70's horrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 70's horrors

'Ghost Story' is, indeed, an odd little film. Only saw it once, probably early 80s when the BBC showed it late on a friday night.

A couple more:

The Gore Gore Girls from 1972 with probably nobody you've heard of, including me. HG Lewis splatter film about someone killing go-go dancers.

Horror Hospital from 1973 with robin Askwith. Gory goings-on in a very strange medical facility.

Comment

Time to revive this thread. Sure staffslad will not mind.

Being Australian I have to say Patrick. (1976). It has now warranted a remake with Charles Dance in the lead. Not sure if it was the 70s but I also enjoyed The Changeling with George C Scott. Very chilling.
      Last edited by Donald the Great; 27-08-2018, 02:50.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        Ghost Story from 1974 with Marianne Faithfull. Haunted house tale set in old country house.

Weird film, that!
        It is rather weird. I liked the fact it was set in the 30s I think it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
          Time to revive this thread. Sure staffslad will not mind.

Being Australian I have to say Patrick. (1976). It has now warranted a remake with Charles Dance in the lead. Not sure if it was the 70s but I also enjoyed The Changeling with George C Scott. Very chilling.

I think The Changeling was just pushing into the 80s, but a good film.

Dawn of the Dead from 1978, but not shown in the UK until 1979 under its alternate title 'Zombies'. I saw it at the cinema and was so impressed that I went to see it a few days later. Great special effects from Tom Savini, and my favourite of Romero's zombie films.

The Crazies. Forget the remake and see the 1973 original. Actually, I am not sure if this should be classed as a zombie movie, but darn it is good. It has that 'dingy' look that was so prevalent in the 70s.

Comment

I always liked Countess Dracula, not for the horror but for Ingrid Pitt, she was a real vixen in it.

Comment

Tombs of the blind dead 1972

return of the blind dead 1973

the ghost galleon 1974

night of the seagulls 1975

suspiria 1977
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                Tombs of the blind dead 1972

return of the blind dead 1973

the ghost galleon 1974

night of the seagulls 1975

suspiria 1977
                Good cheesy fun those Blind Dead films

Comment

A movie that really creeped me out as a child, was The Premature Burial with Ray Milland, I still have nightmares thinking about it now!

Comment

The Premature Burial is one of the Poe adaptations produced by AIP in the 60s. Most starred Vincent Price, but I believe he had other commitments when Premature Burial was filmed, hence Ray Milland stepping in instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeghead View Post
                      I always liked Countess Dracula, not for the horror but for Ingrid Pitt, she was a real vixen in it.

I remember it well, my grandmother had it on vhs!

Comment

Love both Dr Phibes movies. Ingenious deaths in both.

The first "AA" cert i saw at the cinema was a 70s horror. A b movie called The Incredible melting man. Very tongue in cheek.

Some of my other favourites have already been mentioned. Horror express, a good anthology and Alien.
                        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

The Gore Gore Girls from 1972 with probably nobody you've heard of, including me. HG Lewis splatter film about someone killing go-go dancers.

Horror Hospital from 1973 with robin Askwith. Gory goings-on in a very strange medical facility.[/QUOTE]
                          Yes H.G.L. Lewis, i had the pleasure of meeting him years ago at a horror film convention, what a gentleman. he was talking about the low budget roadshow movies he and David Friedkin made in the early '60s and Blood Feast was on the police video nasties list in the early '80s!!!.Before the Gore Gore Girls he turned out Color me blood red, 2000 maniacs, Wizard of gore and the amazing Gruesome twosome, they all made money, check 'em out.

Comment

Around 1971/72
                            Dr Phibes........the abominable Dr Phibes and Dr Phibes Rides again ( I think ). Scared me witless
                            also Night Hair Child......about a bloke/mutant who lived in a disused Tube Station on the London Underground and all he could say was 'Mind the Gap'. On the rare occasions I go to London if I go on the Tube it still freaks me out

Comment

Originally posted by Diver1 View Post
                              Around 1971/72
                              Dr Phibes........the abominable Dr Phibes and Dr Phibes Rides again ( I think ). Scared me witless
                              also Night Hair Child......about a bloke/mutant who lived in a disused Tube Station on the London Underground and all he could say was 'Mind the Gap'. On the rare occasions I go to London if I go on the Tube it still freaks me out

WHOOPS?....wrong film, sorry. It is called Death Line NOT Night Hair Child

Comment

Originally posted by Diver1 View Post
                                WHOOPS?....wrong film, sorry. It is called Death Line NOT Night Hair Child

Night Hair Child was the one with child actor Mark Lester as a disturbed schoolboy. Death Line is pretty good--very grimy and sleazy in that 70s way. The two Dr Phibes films are very enjoyable and inventive imo. Films like those were where Vincent Price really excelled--Theatre of Blood was another. He could let himself go a bit and seemed to really enjoy that kind of role.

Comment

Working...
                                X