearing "Do It Do It Again" by Raffaella Carra, "From New York to LA" (or vice versa?) by Patsy Gallant, "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" (Julie Covington), and several Abba songs.

Comment

BBC Radio one and BBC 1 television (IIRC) used to broadcast music shows simultaneously for it to be in stereo. It must have been pre VHF radio in stereo
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

God, Radio 2 was dull, dull, dull in those days! Apparently not any more!
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Radio 2 is Radio 1 thirty years ago. (Which is better than Radio 1 now.)

Comment

I remember my mum used to listen to a show similar to The Archers called Waggoners Walk.

Comment

Originally posted by whitewall66 View Post
                              I remember my mum used to listen to a show similar to The Archers called Waggoners Walk.
                              The theme song to that was released as a single!

Attached Files
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                              X