X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: One Hit Wonders

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
    Useless fact of the day:
    The original version was "Pass the Kutchie" (joint) but a bit of last-minute editing took place.
    According to WikiWooWoo, it was actually a cover version of two songs: "Gimme the Music" by U Brown, and "Pass the Kouchie" by Mighty Diamonds...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
      According to WikiWooWoo, it was actually a cover version of two songs: "Gimme the Music" by U Brown, and "Pass the Kouchie" by Mighty Diamonds...
      The Kouchie ... I think I prefer that spelling: it looks more authentic. Thanks for that.

Comment

watch

Hopefully this link will work. It's a treat for fellow devotees of black music history.

Comment

Charlene - I've Never Been To me, is a beautiful song and i am amazed how Charlene never had other hits after this with the voice of an angel, as her voice sure sure was in the 1970s to 80s

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            Charlene - I've Never Been To me, is a beautiful song and i am amazed how Charlene never had other hits after this with the voice of an angel, as her voice sure sure was in the 1970s to 80s
            She had a minor hit in the USA with Used To Be, a duet with Stevie Wonder.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              She had a minor hit in the USA with Used To Be, a duet with Stevie Wonder.
              Thanks for the Heads Up here Richard mate - i will have to check this one out!!

Keeping with the "One Hit" theme, Lynne Hamilton and On The Inside (theme from Prisoner Cell Block H), I am amazed this did so amazingly well (though not in a way), what a susess indeed!!

80sChav

Comment

The thing about a lot of one hit wonders is that they may seem to have a number one hit and no other hits, but if you look at past editions of the Guinness Book of Hit Singles, you will find that an artiste or group has had a number one hit, and then around four months later, they have one more hit that no one has hardly heard of, and that probably went to number 67 in the charts and stayed there for no more than two weeks.

Spitting Image, the German Eurovision winner Nicole, Sweet Sensation (of Sad Sweet Dreamer fame) are fine examples.

Billy Fury was the other end of the scale - he had so many hits, and clocked up nearly 300 weeks in the British charts, but he never had a number one hit, and I think that Elton John also comes into this category as a solo artist until the 1990s.
                Last edited by George 1978; 13-12-2017, 16:34.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The Who somehow never managed to get a Number 1, getting close with 2 number 2s.

Comment

Although The Sweet hit #1 with Block Buster, they didn't do so again despite, IIRC, 5 consecutive #2 singles!
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                      Although The Sweet hit #1 with Block Buster, they didn't do so again despite, IIRC, 5 consecutive #2 singles!
                      They even managed to go straight in at number 2 with one song, which was a rare thing to do then, but didn't get any higher.

Comment

Working...
                      X