Black & White TV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black & White TV's

We rented all our old Black and white sets. Extremely unreliable when I was a kid and I seem to have many memories of the TV repair man round the back of the big ole brown TV trying to repair it. It always fascinated me as a kid to just what was inside the thing. I also seem to have memories of a warm electrical smell from it as well as the radiogram. It's certainly a smell from the past.

Comment

My parents rented a TV from Granada until 1984, it was in colour but needed the occasional service or repair.

Eventually we bought a set on credit that was smaller but a lot more modern.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
        We rented all our old Black and white sets. Extremely unreliable when I was a kid and I seem to have many memories of the TV repair man round the back of the big ole brown TV trying to repair it. It always fascinated me as a kid to just what was inside the thing. I also seem to have memories of a warm electrical smell from it as well as the radiogram. It's certainly a smell from the past.
        Yes, that smell of dust heating up on valves is very evocative, isn't it!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Yes i loved that smell but i sometimes i thought when it go too hot it might go boom.!!:d

i think radio rentals had tv's one could rent.
          Cost a fortune renting them better off buying them i know we bought one.

I wonder if u rented it and a repair fella came out did you get the s serviced for free.
          If he was employed by the same company u rented the telly off.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
          we rented all our old black and white sets. Extremely unreliable when i was a kid and i seem to have many memories of the tv repair man round the back of the big ole brown tv trying to repair it. It always fascinated me as a kid to just what was inside the thing. I also seem to have memories of a warm electrical smell from it as well as the radiogram. It's certainly a smell from the past.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

IIRC repairs were free with most if not all rental companies, often they would exchange a set if yours couldn't be repaired in your home.

This was one of the attractions when TVs weren't as reliable.

Some of the better run rental places gave you the option of buying your TV after a few years or upgrading it to a newer model.

Buying ex-rental was a good way to get a fairly new TV cheap, my Uncle did this a couple of times my Granddad wanted a newer TV.

Comment

My Aunt always had redifusion tv rentals she never bought a tv

Comment

Comment

Comment

White Ibbotson 2418

Comment

Wow - what a classic this is Darren my old Mucker

I recall my Uncle (for years) having a TV/Radio combined that was well small (as was brought up in another thread fairly recently) that was Black and White - but sure as Summer follows Spring it was great for him when he was pottering around and to listen to the Cricket Scores etc for him

80sChav

Comment

I have one small black and white Tv. It is in store room now. Before that Tv is everything for us, its an big happiness.
                        Mobile apps development company | ios apps development company

Comment

My older sister is 6 years older than me so when I was 12 she had friends who had their own houses. When her mate got a new telly for his living room I got the old one. It was great having a massive colour telly in my room when all my mates had piddly little 12 to 14 inchers (lol sometimes size does count).

Got about a year out of it before smoke started billowing out of the back of it. Was a bit of a bummer having to go back to this to play my Master System on, it was long 5 month wait til Christmas and a 14" colour portable

Attached Files

Comment

Quite a few turn of the 1980s B&W TVs looked like that, I'm guessing some were made in one factory & simply had different badges stuck on.

Certainly I've not heard of Waltham before.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              Quite a few turn of the 1980s B&W TVs looked like that, I'm guessing some were made in one factory & simply had different badges stuck on.

Certainly I've not heard of Waltham before.

Googling the make doesn't bring up many results and apart from that one I got from my sister I don't think I've ever seen another Waltham. God knows how I remembered the name but I seem to have a good memory for my childhood days.

Comment

I think Waltham may have been a brand exclusive to Woolworth's. They could have been re-badged, but I can't remember seeing the Waltham brand elsewhere. I had a Waltham badged music centre--record deck, tape player and radio--which was bought from Woolworth's around 1980.

Comment

Working...
                                X