Childhood medicines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childhood medicines

There's probably a thread on this somewhere but I can't find anything so feel free to merge if necessary.

Things I remember taking when I was I'll...

Benylin. The bog standard cure-all for colds and the like. I think you could probably only get one type then. I certainly had a dose for colds, coughs, whatever.

Disprin. Can you still get this? Low strength aspirin. I quite liked the taste dissolved in water.

Bonjela. Fabulous aniseed flavour gel for sore gums and ulcers. It never got anywhere the sore bits in my gob because I licked it off. LOVED it even as a young baby and aniseed remains one of my most favourite tastes as an adult!

Millpar. Another favourite. Indigestion relief in the shape of a creamy white liquid, a bit like gaviscon but without the mintyness. Not sure why I liked it but I was a fan of the smooth, chalky, creamy taste. It came in a blue bottle.

Vicks vaporub. No snot-fest was complete without several nights of VV slathered under my nose and on my chest. These days I use Tiger Balm, which smells the same and has the same effect.

Calpol. Only ever had this once. Refused thereafter because it tasted of sick and not orange as the label claimed.

And from the doctor...

Orange vitamin pills. I think these were from the doctor, although why I had these on prescription I don't know. Small, hard, orange coloured tablets like smarties. I think I only ever had them once. Perhaps I was lied to and they were something else! But they did taste of orange and were quite nice. Don't think things like Bassets soft and chewy were available then (if only)!

Antibiotics. In the familiar brown bottle. Always strawberry in my case but I know in some quarters people had banana flavour. Tasty!

Generic dark red coloured 'medicine', dished out when bugs were bad enough for me to go to the doctors. Probably didn't actually do anything.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Childhood medicines

I remember having Actifed (sp?) for coughs & sore throats.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I loved the strawberry calpol, when it wasn't sugar free! I used to drink it out of the bottle without my mum seeing! Not the orange so much. Also loved bonjela, I used to eat it out the tube. I also used to have minadex, it was a vitamin liquid I think. There was a brown medicine I used to love, the kids box wad red and the adults was white. Was it Cowlin and morphene, I could be wrong. Does anyone remember liquafruita? I think it was called that, I think it was a honey/lemon medicine.

Comment

haha funny enough i still do this.
        i also love drinking lemsips.

sometimes i add sugar or a dash of lemon to them.

Originally posted by smiles7964 View Post
        I loved the strawberry calpol, when it wasn't sugar free! I used to drink it out of the bottle without my mum seeing! Not the orange so much. Also loved bonjela, I used to eat it out the tube. I also used to have minadex, it was a vitamin liquid I think. There was a brown medicine I used to love, the kids box wad red and the adults was white. Was it Cowlin and morphene, I could be wrong. Does anyone remember liquafruita? I think it was called that, I think it was a honey/lemon medicine.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to like the taste of Galloways Cough Mixture. I don't know if you can still get it.

When I was very young, I recall (not exactly a medicine, but I've just remembered it) using Punch & Judy toothpaste.
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

another i love is for bad coughs and a bad chest.
            think its a decongestant comes in a darkish bottle.

maybe im thinking of calpol again but i dont think so.
            its very sticky and you only a take a teaspoon at a time.

well thats what your meant to do.

Comment

Buttercup cough syrup
              Heather

Comment

yes i believe your correct mate.

its so tasty too nice to me medicine.

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
                Buttercup cough syrup

Comment

Mine was Calpol. Later I moved on to Covonia, which I hated at first. I liked Vaporub but I hated Sinex going up my nose, still do. Anyone remember Superted vitamins?

Comment

was just thinking.

what about the likes of tunes and lockets.
                    they are meant for coughs and colds and yet are sold as sweets.

they could be classed as medicines.

Comment

I was always given Milk of Magnesia for sore tummies, moving on to sparkling Andrews' for indigestion as I got older. Vicks vapo-rub, for colds, with lots of Cherry flavoured Tunes to suck as well. I had a lovely amber coloured cough syrup as well - which tasted exactly like Buttercup cough syrup - and I got into awful trouble when my mum discovered I'd been sneaking sips of it out of the bottle in the bathroom cupboard just cos I liked it, when I didn't need it. In winter I was given Haliborange vitamin pills.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        was just thinking.

what about the likes of tunes and lockets.
                        they are meant for coughs and colds and yet are sold as sweets.

they could be classed as medicines.
                        Same with Halls & Hacks lozenges.

Fisherman's Friends seem to cross that line as well.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Haliborange and red linctus spring to mind, also remember a white medicine bought from the chemist it had a chalky consistency and had a picture of a fisherman with very large fish on the label cant remember what the stuff was though.

Comment

Hello, how you have brought memories to the fore! I may be somewhat older than you, but Hall's Bronchill Balsam holds strong memories (was for coughs, and was dissolved in hot water) as does Haliborange (the little orange vitamin C pills which tasted great at the time!).

Comment

Fisons chewable vitamin tablets. They tasted lovely and came in a plastic bottle with a wad of cotton wool stuffed in the neck. I used to like the taste of a medicine that had no name but it was yellow and had a banana-esque taste to it. I remember a toothpaste that was orange in colour that came out of a blue metal tube. Can't remember the name though. What was the name of the Lemsip-like powders that came in plain white sachets inside a blue and yellow box?

Comment

Working...
                              X