• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-christmassy christmas songs...

My favourite has to be Driving home for christmas-Chris Rea

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
      I suppose The Flying Pickets version of 'Only You' falls into this category. I remember watching them perform it dressed as snowmen on TOTP, but it has nothing to do with Christmas.
      Was anybody else fascinated/creeped out in equal measure by the Flying Pickets? Perhaps it was my age...I was 7 when they had their Christmas no 1 with Only You. I really liked the song and for some reason took a shine to the lead singer with his Teddy Boy look (What was my 7 year old self thinking?!) then there was the weird baldy one and the others in the funny hats and shades. For some reason they had me perplexed. I still really like the song.
      Last edited by Trickyvee; 25-07-2013, 19:58.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
        "Stay Another Day" by East17 was a huge Christmas hit, but it had nothing to do with Christmas.
        They just filmed the video in big fluffy white coats, and tacked some sleighbells on the end.
        Errrrgh, horrible memories of that.
        Stay Another Day was truly brilliant when East 17 sang it in 1994 as a non Xmas-y song I think

Though of course it being brought out when Brit-Pop had probably got to it's highest Peak also helped massively I think too

2000 Miles by Chrissy Hythe and The pretenders was a great song too that I guess could be argued was not too Xmas-y but Xmas-y in another way ... but not too Xmas-y too though

80sChav

Comment

The Pet Shop Boys cover of "Always On My Mind", released 1987. I don't actually mind this version of the song, but it has nothing to do with Christmas (as far as I can see). It also denied arguably the greatest Christmas song ever the honour of being the Christmas number one (in the U.K.) - "Fairytale Of New York" (The Pogues & the late Kirsty MacColl).

(Nearly that time of year again!)
          Last edited by Big Tim; 30-10-2016, 18:52.

Comment

The Red Dwarf Theme always makes me think of Xmas.

Comment

The best 2 non-Xmasy Songs I can recall/think are/is East 17 and Stay Another Day (which broke the mould for an Xmasy Song not having to be Xmasy) I think an The Pooges with the late great Kirsty McCall and A Fairytale Of New York (though this was totally un-known/un-thought of as an Xmasy-un-Xmas Song only a few years before Stay another day gained that status I think

Comment

E17 then re-recorded the video to make it more Xmassy, by wearing white fur line hooded coats and snow.

Comment

Bo Rhap was Xmas number one twice!

Magnificooooo!
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Only the video of The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood was Christmassy.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

FEW MORE.
                      A LOT OF THEM IVE NOT HEARD OF.

Christina Aguilera The Voice Within

Katy Perry Wide Awake

Adele Make You Feel My Love

Coldplay Viva La Vida

Bruno Mars Marry You

One Direction Little ThingS

Gabrielle Aplin The Power Of Love

Ellie Goulding How Long Will I Love You

Idina Menzel Let It Go

Lily Allen Somewhere Only We KnoW

Girls Aloud See The Day

East 17 Stay Another Day

Tom Odell Real Love

Little Mix Love Me Like You

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Fairy Tale of New York
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

This year's models
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The aforesaid Stay Another Day by East 17 and 2000 Miles by The Pretenders. Two beautiful songs both about the deaths of people close to the singer; Tony Mortimer's brother Ollie's suicide led him to writing his Xmas hit for E17 and Chrissie Hynde wrote hers for guitarist James Honeymann Scott who had died of a drug related heart attack the previous year aged just 25.
                            ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

The most foulest of the foul Jimmy Osmond's Long haired Lover from Liverpool was number one at Christmas 1972.

ruined everybody's Christmas that did. Yurgh.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                                This year's models
                                The Friends of Jo Cox didn't even make the Top 40 in the end did it, despite many saying it'd bag number 1. The picture they use their on that site features my lazy, self interested MP front and centre looking absolutely ridiculous.

Clean Bandit at Number 1 with Rockabye, the 7th week in a row. A song about a single mum stripping for a living to support her kids. How unxmassy can you get?! Clean Bandit must be minted now - especially with M+S using No Place I'd Rather Be on every ad.
                                ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Working...
                                X