Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Kits

Just wondering,

I used to make loads of model kits in the 80's (Yes, Airfix,...... also, Tamiya, Heller, And other "odd" kits that almost every shop (or so it seemed) used to stock, any one else used to build these beauties (I use that term very loosely!!)

Here's one memory I recall, Maybe 70's, or very early 80's.

I built a kit (Tamiya Quad gun tractor) and it was desert based, so of course, painted it bright yellow. I couldn't wait for the paint to dry to play with it, so Mum suggested, put it in front of the blower heater (remember those??, how friggin' hot did they get!!) to dry- result, one melted kit!! Oh, how I cried

Re: Model Kits

Clicclac snap-together kits, then I used to build the Tamiya buggy kits that ran on batteries. I also had the Tamiya Quad tractor but only ever got around to painting the wheel rims(silver) before I accidentally stood on it!! I also built up a collection of the Imai Thunderbirds kits and I tried to make a model of the Hood's Jeep as they never made it as a kit and it was my favourite vehicle(aside from the Mole) in the series.

Comment

i had air fix models use to sit and paint them for hours after
      THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Still got "The Mole" Kit in the loft, maybe one day I will actually finish it.....

Comment

I have a Tamiya kit of a Centurion MkIII which I paid £11 (US$17) in 1982. Considering how much model kits are today I remember £11 was quite a chunk of change back then.

Comment

Started with airfix and matchbox aircraft then onto tamiya and matchbox tanks and other vehicles.Had a few dinosaurs models as well and a rather cool skeleton.The godzilla model was a fav of mine.Moved in my teens into balsa and tissue because I could wind em up and chuck em.Much more fun then just hanging aircraft from the ceiling.Also from the early 80's got heavily into D&D so made up a few multipart metal kits.Just loved those dragons.

Comment

I built countless models.

Airfix, Tamiya, LS airsoft guns, Games Workshop, you name it...

Comment

i can remember buying an airfix plane kit for my son who was 10 at the time and it was so tricky i ended up making and painting it for him......never again!

Comment

I had the GODZILLA , with the "Glow in the dark head - go on google images - type in Godzilla model glow in dark and theres a picture of the beast responsible for more wet beds than I care to remember - It GLOWED SOOOOOOO Bright on a scary night LOL .......
                  Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                  Started with airfix and matchbox aircraft then onto tamiya and matchbox tanks and other vehicles.Had a few dinosaurs models as well and a rather cool skeleton.The godzilla model was a fav of mine.Moved in my teens into balsa and tissue because I could wind em up and chuck em.Much more fun then just hanging aircraft from the ceiling.Also from the early 80's got heavily into D&D so made up a few multipart metal kits.Just loved those dragons.

Comment

I collected the Aurora Horror Models.....wish I still had them....and the Visible man.

Comment

Some of those kits were bloody hard ! Especially if the pieces didn't fit together very well as they did sometimes. Could never do those car ones

Anyone remember Frog kits ? Now they were damnmed hard and the instructions were terrible !

Comment

Had many kits over the years. Anybody remember the Matchbox kits? Hung many aircraft from the bedroom ceiling. Very tempted to buy one recently, wife and price put me off.:cry:

Many years ago, built a refuelling aircraft. I think it was a Victor by Matchbox, 1/72 scale. Hung it on the bedroom ceiling. I will not repeat what my father said when he saw it.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I had some Macthbox kits for years I never got round to making, & eventually sold them on eBay.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            I had some Macthbox kits for years I never got round to making, & eventually sold them on eBay.
                            Did you get a good price for them? Some kits are sort after. Some have been released under Revell.
                            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                              Did you get a good price for them? Some kits are sort after. Some have been released under Revell.
                              I'm trying to remember eBay doesn't keep a record that far back. It was a few pounds IIRC.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X