Childhood medicines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Childhood medicines

I remember Junior Disprin medicine was banana flavour, which made it even harder to take!

There used to be some cough pastilles that tasted a bit like tar, I once got it trouble for spitting one out in the bin because it was so nasty!

My Mum bought a device for medicating the air as we slept when we had heavy colds. It was a brass cylinder witha tea light in the base & block of what looked like limestone to pour a medicine on.

The tealight would heat up the block & the medicine would vapourise, filling the room with a very chemical like smell. I think my Mum stopped using it was she was worried about gassing us, & risking burning the house down at the same time.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember being given an antibiotic called Penbritin, it was a creamy yellow colour and very sweet and after it sickened me once, I hated it. I remember another antibiotic that was pink, thick and gloopy and tasted like liquorice...in a disgusting way. There was also a horrible cough bottle called Alupent Expectorant, it was clear coloured, oily and tasted vile.

I can remember being given a red cough medicine at night that tasted nice. I loved the Halliborange vitamin c orange tablets, we used to get one each to suck on our way to school.

We were dosed with Milk of Magnesia on a regular basis...my mam used to ask if our poo was hard or soft...I could never remember which was the right answer to give to avoid being given a dose of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
        I remember being given an antibiotic called Penbritin, it was a creamy yellow colour and very sweet and after it sickened me once, I hated it. I remember another antibiotic that was pink, thick and gloopy and tasted like liquorice...in a disgusting way. There was also a horrible cough bottle called Alupent Expectorant, it was clear coloured, oily and tasted vile.

I can remember being given a red cough medicine at night that tasted nice. I loved the Halliborange vitamin c orange tablets, we used to get one each to suck on our way to school.

We were dosed with Milk of Magnesia on a regular basis...my mam used to ask if our poo was hard or soft...I could never remember which was the right answer to give to avoid being given a dose of it.
        I remember being given that pink antibiotic medicine as well. Bleuck! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

There used to be some cough pastilles that tasted a bit like tar, I once got it trouble for spitting one out in the bin because it was so nasty!
          I remember having some like this. Little brown things. Think they might have been called 'Potts' pastilles or something. Disgusting.

Never could resist snaffling a tune or a locket if my parents had them yet every single time I spat them out.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            I remember having some like this. Little brown things. Think they might have been called 'Potts' pastilles or something. Disgusting.

Never could resist snaffling a tune or a locket if my parents had them yet every single time I spat them out.
            It's good to hear I'm not the only one, I was ok with Tunes (though don't try eating Roast Beef Monster Munch afterwards!), along with Halls & Hacks lozenges.

It took a while to get used to Fisherman's Friends.

Comment

I remember Junior Disprin, for kids. Also Olbas Oil for colds and Clarityne for hayfever. Then there was something my mother used to bring out for colds, it made a ton of mucus come up (I suspect it was some form of Acetylcysteine which I think is now more commonly used as an antidote to paracetamol overdose or paracetamol resistance ...)

I also remember a leaflet called "Medicines Are Not Child's Play" that used to be distributed in GP surgeries during the '90s. (I used to make it my mission to collect leaflets whenever I was in there) I do remember it saying that old medicines should be flushed down the toilet to dispose of them safely, that wouldn't fly these days

Comment

wow i forgot all about them tilll u mentioned them they where brown i actually quite liked them cant remember what they where for but maybe the cold or a sore throat perhaps.hem like sweets,

i actually took them when i didnt need them as i treated them like sweets.

i do the same with calpol even now and other medicines such as ones for sore throats.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  haha funny enough i still do this.
                  i also love drinking lemsips.

sometimes i add sugar or a dash of lemon to them.
                  Me too. I'm not keen on Lemsips but I do like good old fashioned Beecham's Powders which still come in the little folded paper sachets. They're my main go to for colds and sometimes I'll have one for a headache or if I'm just feeling off and want to warm up in winter.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by screamqueen View Post
                    I remember Junior Disprin, for kids. Also Olbas Oil for colds and Clarityne for hayfever. Then there was something my mother used to bring out for colds, it made a ton of mucus come up (I suspect it was some form of Acetylcysteine which I think is now more commonly used as an antidote to paracetamol overdose or paracetamol resistance ...)

I also remember a leaflet called "Medicines Are Not Child's Play" that used to be distributed in GP surgeries during the '90s. (I used to make it my mission to collect leaflets whenever I was in there) I do remember it saying that old medicines should be flushed down the toilet to dispose of them safely, that wouldn't fly these days
                    I remember reading a while back that chemists could dispose of old medicines for you, & that you shouldn't flush them away.

Comment

Gripe water nice. Gin also nice Hmmmmm.Think I am joking but when I was a wee thing mum was told by the doctor to dip the dummy into gin and give it to me as a knockout. Guess I never lost the taste for strong liquor.

Every thing else from the doctor was just yuck and made me want to reach for the brown paper bag. I can still taste some of those revolting medicines and the ones that were flavored to hide the taste were usually the worse.

Comment

oh yes beechams powders for got about those didnt realise u could still get them.

they are both great as they are nicely flavoured as well as doing there job.

Me too. I'm not keen on Lemsips but I do like good old fashioned Beecham's Powders which still come in the little folded paper sachets. They're my main go to for colds and sometimes I'll have one for a headache or if I'm just feeling off and want to warm up in winter.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

camphorated oil warmed up on the top of the fire to rub on your chest..........disprin.......decquadine lozenges............vick vapour rub

these bring back some old memories

Comment

I bet none of you remember Gentian Violet?? My Mum used to 'paint' the inside of our mouths with this stuff when we had mouth ulcers. I cant remember it tasting of much, but I can still see the dark coloured glass bottle with vertical grooves in my minds eye even to this day!

Comment

Does anybody remember Condy's crystals? I don't but apparently my grandad used them to soak his feet. Potassium Permanganate?
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

I used to hate 'Quick Kwells' car sickness tablets - I'm convinced they CAUSED me to get car sick!!

Comment

Working...
                                X