Model Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model Kits

Do kids nowadays know what polystyrene cement and other highly solvented adhesives are?

Comment

ive started this back up fount all my models in loft and brought them down after finding a new one in a charity chop for 1.50 I now sit and do 1 per week paint ant put together I don't use the cement don't set quick enough I use super glue quicker and easy for those tiny bits
      I love this now again put some picks up off the 2 ive done laters
      THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Used to love building kits. Airfix, I didn't like the Rebel ones, when younger, Tamiya when a bit older.

I started fairly young, on planes. Later on I built quite a formidable RN. There was an Airfix model of a Lancaster I particularly loved, due to the gun turrets.

I remember my progression as a kid. Started off with unpainted ones, glue finger prints all over, especially noticeable on the plane "glass", things that should move being glued so they didn't. Once glue was mastered, started painting them. Really shoddy work to start but by my teens, on the Tamiya ones, was making them very realistic indeed.

I have an Airfix Spitfire model here to make, which I was given for my 50th. Will be first model I've built since my teens.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Does it count as reliving my childhood if I've never grown up?

Comment

I made a fair few models, usually aircraft, but also ships and the odd tank. Mainly they were from Airfix, but also Matchbox, Revell and Frog. I also hung some from the ceiling of my bedroom from string. Some I can recall:

Airfix Lancaster--the dambusters version
          Airfix Panavia Tornado
          Airfix HMS Fearless
          Airfix HMS Devonshire
          Airfix F86 Sabre
          Airfix Battle of Britain set--Spitfire + Me109
          Airfix Me262
          Matchbox Sherman Firefly in a diorama
          Frog? F100 Super Sabre
          Revell HMS Ark Royal
          Airfix Harrier

In the last year of junior school, all the boys had to bring in a model to make, while the girls did sewing.

Comment

ID HAVE THOUGHT THEY WHERE QUITE HARD TO PUT TOGETHER YOU NEED A LOT OF PATIENCE.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            I made a fair few models, usually aircraft, but also ships and the odd tank. Mainly they were from Airfix, but also Matchbox, Revell and Frog. I also hung some from the ceiling of my bedroom from string. Some I can recall:

Airfix Lancaster--the dambusters version
            Airfix Panavia Tornado
            Airfix HMS Fearless
            Airfix HMS Devonshire
            Airfix F86 Sabre
            Airfix Battle of Britain set--Spitfire + Me109
            Airfix Me262
            Matchbox Sherman Firefly in a diorama
            Frog? F100 Super Sabre
            Revell HMS Ark Royal
            Airfix Harrier

In the last year of junior school, all the boys had to bring in a model to make, while the girls did sewing.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Some were a bit fiddly, particularly the ships, I thought, as there were lots of quite small parts. Jet aircraft were not so bad--no propellers or moving parts usually. I almost always built aircraft with landing gear retracted, as they seemed to last longer--fewer parts to break off.

I am pretty sure I brought in the Battle of Britain kit for the junior school build. I also remember that the cheapest Airfix kits came in a plastic bag, rather than a box.

Comment

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
                Some of those kits were bloody hard ! Especially if the pieces didn't fit together very well as they did sometimes. Could never do those car ones

Anyone remember Frog kits ? Now they were damnmed hard and the instructions were terrible !
                I believe Frog kits were bought out by a company called Novo (Nova?). They might have been produced in Russia.
                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Anybody remember the snap together kits? The one I remember having was the Monogram kit of a Sopwith Camel piloted by Snoopy.

Comment

I remember seeing some snap together kits advertised in comics but don't think I ever saw one for sale around here.

Comment

I had a snap together kit of a helicopter, I think was made by Revell.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Airfix produced some kits in the 1980s called Snap'n'fix. They were aimed mainly at the younger modeller.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                          Airfix produced some kits in the 1980s called Snap'n'fix. They were aimed mainly at the younger modeller.

Aye, I had the Cosmic Clipper from this page:

Mind you, I always wanted the ones from this range:

Comment

HERE IS A FEW.

I NEVER KNEW AIRFIX ETC DID MODEL KITS BASED ON FILMS.

THESE ARE STUNNERS.

I THOUGHT THEY JUST DID THEM ON SAY FAMOUS AIRCRAFT SHIPS FROM VARIOUS WARS 1ST 2ND WW.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X