Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels

Not sure if I've asked on here before, but does anyone remeber this series from the 70's?......a precursor to 'Casualty' I suppose.

Re: Angels

i used to love watching angels .........thats going back a few years

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
      i used to love watching angels .........thats going back a few years
      It is indeed!!!!!!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-signs101.gif
Views:	1
Size:	977 Bytes
ID:	260246
      Attached Files

Comment

wow talk about a blast from the past.

seeng that clip i remembered it right away.

yes i sure did watch it.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Most definitely DO remember it- I had an absolute crush on Nurse Jay Harper (Shelley King), the troubled, alcoholic half-Asian ward nurse who was always getting into scrapes of one sort or another.
          It was pretty hard-hitting even by today's standards, and pulled no punches in it's depiction of the sharp end of nursing life (even the title was ironic, the whole point being that the nurses involved were most definitely NOT angels). It didn't shrink from portraying tough social issues like domestic violence, substance abuse, institutional bullying and the traumas of medical work- it, alongside 'General Hospital' were the two main medical dramas of the day.
          I actually think that it remains one of the best British medical soaps ever made- Shelley King now works for the National Theatre.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AngelsS01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	260270

Series 1 is being released on DVD by "Simply Home Entertainment" on 5 Discs on the 18th March 2013 and hopefully the rest will get released too.

Comment

I remember it being on, and I certainly remember the theme tune, but I wasn't really that bothered by it at the time.

Incidently, I have two versions of the Angels theme - 'Motivation' by Alan Parker - the one in the clip above, and a slightly older, slightly rockier one.
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Isn't this the show that first brought us Shirley Cheriton (who was married to the Scottish bloke in Eastenders when it first started) and Pauline Quirke too? There was also a black nurse who was played by the same actress as the girl that Ray Langton cheated on Dierdre with in Corrie.

Comment

Fiona Fullerton was the main star, wasn't she? - recently seen on "Strictly"

Comment

I just watched series 1 on dvd and really enjoyed it. I trained as a nurse in the 80s so a few years after this was made but it was so familiar, including the paper hats, capes and nurses home. Took me right back Does anyone know if there are plans to release the 2nd series?

Comment

Got series 1 and 2 on DVD. Very enjoyable series although its a shame Lesley Dunlop left after S1, she was the best character
                      ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

yes, Shirley Cheriton was the main babe in Angels....
                        she went on to a role in Eastenders

Comment

I have always assumed that Angels was like an indirect predecessor to Casualty - very similar series.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            I have always assumed that Angels was like an indirect predecessor to Casualty - very similar series.
                            In some way you are right, it also led to Eastenders, sharing some of the same creative staff.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I didn't think that there was that connection apart from the fact that they were both made by the BBC.
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X