80s Horrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s Horrors

i'm somewhat a bit of an 80s horror connoisseur, the best horrors ever IMO since with the release of VHS the 80s saw an explosion in horror movies, this seemed to be the time when they were the most outlandish and interesting.

not to mention they rule thanks to the awesome "real" special effects using makeup and animatronics, not crappy CGI.

not just the well known ones but all the lesser known ones (and there's hundreds and hundreds of them).

any other fans?

what are some of your faves and which ones do you recommend (add a little info on the plot)?

i recommend these lesser known ones

Street Trash - a horror about a killer drink called 'Viper' that the proprieter of a booze shop finds in his cellar, he starts selling it to all the homeless bums for a buck a bottle, little does he know it melts anyone who drinks it lol.

Witchboard - this one's about the Ouija Board, and a malevolent spirit.

Chopping Mall - a bunch of mall workers decide to hide inside after closing hours for a party, but the mall is testing out new deadly security robots, that malfunction and start killing.

Demons - bunch of cinema goers find this demon mask in the foyer and try it on, resulting in it giving them a cut on the cheek, this then turns them into demons, and a lovely 80s gorefest ensues

Silent Night, Deadly Night - a kid is traumatised when he sees a guy in a santa suit murder and rape his parents, once he grows up he is given the xmas job of playing santa in the department store where he works, this makes him snap and he goes on a killing spree dressed as santa

Cannibal Holocaust - this one isn't so much a recommendation, more of a "gotta be seen to be believed" this was one of the most controversial films of all time as it has real animal killings in it, the director etc got in loads of trouble for it and it was only finally released fully uncut a year or two ago, only watch this one if you think you can stomach it.

Re-Animator - this one is brilliant, an obsessed doctor creates a serum which re-animates dead tissue, and he keeps experimenting with it on dead things, total gorefest
    Last edited by Moondog; 24-11-2012, 03:32.

Re: 80s Horrors

i know those films very well moondog.

Phenomena is a 1985 Italian horror film directed by Dario Argento.

An edited version of the film was released in the United States called creepers.
    Jennifer Connelly stars as a young girl who arrives at an eerie Swiss boarding school where the students are being butchered by a serial killer. With the help of a wheelchair-using entomologist (Donald Please), she discovers she has special psychic powers.

INFERNO.1980 director dario argento.

The story concerns a young man's investigation into the disappearance of his sister, who had been living in a New York City apartment building that also served as a home for a powerful, centuries-old witch.

2nd part of the 3 mothers trilogy.

THE BEYOND director lucio fulci.

In 1927, Louisiana's Seven Doors Hotel is the scene of a vicious murder as a lynch mob crucifies and pours quicklime upon an artist named Schweick, whom they believe to be a warlock. The artist's murder opens one of the seven doors of death, which exist throughout the world and allow the dead to cross into the world of the living. Several decades later, a young woman from New York inherits the hotel and plans to re-open it for business. But her renovation work activates the hell-portal, and soon she and a local doctor find themselves having to deal with living dead, a ghost of a blind girl who seeks to get them to leave the house, a mystic tome called the Book of Eibon that supposedly contains the answers to the nightmare at hand, face-eating tarantulas, a young girl whose murdered parents become zombies and is herself possessed by undead spirits — and Schweick, who has returned as a malevolent, indestructible corpse, apparently in control of the supernatural forces.
    All hope is lost by the end, as the hero and heroine find themselves transported impossibly from a hospital stairway back to the hotel's basement. They enter a wasteland that Schweick was seen painting at the beginning of the film. After wandering around amidst fog and lifeless mummified bodies, the two go blind and fade into oblivion
    Last edited by darren; 24-11-2012, 06:21.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

yeah Lucio Fulci and Dario Argento do some really good itialian horrors. i'll definitely try and check those ones out, ii'm always on the lookout for 80s horrors to watch, it's just figuring out which ones are good and which ones are bad, for example have you seen one called 'Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers' god that film was poor, the "gore" was just a closeup of the hookers swinging the chainsaw and it looked like somebody was just throwing buckets of red coloured water at them lol.

Comment

One of my all time favourite horror films just happens to be from the 80's. I just love 'The Burning'. It a classic stalk and slash film. Caught up in the nasties carry on too. I remember seeing when I was about 10 on 1983ish and it Sharif me half to.death. I still love it!
        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

yes good show.
          but have you seen it uncut if you have you will se a rather gruesome scene ion the lake where these kids are out o a boat.

