70's horrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 70's horrors

Ive come to love and admire the work of Vincent Price in recent years. The films he made over here after his Roger Corman, Edgar Allen Poe years in hollywood are some unsung classics and worthy of greater appreciation. I'm thinking of films like The Abominable Doctor Phibes, Theatre of Blood and Madhouse to name a few. He was often unfairly criticised for being too tongue in cheek and "camping" up the roles, but I think he managed to balance the humour, tragedy and horror to perfection.
    All too often these days it seems to be one gore shocker after another with no thought of character or development. For me the little humorous asides and charcterizations somehow make the horror sequences all the more intense and chilling when they come.
    As an example....In theatre of blood, Price plays a washed up Shakesperean actor who returns from the dead to bump off all his worst critics in a series of chillingly apt Shakesperean vignettes. In one scene mirroring Cymbeline, he dispatches a critic, played by Arthur Lowe (Dad's Army), by drugging him and surgically beheading him as he sleeps next to his also drugged wife. Price does this to the music of Doctor Kildare, assisted by his Daughter in the nurse role, who dutifully passes him the surgical tools to perform the grim operation. Inevitably in the morning the wife awakes from her induced slumber, tries to wake her hubby and on shaking him, faints from abject terror as his severed head rolls off onto the floor like some grotesque football. You dont know whether to laugh or be sickened or both. Take a look you wont regret it. I promise you. Just dont blame me for the rather surreal nightmares that result. Sweet dreams....lol

Comment

he did a lot of superb seventies horrors but i just cant watch them.
      its his voice that puts me off.

but yes i love the antholigies.

Originally posted by Shado66 View Post
      Ive come to love and admire the work of Vincent Price in recent years. The films he made over here after his Roger Corman, Edgar Allen Poe years in hollywood are some unsung classics and worthy of greater appreciation. I'm thinking of films like The Abominable Doctor Phibes, Theatre of Blood and Madhouse to name a few. He was often unfairly criticised for being too tongue in cheek and "camping" up the roles, but I think he managed to balance the humour, tragedy and horror to perfection.
      All too often these days it seems to be one gore shocker after another with no thought of character or development. For me the little humorous asides and charcterizations somehow make the horror sequences all the more intense and chilling when they come.
      As an example....In theatre of blood, Price plays a washed up Shakesperean actor who returns from the dead to bump off all his worst critics in a series of chillingly apt Shakesperean vignettes. In one scene mirroring Cymbeline, he dispatches a critic, played by Arthur Lowe (Dad's Army), by drugging him and surgically beheading him as he sleeps next to his also drugged wife. Price does this to the music of Doctor Kildare, assisted by his Daughter in the nurse role, who dutifully passes him the surgical tools to perform the grim operation. Inevitably in the morning the wife awakes from her induced slumber, tries to wake her hubby and on shaking him, faints from abject terror as his severed head rolls off onto the floor like some grotesque football. You dont know whether to laugh or be sickened or both. Take a look you wont regret it. I promise you. Just dont blame me for the rather surreal nightmares that result. Sweet dreams....lol
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Being an ardent Hammer horror fan, I used to love watching the Christopher Lee Dracula films.
        Wirral Writer
        www.alantoner.com

Comment

a few other very good ones are.

scream of the wolf.
          the stranger within.

both from 1974.

both are very good more so the stranger within very like xtro quite atmospheric.

Comment

I love Vincent too. There was another notoriously grisly scene in Theatre of Blood too, where Lionheart forces the poodle pie down poor Robert Morley's throat. Ugh! Still can't watch it to this day without feeling nauseous. Way ahead of its time, and even transcends movies like SAW for its sheer gross-out efffect.
            Wirral Writer
            www.alantoner.com

Comment

another very good one is communion aka alice sweet alice from 76.

one id recommend.
              was not expecting it to be as good as it was.

Comment

Yeah, saw that movie years ago. Forget it though.
                Wirral Writer
                www.alantoner.com

Comment

The Toolbox Murders is quite good(the Tobe Hooper remake isn't bad either) Another 70s' horror is The Corpse Grinders- and it's terrible!

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered toast man View Post
                    The Toolbox Murders is quite good(the Tobe Hooper remake isn't bad either) Another 70s' horror is The Corpse Grinders- and it's terrible!
                    I have a pre cert of Toolbox Murders, it's cut though.
                    I far prefer Corpse Grinders, it's stupid but very entertaining.

Comment

This might've been brought up on this thread before, but it would take ages wading through the whole thing to see if it has. Has anyone ever seen 'Frankenstein-The True Story'?
                      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Alien is my favourite

Comment

ORCA KILLER WHALE 1977.

PREFER IT
                          OVER JAWS.

THE STORY IS REALLY GOOD.

https://youtu.be/DRBIdo5KEJQ

Comment

Psychomania

Attached Files
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Blood on Satan's Claw from 1970 with Linda Hayden. A rural horror set in the 17th century with possessed teenagers getting up to all sorts of nastiness.

The Night Stalker from 1972 and The Night Strangler from 1973. Two made for TV films with Darren McGavin as a reporter on the track of a vampire and a man who needs certain body parts to keep him alive.

Trilogy of Terror from 1975 with Karen Black. Made for TV film with the infamous Zuni fetish doll segment.

Tower of Evil from 1972 with Jill Haworth. An early slasher set on a remote island and around its lighthouse.

Death Line from 1972 with Donald Pleasance. Cannibals hiding in the tunnels of the London Underground.

Ghost Story from 1974 with Marianne Faithfull. Haunted house tale set in old country house.

I don't want to be Born from 1975 with Joan Collins. Exorcist-style tale of possessed baby.

Trog from 1970 with Joan Crawford. Prehistoric man creature found in cave.

Fright from 1971 with Susan George. Babysitter in remote cottage menaced by psycho.

The Creeping Flesh from 1972 with Peter Cushing. Scientist brings strange creature back to life.

Comment

Ghost Story from 1974 with Marianne Faithfull. Haunted house tale set in old country house.

Weird film, that!
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X