Digital Music & Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Music & Technology

Actually I think many artists are better off because of downloads, as a lot people have replaced their vinyl albums with MP3s in recent years so double the royalties

As for YouTube can anyone here honestly say they *don't* use it? Again it's actually broken a lot of artists so no bad thing.

As I said in an earlier post, most bands make their money from touring these days anyway. Hence the likes of The Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac no longer need to make new music as they rake it in through concert ticket sales alone.

Comment

I hope the music industry can come up with a way to combat the thieves but think back how many of us taped songs from the radio rather than buy them, go back a few years didn't we all know someone who could supply us with the latest chart albums by way of pirated CDs. its not the people who buy downloads that hurt artists its the thieves they always have and always will. its also worth pointing out that many vehicles are no longer fitted with CD players so if you want to listen to your music it will have to be via mp3.

Comment

Shouldn't play music in the car anyway.It's been proven to be a distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
          Shouldn't play music in the car anyway.It's been proven to be a distraction.
          I drive for a living and if i didn't play music there would be blood.

Comment

LOL

I am getting a little OT here but the volume some people have their music in their cars i am surprised there isn't blood already.....coming out of their ears.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
              LOL

I am getting a little OT here but the volume some people have their music in their cars i am surprised there isn't blood already.....coming out of their ears.
              Cant argue with you on that.

Comment

Well, I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the new digital age with iPods + downloads, though for an "important" release I'll buy the Cd and manually install it on my 'puter and iPod. But nothing will EVER be as special as it used to be when you rushed out to buy an anticipated new album - they truly were things of beauty, and CD artwork is too small to make the same impact. Give me a gatefold sleeve and a lyric sheet and I'd be over the moon.

The other big difference that digital music has brought about is the way we actually listen to our albums - more often than not we seem these days to hear them piecemeal, with the 'pod on shuffle mode, or even just skimming over less favoured tracks - unless we're really in the mood, or it's the first listening of a new album, we tend not to listen to a whole album in its entirety any more, in the order that the artist intended. Like everything else these days, instant gratification wins out over the pleasures of savouring the whole experience in our rush to get to the "good bits".

Comment

yes thats what i love about music yrs back.
                  On the cassettes of which i have quite a lot mariah carey albums all that where released on tape.
                  I just loved how you where forced to listen to all the tracks to enjoy the entire album.

ok you could skip songs by fast forwarding but you normally forwarded too far.
                  so just better listening from start to finish.

thats wat i do not like how you can skip to songs you like.
                  and i agree i loved going out to get the latest album be it on cassette or vinyl of which ive quite a lot of.

i feel less importance is put on artwork and the quality of the cd music is not as good as it was on vinyl.

To me vinyl is the best way to listen to music.
                  id include laserdiscs as well of which i have a lot.
                  the artwork is tremendous on both.

Originally posted by mazzer View Post
                  Well, I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the new digital age with iPods + downloads, though for an "important" release I'll buy the Cd and manually install it on my 'puter and iPod. But nothing will EVER be as special as it used to be when you rushed out to buy an anticipated new album - they truly were things of beauty, and CD artwork is too small to make the same impact. Give me a gatefold sleeve and a lyric sheet and I'd be over the moon.

The other big difference that digital music has brought about is the way we actually listen to our albums - more often than not we seem these days to hear them piecemeal, with the 'pod on shuffle mode, or even just skimming over less favoured tracks - unless we're really in the mood, or it's the first listening of a new album, we tend not to listen to a whole album in its entirety any more, in the order that the artist intended. Like everything else these days, instant gratification wins out over the pleasures of savouring the whole experience in our rush to get to the "good bits".
                  Last edited by darren; 16-03-2013, 15:54.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    yes thats what i love about music yrs back.
                    On the cassettes of which i have quite a lot mariah carey albums all that where released on tape.
                    I just loved how you where forced to listen to all the tracks to enjoy the entire album.

ok you could skip songs by fast forwarding but you normally forwarded too far.
                    so just better listening from start to finish.

thats wat i do not like how you can skip to songs you like.
                    and i agree i loved going out to get the latest album be it on cassette or vinyl of which ive quite a lot of.

i feel less importance is put on artwork and the quality of the cd music is not as good as it was on vinyl.

To me vinyl is the best way to listen to music.
                    id include laserdiscs as well of which i have a lot.
                    the artwork is tremendous on both.

I did prefer vinyl to cassettes, for a start the artwork was bigger (obviously!) and cassettes seemed to get warped quite quickly.

Still, vinyl getting scratched is a problem. I remember buying 'The Call Up' by The Clash at a record fair and not realising that it jumped midway through, it was only when I bought a video compilation which featured that track that I realised!

I do agree that it's lovely getting your hands on a new album, but again for practical reasons as mentioned above I still think digital is the way forward. At the end of the day it's the music itself that matters the most to me and I'll compromise on the pretty packaging to get the clearest sound (fussy sod that I am)

Comment

Another thing I loved about about vinyl was that you sometimes had little messages etched into the wide space between the music grooves and the label - lots of records had "a porky prime cut" etched on to them, I took it that someone named Porky was responsible for pressing that particular disc. But there were loads of other messages too, it was fun looking for them.

Comment

Sorry I am late to this thread, but just wanted to say that my tactic is this: buy an album 2nd hand on the bay, cheap as anything now everyone is getting rid if them. Copy it to iTunes. Then, if it's a keeper, keep both. If not, resell the cd, effectively getting the album for free.

I miss the whole experience of vinyl. And i think that the "get anything, at any time" convenience must make life that little bit less exciting. I spent whole chunks of my youth searching out that rare record from a particular shop, and oh, the sheer joy when I found it...

I reckon downloads are going to completely kill off book shops and music stores before long. Plus, one day there will be no widespread 2nd hand market shops for games, books or music, and that will be a sad day.

As for artist income, well, why should someone be a multi millionaire just because they make good music ?The rock n roll lifestyle thing always seemed a bit absurd to me.

Comment

personally i think vinyl sounds better than anything else.

Originally posted by Roz View Post
                          I did prefer vinyl to cassettes, for a start the artwork was bigger (obviously!) and cassettes seemed to get warped quite quickly.

Still, vinyl getting scratched is a problem. I remember buying 'The Call Up' by The Clash at a record fair and not realising that it jumped midway through, it was only when I bought a video compilation which featured that track that I realised!

I do agree that it's lovely getting your hands on a new album, but again for practical reasons as mentioned above I still think digital is the way forward. At the end of the day it's the music itself that matters the most to me and I'll compromise on the pretty packaging to get the clearest sound (fussy sod that I am)
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            personally i think vinyl sounds better than anything else.
                            Yes the scratches now and again

Comment

Or the background sound of frying bacon at all the quite moments.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Being slightly old fashioned about this I still buy the CD (in the last 2 weeks bought Queens of the Stone Age and The Strokes new albums on CD and intend buying Editors new album this weekend), I would only buy any music on download if this was the only outlet available, as for record shops dying a death That's Entertainment seem to be going from strength to strength. Another point is how are the scratching "Hip-Hop" Dj's going to find new sounds with new vinyl becoming increasingly difficult to source.

Comment

Working...
                                X