Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tv symbol before progs started, 1980's

Hi

Wondering if anyone else remembers a particular symbol that a channel showed early morning before the programmes started. Think it could have been bbc2, I could be totally wrong. It was a very basic computerised picture of a tv in a living room, in about 4 colours. I remember getting up very early one Saturday and seeing this on the screen, I thought it was cool because it looked like a computer game-so much so that I got a box, drew buttons on it in felt tip and sat there pretending to play a game-how sad! This was before my household got a games console! It would've been mid-late 80's : )

Re: tv symbol before progs started, 1980's

Was it one of the Ceefax pages? Somehow I remember seeing something like this on Ceefax but the memories are very hazy.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Maybe it was, I thought it was on the actual tv though, because I remember waiting for the programmes to start and it then vanishing, but as it was so long ago I might be getting mixed up! It looked like a ceefax type image to be fair!

Comment

Sometimes they used to put up Ceefax pages on normal TV before the programmes started so it might have been.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

My favourite pre-programme symbol was the Channel 4 figure coming together, then playing that daaa daaa da daaah electronic tune for 5 minutes or so before the schedule started. For me that tune is synonymous with the 80s, along with the Brookside theme.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R86_TLuI51w

Comment

The full 'Forescore':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xr8MgDiVyw

Comment

Thanks for those, ayrshireman! Are you actually from Ayrshire then? Near my home town of Dumfries!

Comment

Yes.

Irvine born and bred.

Comment

Well howdy neighbour! (even though I now live at the other end of the country!)

Comment

Composed by David Dundas, who had a hit with Blue Jeans in the 70s and scored Withnail and I
                      ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Working...
                      X