Sunday tea time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday tea time....

Not very school sounding but come on, what was more schoolish than, bath, homework and an earlier night than the previous 2 ?

It would seem like minutes since Petrocelli or Starsky and Hutch on the Friday night, only hours out of school, then Swap shop, Tiswas, World of sport, going to the match, The generation game, Parkinson, Match of the day, even Sunday stretched out long before us, even laying claim to the tele if the weather was bad to watch the SHOOT ! (North East).....and even Sunday tea with Judith Chalmers on wish you were here (then turn it over to Holiday whenever).......then it was back into school mode and plotting how tom get through the next 5 days.

Re: Sunday tea time....

I can recall Sunday evening's well and moaning very very often and wishing it was not Monday that was the next day, often Last Of The Summer Wine and in earlier years Howards Way and Bread were a part of Sunday night's that "represented" School the next da which would make me annoyed and sad - both at the same time. Same with Football on tV on a Sunday too - one such occasion when I was still in 6th Form in 1994 and it was the Oldham v Man Utd FA Cup Semi Final and I remember thinking how boring School was at the time and it was general becoming worse as a 6th Former too, though I regret this choice to leave when I did very much so - but I can recall this memory like yesterday.

I guess more so too in a way, thinking I wonder what the Final would be like as Chelsea was only just begining to be the good Team they were - there was still a further 3 years to go, until they won their first FA Cup in many years and I recall Oldham were struggling in the Premier Leauge at the time and effectivly that last minute or 2 goal they let in v Man utd ended any hope they had of even trying to survive in the Premier .......

Still al this - thinking about TV Programmes etc and not staying up late, gives me great happy and sad all at the same time memories of a Sunday night, that are so great to think of but also incredible to think how great these times were but added with bad memories of School (though I think I always had bad lessons first thing on a Sunday that made thing's trebbley worse too). Though as I have thought for many a year now hindsight is a very powerful thing indeed, one word I can never ever truly find words to totaly describe it to truly give it justice or/and not.

80sChav

Comment

Songs of praise then bathtime

Comment

Yes i was exactly the same mate.
        how i always tried to stay up a bit longer on sunday nights.
        i did want to think that it was monday the next day school terrible memories.

tea was around half 5 or half 6.

had my bath after last of the summer wine great show and then i got to see thats life. good crack with esther and the boys and watching bread as well.
        as good as tey where i knew that i meant sunday and as the day went on i got more worried and anxious.

also had great memories of watching the footie on telly on sundays.
        yes on itv and live lge games.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
        I can recall Sunday evening's well and moaning very very often and wishing it was not Monday that was the next day, often Last Of The Summer Wine and in earlier years Howards Way and Bread were a part of Sunday night's that "represented" School the next da which would make me annoyed and sad - both at the same time. Same with Football on tV on a Sunday too - one such occasion when I was still in 6th Form in 1994 and it was the Oldham v Man Utd FA Cup Semi Final and I remember thinking how boring School was at the time and it was general becoming worse as a 6th Former too, though I regret this choice to leave when I did very much so - but I can recall this memory like yesterday.

I guess more so too in a way, thinking I wonder what the Final would be like as Chelsea was only just begining to be the good Team they were - there was still a further 3 years to go, until they won their first FA Cup in many years and I recall Oldham were struggling in the Premier Leauge at the time and effectivly that last minute or 2 goal they let in v Man utd ended any hope they had of even trying to survive in the Premier .......

Still al this - thinking about TV Programmes etc and not staying up late, gives me great happy and sad all at the same time memories of a Sunday night, that are so great to think of but also incredible to think how great these times were but added with bad memories of School (though I think I always had bad lessons first thing on a Sunday that made thing's trebbley worse too). Though as I have thought for many a year now hindsight is a very powerful thing indeed, one word I can never ever truly find words to totaly describe it to truly give it justice or/and not.

80sChav
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Thinking a little bit further/more since I noticed this thread - I have noted how a recurring theme was just as the title was so as in why Havasack gave the title it's name. It is really so ironic I think, I mean on a SundayI would have my Dinner at my Mum's then go to my Grandma's for Tea and a chin-wag about thing's etc and all this would start in terms of TV way before Last Of The Summer Wine etc, with old repeats etc that were shown of Comedy's on a Sunday afternoon before Tea Tme.

As well too as old Films too and prior to all this there would be Countryfile with the ledgend that is John Craven on and other programmes like Little House On The Praery and similar - all this would eventuly lead to the start of a Sunday Evening and knowng (happily or not for me, depending how I felt about it) that School was the next day!

As well, also in all this was the dreaded Homework you left until last - the type that was'nt easy and you had to research yourself or ask for hints about from Friends and Neighbours and/or spelling tests you would leave until the last minute etc.

80sChav

Comment

What I remember from Sunday nights, rather than dinner times, was, depending on the time of year, the original hour-long episodes of Poirot, Jeeves and Wooster, Hale and Pace (ehhh - no thank you!) Spitting Image (YES!!), the news too.
            - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
            - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

My Mum is always a fan of the Sunday night dramas, Bergerac, Poirot, Jeeves and Wooster, Heartbeat (Nick & Kate era) etc.

I often had to go upstairs to watch London's Burning when it clashed with something.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Bath in front of the gas fire. Hair washed with ICI Lorexane 3 shampoo (kept you free of head lice). One of the "Doctor" series (the Robin Nedwell ones) on TV followed by Sunday night at the Paladium.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                  Bath in front of the gas fire. Hair washed with ICI Lorexane 3 shampoo (kept you free of head lice). One of the "Doctor" series (the Robin Nedwell ones) on TV followed by Sunday night at the Paladium.
                  Yes I remember Doctor in the house Doctor at large was it St Swithins Hospital,Richard Osullivan,Barry Evans were also in the series
                  London Paladium with Jimmy Tarbuck I believe?

Every Sunday for tea it was tinned fruit and cream

Comment

Fruit and cream eh ? so it wasn't just us. Timed to coincide with holiday '81 or wish you were here.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      Yes I remember Doctor in the house Doctor at large was it St Swithins Hospital,Richard Osullivan,Barry Evans were also in the series
                      London Paladium with Jimmy Tarbuck I believe?

Every Sunday for tea it was tinned fruit and cream
                      yup syrupy tinned fruit salad and rotten carnation cream....Yuk!....hated it.

Comment

i remember having it as well.

i liked some tinned fruit with cream but not fruit salad.
                        still makes me feel uneasy thinking about it.

Originally posted by Romany Jones. View Post
                        yup syrupy tinned fruit salad and rotten carnation cream....Yuk!....hated it.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember my Mum often covering deserts like tinned fruit cocktail with Tip-Top.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                          X