Brotherhood Of Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brotherhood Of Man

I've seen them on the Thursday evening 1970's editions of TOTPS quite a bit recently........I loved em in my younger days

Re: Brotherhood Of Man

One of my early childhood memories was standing as an infant in the school playground and thinking of a piece of music I must have heard on the radio at the time (mid-to-late '70s) whilst staring through the fence at the road and houses beyond. Throughout the years since then I never forgot the melody, but the lyrics were a little hazy, and I always hoped (for nostalgia's sake) that I would one day find out what the tune was. Anyway, a couple of years ago, I put the lyric I could just about remember into iTunes, and for the first time since then I heard it! - It turned out to be 'Oh Boy (The Mood I'm In)' by Brotherhood Of Man. Needless to say, I now have it.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

i can remember watching them on the eurovision song contest in 1976 when i was 12

Comment

Must be honest I thought they were awful!

The Figaro song was the only one I quite liked but otherwise I thought they were just a cheesy 10th rate version of Abba.

They did do pretty well though in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Roz View Post
          Must be honest I thought they were awful!

The Figaro song was the only one I quite liked but otherwise I thought they were just a cheesy 10th rate version of Abba.

They did do pretty well though in fairness.
          Oh you're quite right Roz, they were a 'economy / value' version of Abba..........you didn't really think about things like that when you're young though do you! Click image for larger version

Name:	shame.gif
Views:	2
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	260226

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
            Oh you're quite right Roz, they were a 'economy / value' version of Abba..........you didn't really think about things like that when you're young though do you! [ATTACH=CONFIG]3562[/ATTACH]

In truth I was only very young when they were popular so didn't know a lot about them, I suppose it's having seen them on docs and TOTP from 77/78 like yourself that has made me realise that they weren't much good!

Love watching those old TOTP eps as you can see how music changed so much. 1979-1981 was a real golden era I think, with bands that were a bit naff or past their sell by date losing popularity (not all of them but many of them) - Brotherhood of Man, Sweet, Mud, Showaddywaddy etc...some quite good in their day but looking out of place by that time.

Comment

The original BOM of the late 60's and early 70's were much better, a proper soul-pop band.

Comment

I got a brotherhood of man album for one christmas.I was very excited at the time because I had just obtained an old secondhand phillips portable player.But after one play it got shoved into the back of the cupboard and left there untill it got thrown away in the early part of the 80's.They were ok,but just too tongue in cheek happy for me.

Comment

Does anyone remember the song 'Papa Louis'? My dad bought a copy of it after hearing it on Radio 2 in 1978/79, but I don't know whether it ever charted or not.
                  "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

It didn't chart in the UK. Middle of the night (1978) and then Lightning Flash (1982) were the last two singles to chart for BoM.

Comment

Have always been hooked on the gorgeous Sandra ....

great song here
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct47q0JyKyU

Comment

I always think of the Brotherhood of Man as the British ABBA - Eurovision really helped them when it came to getting a good profile in the latter half of the 1970s.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

blonde and brunette female singers.... yes the same line up as Abba
                          but the guys in Abba let the girls take over lead vocals ... which was unusual back then
                          but in the case of Bro of Man ... that spanish looking guy kept the role as lead singer for
                          himself ....

Comment

Working...
                          X