Deep Pan Pizza Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Pan Pizza Company

Anyone remember this chain, which was huge in the 80s? I'm very fussy about pizza (being half Italian) and find most in this country an abomination - Pizza Express being the only chain that seems to get anywhere near the flavour of the real MCCoy - but the Deep Pan Pizza Company pizzas were a revelatiion! Freshly baked, deep dish, crispy on outside and fluffy inside, generous toppings and the BEST help yourself salad bar EVER! Such a shame when the chain was bought out by the lacklustre Pizza Hut, whose pizzas are bland, boring and textureless by comparison. As a student, a meal out at the Leicester Square branch of DPPC was considered one of my favourite special occasion treats.

Re: Deep Pan Pizza Company

We had a DPPC in town from the late 1980s and it closed a couple of years ago to become a disgusting Subway. They used to make their own fresh dough and the pizzas were delicious but there were some long waits for your food.

Comment

Ugh, Subway! Spend 10 minutes in one and you stink of meatballs marinara all day, even if that's not what you ate there!

DPPC used to have really interesting stuff in its salad bar, like sardines, tuna&sweetcorn, mushrooms a la greque, olives, aubergines, potato salad and all sorts! And the pizzas were worth the wait - and served in the metal pan they were baked in if I remember rightly.

Comment

As you claim to be 'Half Italian' then you should know that Italians do not consider Deep Pan a pizza. Deep Pan pizza is an American invention from Chicago, Illinois and nothing to do with Italy, you would not even be able to order Deep Pan style pizza in Italy unless it was from an American Pizza Chain. Traditional Italian Pizza is made on flatbread. Italians who may have heard of deep pan pizza dont even consider it is qualified as a pizza since it is so thick and looks more like a pie.
        Other than that the Deep Pan Pizza Companies pizzas were disgusting with the base usually soaked in grease due to the amount of cheese and other toppings causing the grease to sink to the bottom.
        Mazzer please don't claim to be something you are not, especially when you clearly have no idea about Italian food and culture.

Comment

I wonder whether they were the same company as Snappy Tomato Pizza? The Nottingham one were very popular in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

When I got married in the mid 90s my wife and I use to visit DPP every few weeks. I think we were a jinx to any establishment we visited because soon after they would close down. I recall visiting at least four different DDP, which all closed soon after.

Comment

Working...
            X