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
          One of my all time favourite horror films just happens to be from the 80's. I just love 'The Burning'. It a classic stalk and slash film. Caught up in the nasties carry on too. I remember seeing when I was about 10 on 1983ish and it Sharif me half to.death. I still love it!
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

yeah i've seen The Burning too, not a bad film at all

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              yes good show.
              but have you seen it uncut if you have you will se a rather gruesome scene ion the lake where these kids are out o a boat.
              Yes it was the uncut Thorn EMI video release I saw in the early 80's (prob '83). I also now own this video. FYI Darren, the scene on the boat was not removed from the cut version. It was trimmed slightly to remove the close up gore. The other scene trimmed was the killing of the prostitute at the beginning.
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Always been a huge fan of werewolf movie The Howling (1981), there have been umpteen sequels, with each one getting worse as they go along but the original is one of my favourite films. This is how you do werewolves, none of that Twilight nonsense and the full-on transformation sequence is still absolutely amazing after all these years. Please, if you like your 80's horror then pick it up because not only is it dirt cheap now but there is a fantastic documentary with the director and cast. I can't say I have ever given DVD extras much time of day but I really enjoyed that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                  Always been a huge fan of werewolf movie The Howling (1981), there have been umpteen sequels, with each one getting worse as they go along but the original is one of my favourite films. This is how you do werewolves, none of that Twilight nonsense and the full-on transformation sequence is still absolutely amazing after all these years. Please, if you like your 80's horror then pick it up because not only is it dirt cheap now but there is a fantastic documentary with the director and cast. I can't say I have ever given DVD extras much time of day but I really enjoyed that one.
                  lol totally agree with that no crappy CGI here, but as for the actual film i thought it was boring up til the last half hour or so, another good one was An American Werewolf In London

Comment

80s horror they duna make them like these no more blood and gore you dont see it now like the classic 80s horror night of the demon great classic film blood and gore to the max arms b egin ripped of at the joints great stuff
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

yup, seen em all ;D

very first horror I ever saw was when I was 5 and it was night of the Demon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Demon
                      and that was me hooked on horrors for life, in the school holidays, i pester my parents so I could stay up and watch the saturday night double bills
                      then when, I was 9 ( when video's were all the rage ) very first video nasty i saw was the Manitou, two videos were hired at the time, the second
                      one was Zombie Flesh eaters and is one of the reasons I am Zombie daft LOL (Love the shark scene ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADharbFwkk

anyhoo, the video nasty clampdown was taking all the classics off the shelves, some were allowed to stay with horrendous chunks out of them

then I saw an add in a mag " Vipco vault of horrer " for I think it was around 70 VHS videos off all the original uncut video nasties, money was extremely tight
                      But I still bought them at £256 ( I also remember the price XD )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIPCO_(...cture_Company)

http://vipcovideo.blogspot.co.uk/201...tion-pt-1.html

http://vipcovideo.blogspot.co.uk/201...tion-pt-2.html

for some reason there it the list is not complete
                      DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

well my friend you have same taste as me zombie flesh eaters lol love the scene when the spike goes in the womans eye classic horror i also have all the banned films i watch quite often too

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                        yup, seen em all ;D

very first horror I ever saw was when I was 5 and it was night of the Demon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Demon
                        and that was me hooked on horrors for life, in the school holidays, i pester my parents so I could stay up and watch the saturday night double bills
                        then when, I was 9 ( when video's were all the rage ) very first video nasty i saw was the Manitou, two videos were hired at the time, the second
                        one was Zombie Flesh eaters and is one of the reasons I am Zombie daft LOL (Love the shark scene ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADharbFwkk

anyhoo, the video nasty clampdown was taking all the classics off the shelves, some were allowed to stay with horrendous chunks out of them

then I saw an add in a mag " Vipco vault of horrer " for I think it was around 70 VHS videos off all the original uncut video nasties, money was extremely tight
                        But I still bought them at £256 ( I also remember the price XD )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIPCO_(...cture_Company)

http://vipcovideo.blogspot.co.uk/201...tion-pt-1.html

http://vipcovideo.blogspot.co.uk/201...tion-pt-2.html

for some reason there it the list is not complete

Comment

heres the classic music to zombie flesh eaters wot a film
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ttwzcm5fLI

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                            heres the classic music to zombie flesh eaters wot a film
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ttwzcm5fLI

Good find there xmark ;D
                            I'm now Going to download it and rip the audio out of it LOL
                            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

lol mate the shark scene there too but dont want post it as some ppl mite find it a bit disturbing lol not as if its scary but some ppl my not like lol
                              wha ya going do have it on continue repeat so you can listen over and over lol

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                              Good find there xmark ;D
                              I'm now Going to download it and rip the audio out of it LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X