Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vesta Meals!

Thanks for that inside info.

There was a programme on recently about cooking in the sixties where a Vesta curry was cooked up.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Am currently eating a Vesta Beef Curry while perusing the forum...can't get any more retro than that...unless I was wearing 26" bell bottom jeans and a tank top, which thankfully I am not!

Have just ordered a quantity online as my local Poundland has run

Comment

.... pressed wrong button and finished reply to early....as I was saying, my local Poundland has run dry of them (didn't buy them all up, honest guv!), so purchased some Beef Curry and some Chow Mein on-line. This feels a bit like cheating as they really should only be sold in corner shop grocers by a man wearing a white coat in true 1970s style!

Comment

I've spotted them in a few shops since the last time they were mentioned.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Only really enjoy the Chow Mein, so much so I am now having one every week
            Its the crispy noodles that make it work

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
              Its the crispy noodles that make it work
              I remember seeing my Dad cook the crispy noodles & being absolutely amazed !
              Used to love 'em, but I haven't tried one for years,
              Think i'm gonna have to now !

Comment

Also worked in Sheffield yonks ago at Bassetts, Hillsborough. Up to age 30 regularly dined a la Vesta.
                #1 Favourite was Prawn Curry--has it really bitten the dust??. Did come across Beef Curry in Home Bargains
                last week and had to buy a pack at £1. It was great in flavour--the meat/"meat" chunks a bit chewy
                --ditched the rice and had the curry sauce with chips. Also much liked the Chop Suey--or was it Chow Mein
                with crispy noodles and wet noodles. Which varieties remain and where I would love to know--any help much
                appreciated. Regards. DCB

Comment

I've seen these in my local 'Asda' and 'Veals' stores, i'm tempted coz i remember having them 35 years ago...........but i'm not that tempted though!.

Comment

Originally posted by BRATTY41 View Post
                    Also worked in Sheffield yonks ago at Bassetts, Hillsborough. Up to age 30 regularly dined a la Vesta.
                    #1 Favourite was Prawn Curry--has it really bitten the dust??. Did come across Beef Curry in Home Bargains
                    last week and had to buy a pack at £1. It was great in flavour--the meat/"meat" chunks a bit chewy
                    --ditched the rice and had the curry sauce with chips. Also much liked the Chop Suey--or was it Chow Mein
                    with crispy noodles and wet noodles. Which varieties remain and where I would love to know--any help much
                    appreciated. Regards. DCB
                    Hi Bratty!
                    I think the range has now been reduced to four varieties from what I can tell...Beef Curry, Chow Mein, Paella, and Beef Risotto. My local Poundland has now replenished their stock of the curry and Paella, so if you have one in your area its worth a try, I have also seen them in Lidl as well. Finally ASDA certainly stocks them, but the choice is limited.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for that Cockney kid--will search out a Poundland--and maybe start a campaign
                      to get Prawn Curry back on the menu--any others of that mind--kind regards Bratty

Comment

Originally posted by BRATTY41 View Post
                        Thanks for that Cockney kid--will search out a Poundland--and maybe start a campaign
                        to get Prawn Curry back on the menu--any others of that mind--kind regards Bratty
                        You can also order them on line from Amazon, if you get really desperate! Much more expensive than in the grocery stores, though...think the Prawn Curry has gone the way of Chicken Supreme etc. I'm afraid...

Comment

I remember my Aunt getting the Chow Mein one. She offered to let me try some one time but I refused, it had meat in it and I don't eat meat, even if it was synthetic meat, it still looked too realistic to me, but I did love the crunchy noodles that you cooked in the frying pan. They were a bit greasy, but they were nice.
                          - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
                          - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by cockneykid1962 View Post
                            You can also order them on line from Amazon, if you get really desperate! Much more expensive than in the grocery stores, though...think the Prawn Curry has gone the way of Chicken Supreme etc. I'm afraid...
                            I have them on and off as a treat, Beef ressotto is always good then the paella.

However be warned!!

2 Years ago they changed the amount in them slightly and it says "meal for one" top right hand side of the packaging but it is the same price! as it used to be the sneaky people they are!

Well not a treat I just like em sometimes like fish finger butties even though I am 46 nearly

Comment

i so love the chow mein one, i bought it from morrisons a while back, dont know if they still have them in the store

Comment

As seen in a warehouse store local to me this afternoon Click image for larger version

Name:	91.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	260237

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00075-20130219-1456.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	260238

Comment

Working...
                                X