Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black & White TV's

Default Black & White TV's

I was discussing cinema queues with my mate on the `phone last night & we said the reason for the bigger queues in the 70's was that TV's back then were more expensive than what they are today & many people only had a black & white one.
    Black & white TV's are virtually impossible to find these days except in museums. Does anyone on here actually know of anyone who still has one?
    Last edited by philipdalton; 23-01-2013 at 20:13. Reason: Delete repition

Default Re: Black & White TV's

I've still got one that was a free gift with an order from Grattons about 12 years ago.

It's a has a 6" CRT screen & a built in radio.

I was working the last time I tried it out a few months ago.
    The Trickster On The Roof

i have one its a portable tv tha uses either batteries or mains no good now all digital unless plug diggy cable in i think it might get signal i brought it from car boot for when i went fishing but then our lovely goverment decide to go digital its as much use as a chocolate fire guard now
    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Plenty of people must still have one according to the licensing dept, although I tend to think (probably like most people), that these are bought so as to pay a reduced licensing fee.

Quote Originally Posted by spuggybridge View Post
    Plenty of people must still have one according to the licensing dept, although I tend to think (probably like most people), that these are bought so as to pay a reduced licensing fee.
    I think that I read somewhere (maybe on here even), that now everywhere is digital, b&w tvs can't or don't recieve a signal as they are all analogue...........might have got that wrong though

That would make sense, unless they are still manufacturing b/w TVs that receive digital but I doubt that they are. I suppose they could still get a signal with a digibox perhaps, although sometimes TVs are so old that they don't have the right connections for one.
    Last edited by Trickyvee; 02-02-2013 at 21:37.
    1976 Vintage

not a fan of digital then mark.
    it may be useless but its a nice piece of yesteryear to own.
    last time we had one must be near 2 decades ago.

i wish we had never got shot of it.
    made programmes scarier being in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by xmark1234 View Post
    i have one its a portable tv tha uses either batteries or mains no good now all digital unless plug diggy cable in i think it might get signal i brought it from car boot for when i went fishing but then our lovely goverment decide to go digital its as much use as a chocolate fire guard now
    THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATS HO

Yeah, you can still watch an old school B&W TV with a digibox.

I have a few classic movies that I could only get hold of in Colorized format, which I don't particularly like.
    So i've had to turn the colour all the way down on my 50 inch plasma, thus converting it to black & white.
    Maybe I should spend a whole day watching it in B&W, just for nostalgic purposes.

Back in the early 90s an old friend of mine had an interesting TV.
    It was black & white, and only about a 9 or 10 inch screen.
    But it was knackered, and the picture was compressed, so there was a thick black bar at the top & bottom.
    Watching a full screen movie was bad enough, but a group of us used to gather round to watch kung fu movies in widescreen prints.
    The picture was literally about 3 or 4 inches thick, it was totally ridiculous.
    But we happily used to sit there getting smashed & watching tiny Jackie Chan.

I love my blu-rays and surround sound, but 20 odd years on, and I still have an urge to watch a VHS on a tiny B&W TV.

si was not sure an old B/W telly would work with a digibox myself.

what id like to do is watch a video which is in colour on a B/W telly.
    be funny to see who it looks.
    i have no B/W telly but i have a portable like 12 or 13 inch one must be 20 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonEyeX View Post
    Yeah, you can still watch an old school B&W TV with a digibox.

I have a few classic movies that I could only get hold of in Colorized format, which I don't particularly like.
    So i've had to turn the colour all the way down on my 50 inch plasma, thus converting it to black & white.
    Maybe I should spend a whole day watching it in B&W, just for nostalgic purposes.

Back in the early 90s an old friend of mine had an interesting TV.
    It was black & white, and only about a 9 or 10 inch screen.
    But it was knackered, and the picture was compressed, so there was a thick black bar at the top & bottom.
    Watching a full screen movie was bad enough, but a group of us used to gather round to watch kung fu movies in widescreen prints.
    The picture was literally about 3 or 4 inches thick, it was totally ridiculous.
    But we happily used to sit there getting smashed & watching tiny Jackie Chan.

I love my blu-rays and surround sound, but 20 odd years on, and I still have an urge to watch a VHS on a tiny B&W TV.
    THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATS HO

Some Digiboxes have an RF output, but they are getting hard to find.

Another solution is to connect the box to a video with a scart connection, & then use the RF output into the TV.
    The Trickster On The Roof