X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: One Hit Wonders

fern kinney together we are beautiful 15th of march 1980

Originally a B-Side, the song became her only UK success

Last edited by darren; 12-05-2015, 16:34.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sue Pollard who played Peggy the chalet maid in 'Hi-de-hi' had a hit with 'Starting Together' in the 80's, I have it on tape from the Top 40, dunno if it was her only chart success though.
      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
        Sue Pollard who played Peggy the chalet maid in 'Hi-de-hi' had a hit with 'Starting Together' in the 80's, I have it on tape from the Top 40, dunno if it was her only chart success though.
        Yes it was a hit in 1986, & used for a theme to a programme about a the run-up to a marriage.

A few years ago I saw it listed on an LP of TV themes from the 1980s at a record stall, but the asking price was more than I was willing to pay.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          I think we did mention that Benny had some minor hits in the 1960s.

Ernie was Xmas No.1 in 1971.
          Yes I wasn't observant enough when I looked at Benny's page on 'Wikipedia' he did have some songs fairly way up in the charts before 'Ernie' was released.

What about Ken Dodd, how many hit songs did he have?
          "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
            Yes I wasn't observant enough when I looked at Benny's page on 'Wikipedia' he did have some songs fairly way up in the charts before 'Ernie' was released.

What about Ken Dodd, how many hit songs did he have?
            He sang Happiness

Comment

Ken is no one-hit wonder, as you can discern from the info on his Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Dodd

Comment

Maybe its time to start reading the wiki pages before posting names on the thread!
                Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
                  Maybe its time to start reading the wiki pages before posting names on the thread!
                  I suppose also my bringing Thunderclap Newman into this was inappropriate considering it's supposed to be about the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    How about Ring me bell 1979 did Anita Ward sing it?
                    It's ironic that her follow-up single was called 'Don't Drop My Love' as that's exactly what the singles chart did to her:

Comment

What about Lou Rawls? He may have had his fair share of success in the US but he was nothing but a one-hit wonder in Britain:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Rawls

Comment

I don't know if anyone has mentioned The Regents on here before. '7teen' is the only of theirs which reached the Top 40 and would therefore have been featured in the chart rundown on Radio 1.

Comment

A brilliant one hit wonder for me has to be for me Frijjid Pink's version House of the Rising Sun with the leccy
                          guitar intro
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

HALE AND PACE 23 March 1991 THE STONK
                            CHARITY SINGLE FOR COMIC RELIEF.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The main one I can remember is 99 Red Balloons by Nena. It was pretty big at the time. Really catchy and "exotic" because German bands were hardly ever on the charts! Plus remember back in the 80s nuclear war was a real worry for most of us, so it struck a chord.

Flying Pickets- Only You

Special AKA Free Nelson Mandela

Weather Girls- It's Raining Men

Also I don't know if anyone remembers but there was this stupid band called The Beatles in the early 60s who had a hit with Love Me Do. The Beatles!? Ridiculous name. I can't imagine they got far with that name.

Comment

A-ha - Take On Me!

Comment

Working...
                                X