Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jotters.

Default Re: Jotters.

We had jotters as well.

Hard keeping my writing in a straight line as the paper had no lines.
    sometimes i got a ruler and drew lines.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Never had these sadly ... !!, it would of been well cool no doubts though!

The nearest we had was "rough books" for English, Maths and Science what you basically did your "rough notes" in and information taken as notes etc ... or failing that your "Homework Diary" if you was one of the tough guy's/gals!

80sChav

Regarding jotters not sure if im dreaming this but where rough books the paper a darker colour im near sure it was.

And then the jotters where white lined paper which iam sure of.

Quote Originally Posted by 80schav View Post
    never had these sadly ... !!, it would of been well cool no doubts though!

The nearest we had was "rough books" for english, maths and science what you basically did your "rough notes" in and information taken as notes etc ... Or failing that your "homework diary" if you was one of the tough guy's/gals!

80schav

They were very poor quality paper, designed for rough notes, only. We had to use proper nib pens and the ink used to soak through and smudge!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

We had "Rough Books" too, at Primary School, at least. Exactly as others have described, really poor quality paper, almost a cross between ordinary paper and paper towels - and the comment above about the ink soaking in is definitely correct; and also, if you used a pencil which had been freshly sharpened, it would just rip the page if you pressed too hard, or be too faint otherwise. For some reason, the covers of "Rough Books" at our school were always green. We then had better quality exercise books for actual work that was marked by the teachers. Quite a lot of written work at school was done in "draft" form in a rough book, as the final thing was often done (hand written) on lined A4 paper and bound together in a card folder which was generally called "project" work.

We also had "handwriting" books, which I've never seen since - they had wide line spacing of blue lines, with two smaller pink lines in between, which apparently was supposed to train pupils to all write neatly and as uniformly as possible.

Yes the paper for rough notes was so easy to put a hole in.

I suppose they thought well theyre rough notes so why not use low quality paper.
    Theyd have been better off just using high quality paper for jotters then.

As big tim says it was like a cross between ordinary paper and paper towels.

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    they were very poor quality paper, designed for rough notes, only. We had to use proper nib pens and the ink used to soak through and smudge!

I had loads of exercise books at school but they all had decent quality paper. Homework diaries started being used in Y3 when kids got regular homework.

Did any teachers ever make kids rewrite the contents of their exercise books because of things like sketching pictures in them? It never happened in my schools but I have heard that it was once quite commonplace.

At secondary school we had jotters, which were referred to as 'rough books'. I think they had blue covers and were of an inferior paper quality to normal exercise books. Some teachers were happy to let us write straight into our exercise books, but one in particular made us write down everything in our rough book and then transfer it neatly to our exercise book at home.

We had Rough Books if this means anything/or adds up to similar

In first two years at Secondary we had to "wallpaper" our rough books for English in-particular so everyone (Teachers and Kids) knew which was Rough and which was Best!!

80sChav

They had more pages than an average exercise book and felt as if they were made on recycled paper - I never used to like using them because of the roughness of the books and paper inside.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).