Black & White TV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black & White TV's

I was discussing cinema queues with my mate on the `phone last night & we said the reason for the bigger queues in the 70's was that TV's back then were more expensive than what they are today & many people only had a black & white one.
    Black & white TV's are virtually impossible to find these days except in museums. Does anyone on here actually know of anyone who still has one?
    Last edited by philipdalton; 23-01-2013, 20:13. Reason: Delete repition
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Re: Black & White TV's

I've still got one that was a free gift with an order from Grattons about 12 years ago.

It's a has a 6" CRT screen & a built in radio.

I was working the last time I tried it out a few months ago.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i have one its a portable tv tha uses either batteries or mains no good now all digital unless plug diggy cable in i think it might get signal i brought it from car boot for when i went fishing but then our lovely goverment decide to go digital its as much use as a chocolate fire guard now
      THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Plenty of people must still have one according to the licensing dept, although I tend to think (probably like most people), that these are bought so as to pay a reduced licensing fee.

Comment

Originally posted by spuggybridge View Post
          Plenty of people must still have one according to the licensing dept, although I tend to think (probably like most people), that these are bought so as to pay a reduced licensing fee.
          I think that I read somewhere (maybe on here even), that now everywhere is digital, b&w tvs can't or don't recieve a signal as they are all analogue...........might have got that wrong though

Comment

That would make sense, unless they are still manufacturing b/w TVs that receive digital but I doubt that they are. I suppose they could still get a signal with a digibox perhaps, although sometimes TVs are so old that they don't have the right connections for one.
            Last edited by Trickyvee; 02-02-2013, 21:37.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

not a fan of digital then mark.
              it may be useless but its a nice piece of yesteryear to own.
              last time we had one must be near 2 decades ago.

i wish we had never got shot of it.
              made programmes scarier being in black and white.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
              i have one its a portable tv tha uses either batteries or mains no good now all digital unless plug diggy cable in i think it might get signal i brought it from car boot for when i went fishing but then our lovely goverment decide to go digital its as much use as a chocolate fire guard now
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yeah, you can still watch an old school B&W TV with a digibox.

I have a few classic movies that I could only get hold of in Colorized format, which I don't particularly like.
                So i've had to turn the colour all the way down on my 50 inch plasma, thus converting it to black & white.
                Maybe I should spend a whole day watching it in B&W, just for nostalgic purposes.

Back in the early 90s an old friend of mine had an interesting TV.
                It was black & white, and only about a 9 or 10 inch screen.
                But it was knackered, and the picture was compressed, so there was a thick black bar at the top & bottom.
                Watching a full screen movie was bad enough, but a group of us used to gather round to watch kung fu movies in widescreen prints.
                The picture was literally about 3 or 4 inches thick, it was totally ridiculous.
                But we happily used to sit there getting smashed & watching tiny Jackie Chan.

I love my blu-rays and surround sound, but 20 odd years on, and I still have an urge to watch a VHS on a tiny B&W TV.

Comment

si was not sure an old B/W telly would work with a digibox myself.

what id like to do is watch a video which is in colour on a B/W telly.
                  be funny to see who it looks.
                  i have no B/W telly but i have a portable like 12 or 13 inch one must be 20 yrs old.

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                  Yeah, you can still watch an old school B&W TV with a digibox.

I have a few classic movies that I could only get hold of in Colorized format, which I don't particularly like.
                  So i've had to turn the colour all the way down on my 50 inch plasma, thus converting it to black & white.
                  Maybe I should spend a whole day watching it in B&W, just for nostalgic purposes.

Back in the early 90s an old friend of mine had an interesting TV.
                  It was black & white, and only about a 9 or 10 inch screen.
                  But it was knackered, and the picture was compressed, so there was a thick black bar at the top & bottom.
                  Watching a full screen movie was bad enough, but a group of us used to gather round to watch kung fu movies in widescreen prints.
                  The picture was literally about 3 or 4 inches thick, it was totally ridiculous.
                  But we happily used to sit there getting smashed & watching tiny Jackie Chan.

I love my blu-rays and surround sound, but 20 odd years on, and I still have an urge to watch a VHS on a tiny B&W TV.

Comment

Some Digiboxes have an RF output, but they are getting hard to find.

Another solution is to connect the box to a video with a scart connection, & then use the RF output into the TV.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

OMG I remember thinking how very posh we were when we got our first colour telly. The old b&w set was inherited by my big brother, who installed it at the end of his bed in his tiny bedroom, with a wire coat hanger stuck in the back for an aerial.

Comment

I also have a portable black and white tv It's put away in a cupboard
                        A funny story for you.When i got my first tv it was a black and white
                        I couldn't get the damn thing to switch on depite turning every knob ,so ,i called the shop and they sent somebody out to look at it.
                        The guy got it going in 5 seconds flat.He told me "you don't turn it round you pull it out "

Comment

Good story AL.
                          I bet you felt a bit silly getting him out for that.

i so regret us getting shot of our black and white telly.
                          looking bck near 20 yrs i should have kept it.

i prefer black and telly's to colour.
                          makes films scarier.

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                          I couldn't get the damn thing to switch on depite turning every knob ,so ,i called the shop and they sent somebody out to look at it.
                          The guy got it going in 5 seconds flat.He told me "you don't turn it round you pull it out "

Comment

I did feel pretty stupid but we laughed at it and i didn't have to pay

You're right about some things being scarier in black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post

Pulling out knobs.
                              Ooer missus, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X