Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 70's horrors

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    Night Hair Child was the one with child actor Mark Lester as a disturbed schoolboy. Death Line is pretty good--very grimy and sleazy in that 70s way. The two Dr Phibes films are very enjoyable and inventive imo. Films like those were where Vincent Price really excelled--Theatre of Blood was another. He could let himself go a bit and seemed to really enjoy that kind of role.
    Yeah - Death Line is a hoot!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Not sure this was '70s material but one of the few real shock-u-mentaries which was banned for years in the U.S for years, chilling narration by Chuck riley and proud to have all real footage with nothing staged is "THE KILLING OF AMERICA" which you can see on Youtube, an astonishing film, well made and groundbreaking, still packs a punch today, you have been warned.

Comment

I have a preference for psycho thrillers. One of the best and most obscure ones is The Godsend with Angela Pleasence. Anyone seen this?

Comment

Dark Star, 1974, directed by John Carpenter and co-written by John o'bannon, low budget but fun to watch,a little masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
            Dark Star, 1974, directed by John Carpenter and co-written by John o'bannon, low budget but fun to watch,a little masterpiece.

Agree that Dark Star is a good one. For such a miniscule budget, Carpenter et al did very well in producing a decent looking and entertaining film.

Another from 1974 is Shivers, including that infamous bath scene.

One of Romero's less well known films from 1973, The Crazies. It was remade about a decade or so ago, but imo the original is the best.

Comment

Shivers, Cronenberg's very unpleasant early film, aka The parasite murders, even its title shivers can be taken in many ways, "iv'e got the shivers" or "i just felt a shiver down my spine" or "i'm shivering" , every time i hear someone say these things i think of that film.

Comment

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
                Great film (I would call it sci-fi, not horror though...) - Dan O'Bannon also wrote Alien.
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

This is appropriate for the Yuletide season.

Slasher produced and directed by Bob Clark, and written by A. Roy Moore. It stars Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, Margot Kidder and John Saxon. The story concerns a group of sorority sisters who receive threatening phone calls and are eventually stalked and murdered by a deranged killer during the Christmas season.

Comment

Working...
                  X