Smash Up Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smash Up Derby

Anyone else have one of these?, I did and it was great fun!

Re: Smash Up Derby

I had one,but it was called stock car smash up.Would of been around 1977-1978 before those hand held electronic games started to appear commonly.A friend had one the christmas before I got mine,and it was pretty well played with.We both lost most of the parts in the end and used to combine the remaining pieces of our two sets to try to make a full one.In the end he ended up with the remaining pieces of both sets.Good times when I actually had a toy I was supposed to destroy.

Comment

I had 'Stock Car Smash Up' as well, but the cars in my set were a blue VW Beetle and a red pick-up truck. Great fun though.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Yes, mine was a VW Beetle and a red Ford pick-up as well. It was bought me for Christmas by my Gran from Argos around '78, I think they were made by Fisher Price- the Beetle was called 'Moving On' and the Ford pick up was 'Ram X'. You could also get four seperate individual cars as well, though I never remember seeing these on sale in this country- there was another Beetle, purple this time, called 'Blaster Bug' and a green '57 Chevy Estate called 'Wailin' Charlie'.
        I remember feeling cheated that the cars didn't run on their own wheels, but rather had a central wheel powered by a friction cord that you pulled to get it spinning. Never actually played with it much for that reason, I think it went to a jumble sale in the end.

Comment

My brother had Stock car smash up but we always found the problem would be that the cars would always miss each other and end up crashing into a wall or some furniture. We overcame this problem by finding an old length of roof guttering and running the cars along it from opposite ends, hey presto, head on collisions every time.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I had this, again with the blue Beetle and red Pickup. Great fun.

Finnthedude.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                  I had one,but it was called stock car smash up.
                  i also had this. got a vw beetle and a chevy nomad in it.

Comment

Mine was called StockCar Smashups (like in that photo). I had the blue beetle and the blue station wagon in my set. One of my favourite toys as a kid.

My brother had a Pink Panther car that worked using the same principle, big centre wheel with a rip-cord.

Comment

Those pictures bring back happy memories. I never knew they sold them in single packs as well. I am assuming that Stock Car Smash Up was the UK version of the toy looking at the boxes along side each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X