The Sweeney (1975 tv series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sweeney (1975 tv series)

anyone else watch this or still watch it ??? i got into this recently and i think its fantastic .

now get you trousers on your nicked

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: The Sweeney (1975 tv series)

yep........watch it on itv4 whenever i can.........love the rawness

Comment

yep i love the rawness to those were the days

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

love it.
        watch it whenever i see it on.
        very gritty,cold etc.

they take no nonsense.

here's the intro.
        http://youtu.be/D99O6oTJVHo
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Oh yes. Got every series on DVD, the pilot and both of the original films (which were not quite as good as the TV series), the 'Shut It!' soundtrack CD, all three annuals, a couple of books, and the model Ford Consul GT from the series, so you could say I'm something of a fan of the show.
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
            Oh yes. Got every series on DVD, the pilot and both of the original films (which were not quite as good as the TV series), the 'Shut It!' soundtrack CD, all three annuals, a couple of books, and the model Ford Consul GT from the series, so you could say I'm something of a fan of the show.
            I own those myself, I love the car and the episode guide book especially

ITV4 chop the episodes to bits though, when I got the DVD set I was amazed at what had been edited out

John Thaw was incredible in that show, and Garfield Morgan as Haskins was very underrated.

Comment

never new A.M there was so much memorabilia surrounding the series.
              you must have had this stuff a long time.

annuals must be like 30 yrs old or more.

actually have both films on video.
              thorn emi and emi.

Comment

Well, 'The Sweeney' seemed to reach the height of it's retro-popularity a few years ago (not long before the obviously-influenced-by-The-Sweeney 'Life On Mars' started). It was when the DVD box sets were released. Richmond Toys brought out the model, and the soundtrack CD and Episode Guide books (there are two different ones) came out.

I've had the annuals quite a long time, but I bought them all secondhand (in good condition) in the '80s/'90s. I'm too young to have appreciated the series when it was originally broadcast - the pilot 'Regan' was made when I was 1, and the first series was broadcast when I was 3.

It's surprising really that with the release of the new Ray Winstone movie, the original series hasn't seen a new wave of cash-in merchandise available. I guess the '70s aren't really 'in' at the moment.
                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

the sweeney is actually shown quite a lot on tv.
                  on the digital channels like itv 3 i think.

so worth a watch mate i think.

Well, 'The Sweeney' seemed to reach the height of it's retro-popularity a few years ago (not long before the obviously-influenced-by-The-Sweeney 'Life On Mars' started). It was when the DVD box sets were released. Richmond Toys brought out the model, and the soundtrack CD and Episode Guide books (there are two different ones) came out.

I've had the annuals quite a long time, but I bought them all secondhand (in good condition) in the '80s/'90s. I'm too young to have appreciated the series when it was originally broadcast - the pilot 'Regan' was made when I was 1, and the first series was broadcast when I was 3.

It's surprising really that with the release of the new Ray Winstone movie, the original series hasn't seen a new wave of cash-in merchandise available. I guess the '70s aren't really 'in' at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

It's on ITV4 Darren, it was on last night and on a couple of times midweek I think?

If you have the money though treat yourself to the DVD boxset. I'm sure Austin Maxi has the 'Definitive' collection like myself which has tons of extras, but you can get a cheaper version too. It really is hacked by ITV4 so you miss out on quite a bit.

Comment

hi mate.
                      yes i can imagine a lot is cut from the version they show on itv 4 roz.
                      same with dempsey and makepeace and loads of others i love.

think i might have to invest a few quid then.

Originally posted by Roz View Post
                      It's on ITV4 Darren, it was on last night and on a couple of times midweek I think?

If you have the money though treat yourself to the DVD boxset. I'm sure Austin Maxi has the 'Definitive' collection like myself which has tons of extras, but you can get a cheaper version too. It really is hacked by ITV4 so you miss out on quite a bit.

Comment

hi mate.
                        yes i can imagine a lot is cut from the version they show on itv 4 roz.
                        same with dempsey and makepeace and loads of others i love.

think i might have to invest a few quid then.
                        Play.com has the Definitive Collection for a decent price (£69.99):

http://www.play.com/Search.html?sear...pe=allproducts

On Amazon the same set is going for £139!!

I've noticed one or two on ebay that state they are the Definitive Collection but actually aren't the 18 disc set so be careful if you do buy.

Comment

Definitely!!

I saw some of them first time around. I think it was Monday nights at 9pm on Thames...Can't be sure though...

Comment

I loved watching the sweeney when it came out originally,and still do.The greatest actor to have ever appeared in it,apart from John and Dennis of course,was the aptly name George Sweeney ( who was,and still is,a practicing plumber ).The two episodes George Sweeney was in,were the most exciting and barbaric of them all.

Comment

Its back on ITV 4 which I have been watching

Comment

Working...
                              X