Tramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tramps

Does anyone ever see a proper 'tramp' anymore?. During the very early 70's we lived in Manchester (70-74), and we travelled down by road to Southampton a couple of times a year and you'd always see two maybe three tramps during the journey.

Btw, when I say 'tramp' I don't mean just homeless. I mean you knew that these men walking along the side of the road, that was there life, that's how they were happy to live......or so it seemed anyway.

Re: Tramps

Can't say I've ever seen a true wandering tramp like you have described, but certainly there is one man in Newcastle who has been on the streets for 25+ years as I remember him from being very young. Weirdly he doesn't seem to have aged at all. I can only guess that he must have been quite young back then but looked older with the long hair and big bushy beard that he still has. Seems to do quite well rummaging in the bins and rumour has it that he sleeps behind a supermarket where he gets out of date food. He's actually quite fat! I'm pretty sure it's a life choice for him after so many years.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      Can't say I've ever seen a true wandering tramp like you have described, but certainly there is one man in Newcastle who has been on the streets for 25+ years as I remember him from being very young. Weirdly he doesn't seem to have aged at all. I can only guess that he must have been quite young back then but looked older with the long hair and big bushy beard that he still has. Seems to do quite well rummaging in the bins and rumour has it that he sleeps behind a supermarket where he gets out of date food. He's actually quite fat! I'm pretty sure it's a life choice for him after so many years.
      Well I'd call that a proper tramp then tricky!..........well as close as you'll get nowadays I spose

Comment

I had a quick look on the Internet and apparently he went into a hostel last year...well, so his Facebook dedication page says! Elsewhere there are rumours that he'd died but I hope that's not true!

Someone on another forum mentioned that tramps might have been more inclined to walk between towns and cities in the past in order to get to different doss houses which they were only allowed to stay in for 3 days max.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
          I had a quick look on the Internet and apparently he went into a hostel last year...well, so his Facebook dedication page says! Elsewhere there are rumours that he'd died but I hope that's not true!

Someone on another forum mentioned that tramps might have been more inclined to walk between towns and cities in the past in order to get to different doss houses which they were only allowed to stay in for 3 days max.
          That makes sense because where I live there's an old hospital with two out buildings near the main entrance used for storage, and I read in a local paper recently that these were originally for 'travelling gentlemen' to be treated..........in other words...................'your not stepping foot in the hospital'

Comment

when i was you i knew one he always came into the park and grab a few smokes from us and the odd can off beer ( because i was naughty and smoked and drunk beer in the park so no one saw us lol ) i aint seen him for years now i carnt remember what is name was i wonder if he is still alive be interesting to know and see if he won lotto then he could give me some fags back lol but on serious note i hope he ok
            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Harmless though I should imgine though xmark?..............and he was taking fags off you!!!!

Comment

I've noticed many recently, I used to see the odd one around in Stockport town centre.

My Dad can remember a lot around when he was young.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

yea mate gods know where he slept as we use to walk round the park most nights but then he just show up

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                  Harmless though I should imgine though xmark?..............and he was taking fags off you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                    yea mate gods know where he slept as we use to walk round the park most nights but then he just show up
                    He slept in a bush I expect mark!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I've noticed many recently, I used to see the odd one around in Stockport town centre.

My Dad can remember a lot around when he was young.
                      Yeah you do seem to get more ooop! north Richard

Comment

ha ha ha well we lived in that park and we never saw him sleeping must of been a hole covered up with grass and trees some where lol

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                        He slept in a bush I expect mark!

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                          ha ha ha well we lived in that park and we never saw him sleeping must of been a hole covered up with grass and trees some where lol
                          You're probably not too far from the truth there mark

Comment

I've not seen one for ages. For that I'm quite glad.

There used to be this old fat abusive one that hung around the cathedral in Wakefield. I've not seen him for a good 10 to 15 years though. I used to try and avoid him if I could help it, although he couldn't have hurt me or caused me any problems he always seemed a bit dangerous.

Comment

There is a couple knocking about Southport

Comment

Working...
                              X