Lego or Meccano?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lego or Meccano?

It's the battle of the construction sets - which did you have, and which do you prefer?

I had both growing up, and they're kind of different, even if they're lumped in with each other. Lego can't really do the mechanical stuff so well, but it's better for general play. I suppose that means I preferred Lego - I was never a particularly mechanically minded child and I tended to just build Meccano stuff once and leave it on the shelf.

What do you guys think?

(BTW, a heads up - Looks like Maplin are having a flash sale on Meccano that ends today. Anyone know if it's in store as well? I still have Christmas presents to buy...)
    Lego
    100.00%
    Meccano
    0.00%
    Why choose?
    0.00%

Re: Lego or Meccano?

My 17 year old son and I still love lego.Anyone know where in england i can get a basic set for my son?

Comment

Lego Technic every time. I never liked Mecanno. It seemed so old-fashioned even in the late 1980s.

Comment

had to be lego for me.
        if im right i think meccano was mainly grey in colour.

i loved all the different colours of lego ithought meccano was a cheap version of lego.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

lego ..........it was more girly than meccano

Comment

I have to go for Lego as I've never tried Meccano. The latter does seem to appeal to boys more.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Defo lego for me anyway!

Speaking of which, does anyone remember a "Mecchano-like" toy (I'm fairly sure it wasn't their brand) that was around in the late-80's?

Unlike typical Mecchano the pieces were all plastic and I think the pieces were predominantly blue and orangey-red. The set came with a sort of "drill" or "riveter" that put all the little rivets in place.

Comment

Lego ruled the roost in our house.I loved meccano and had a set but was never allowed to play with it.Parants were always afraid I would loose the small bits so it stayed in a cupboard for years untill it dissapeared.I think I only got to build a couple of models with it.Lego seemed to be the main construction toy.There was another construction set simular to lego,with pieces about the same width and lengh but could not be used together with it.This other set was mostly red and white.Something I remember from the early 70's but not any later then that.

Comment

LEGO, i had so much of it as a kid, we're talking hundreds of pounds worth, i always loved the pirate and space LEGO sets.

i even won a competition at our local newsagent/toy seller, where i won a big LEGO space buggy, it was what got me into LEGO, this one:

Comment

thats classy moondog.
                    i can see why that set got you into lego.

i bet the space set looks nice if you have it.

i had tons of lego but sadly it got lost etc..
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0854-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	260169This was my first ever Technic set, which was a hand-me-down from my elder cousin.

Comment

lego for me
                        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Lego all the way, the lego pirate ship was amazing. I loved all the different characters you could get, knights, pirates, dragons, ghosts, race car drivers, police, I loved my lego. The mini-figure mystery bags are a nice idea, Lego have really branched out with the characters you can buy, not to mention things like Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Lord of The Rings, Lego Batman, etc. I'm glad to see Lego still well and truly going strong.

Comment

Working...
                          X