Jotters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jotters.

Yes the paper for rough notes was so easy to put a hole in.

I suppose they thought well theyre rough notes so why not use low quality paper.
    Theyd have been better off just using high quality paper for jotters then.

As big tim says it was like a cross between ordinary paper and paper towels.

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    they were very poor quality paper, designed for rough notes, only. We had to use proper nib pens and the ink used to soak through and smudge!
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I had loads of exercise books at school but they all had decent quality paper. Homework diaries started being used in Y3 when kids got regular homework.

Did any teachers ever make kids rewrite the contents of their exercise books because of things like sketching pictures in them? It never happened in my schools but I have heard that it was once quite commonplace.

Comment

At secondary school we had jotters, which were referred to as 'rough books'. I think they had blue covers and were of an inferior paper quality to normal exercise books. Some teachers were happy to let us write straight into our exercise books, but one in particular made us write down everything in our rough book and then transfer it neatly to our exercise book at home.

Comment

We had Rough Books if this means anything/or adds up to similar

In first two years at Secondary we had to "wallpaper" our rough books for English in-particular so everyone (Teachers and Kids) knew which was Rough and which was Best!!

80sChav

Comment

They had more pages than an average exercise book and felt as if they were made on recycled paper - I never used to like using them because of the roughness of the books and paper inside.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              They had more pages than an average exercise book and felt as if they were made on recycled paper - I never used to like using them because of the roughness of the books and paper inside.
              These efinitley sound look "Rough Books" I think George (which we had for our Core Subjects) like Maths, English and General Science at my first Secondary and definitley of inferior qaulity compared to "Best Books"!!

89sChav

Comment

I am almost certain that I dropped one in a puddle one rainy day and it almost disintegrated.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I am almost certain that I dropped one in a puddle one rainy day and it almost disintegrated.
                  Like in GH hey George in Series 9 when Danny threw his Homework Diary in the Fountain that Mr Glover had proudly just had installed!

Comment

Thank goodness my school never had a fountain - the nearest we had to that was our swimming lessons.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thank goodness my school never had a fountain - the nearest we had to that was our swimming lessons.
                      Yeah it'd be Danny Kendall all over again,like he did in Series 10 indeed George!

Personaly though - yeah my first secondary was a Sink School (so they never bothered to check them properly), but my 2nd School was better and they did check properly - regardless i saw no point in Jotters/Homework Diary's to have signed!

Comment

The thing about jotters is that they weren't much different to exercise books - why not write you work in an exercise book instead?
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

We had rough books in secondary school - I remember they had orange covers, and yes, really poor quality paper. I filled mine with doodles. Could only use pencil or biro to write in it, if you used a fountain pen it would smudge hugely!

Comment

Originally posted by hazel View Post
                            We had rough books in secondary school - I remember they had orange covers, and yes, really poor quality paper. I filled mine with doodles. Could only use pencil or biro to write in it, if you used a fountain pen it would smudge hugely!
                            I think mine were blue

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                              I think mine were blue
                              My mum (mam) kept all my old primary school books, i still have them now 50 years later...yes they were blue "exercise book", had them out a few months ago reminising and having a good laugh at the backward numbers and letters. Some of my stories were hillarious....ahh, the imagination of a 7 year old child
                              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Talking of Diary's - ourr's often doubled as "said Jotters" Lol , but who else just got your Parents etc to sign for a load of rubbish that was wrote that you had done in your Homework Diary??

This was so all the time for me (and more so when in 4th Year - Year 10 in Today's currency) I went a whole week subbing my School Shirt for a Polo Shirt .... until certain Teachers sussed and it then gottan wrote down in "said Diary)!!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X