Dear John

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear John

Does anyone remember this series from the 80's?.

One of John Sullivans lesser talked about comedies, but I think it's one of the funniest.

Re: Dear John

My Dad really enjoyed Dear John when it was first on, sadly a little neglected these days.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Can you remember the episode when Ralph brought his mobile disco to the party? He only had "Green Door". "Boogaloo".

Peter Denyer, what a star?

Comment

Comment

great show it is.
          one i foget about but really is superb.
          another show i watched without fail.

i see ralph bates is in it a very familiar face.

is that a young hyacinth from keeping up appearances.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

i loved Dear John.......monday evenings ........kirk st moritz was a brilliant character but then they all were

Comment

I bought the box set of the two series of 'Dear John' when it came out on DVD. It's a shame that it's so overlooked, because it still stands up today as a very funny sitcom.
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Remember feeling really sad when Ralph Bates died so young (51). I admired how he made me despise him as George Warleggan in the drama Poldark but love him in the comedy Dear John.

Greatly missed as is Peter Denyer who played Ralph............Dennis in Please Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                  Remember feeling really sad when Ralph Bates died so young (51). I admired how he made me despise him as George Warleggan in the drama Poldark but love him in the comedy Dear John.

Greatly missed as is Peter Denyer who played Ralph............Dennis in Please Sir.

Peter Denyer was magic. I've recently been watching Moody & Pegg. Peter's character was basically a student type who wanted a place to practise his cello and scrounge food. How the hell does someone make a character like that likeable? Peter managed it!

You're spot on with the observation on the Warleggan character as well. I loved the way Angharad Rees used to pronounce his name in that Cornish accent. Sadly, she was another one we lost this year.

Comment

I work as a manager in a charity shop and am lucky enough to get a good look at all the donations before they go out for sale. Recently the box set came in for this series and I couldn't resisit watching it. There are some fantastic one liners in there and the theme tune is a "once heard, never forgotten" sitcom gem!! Most of the cast sadly passed away well before their time.

Belinda Lang did go on to star in the equally excellent 2 Point 4 Children....
                    sigpic

Comment

Lovely series. I always remember Ralph Bates in horror films, which is why I found it unusual for him to be playing a role of been well mannered and comical.

Comment

Me and the mrs loved this, was this the one where the leader of the group always enquired about “sexual problems”?

Comment

Great show, that lasted too short a time. Just 14 episodes.

There was an American remake with Judd Hirsch that lasted for 90 episodes. Some of them used the exact same script.

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
                            Great show, that lasted too short a time. Just 14 episodes.

There was an American remake with Judd Hirsch that lasted for 90 episodes. Some of them used the exact same script.
                            I believe there would have been more episodes of the original but Ralph Bates was too ill to make any more.

A few years later I was surprised to see the remake, it was shown at an odd time during the period when both BBC1 & ITV were starting daytime schedules & were filling them out with odd imports and repeats.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Dear John wS a lovely series. Sadly, I use to always recall him playing a vampire worshipper from a Dracula film starring Christopher Lee.

Comment

Working...
                              X