Trying to recall 1980's Show on ITV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to recall 1980's Show on ITV

Hi everyone. For the last couple of days I've been driven crazy trying to identify a series that was on ITV in the mid 80's. I think it was called something like Squire or The Squire and was on around 9pm on a weeknight.
    Every episode began with the main character driving into his parking space at work in his Jaguar and he was met by a young colleague who I think was named Ginger. The main character owned the business and was probably mid 40's and going bald. I can't think what other shows he has been in to trace it that way.
    I was a kid when this was on and I don't even remember what it was about but for some reason I mentioned it to someone the other day and they think it's a figment of my imagination lol.
    I've searched the internet for 4 or 5 hours over the last few days and can't find a single mention of it.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Trying to recall 1980's Show on ITV

The Gaffer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081866/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

His car, like Suggs, is not quite a Jaguar, but the rest fits.
    Last edited by I. R. Fincham; 02-04-2013, 18:05.

Comment

That's the one. Thanks very much for your help. I have no idea why I thought it was called Squire but more importantly - my sanity is no longer in question

Comment

The intro.

Actually, I know nothing at all about cars. Is that a Rover?

Comment

I'm not sure but it's certainly not a flash Jaguar like I'd thought but I was only 6 when this was on TV. I've no idea why I was awake at 9 o'clock watching it

Comment

The theme tune to The Gaffer has always been stuck in my head, and I don't recall ever watching it!!

Comment

Ah yes, the Gaffer with the great Bill Maynard. He was in a long running 70's series before that called Oh No, Its Selwyn Froggit.

Comment

Yes the car is an old Rover TC, my parents used to have a sandy coloured V8.
                Can't remember the programme but it must be a very close relative to "Minder" surely just from looking at the titles!
                This is obviously before his "Greengrass" days!
                sigpic

Comment

I've always had a fondness for those old Rover P6's, although they're still not as "rare as rocking-horse manure". I recall watching the opening titles of 'The Gaffer' quite regularly in the early '80s, although I didn't really watch the rest of the show. It was more pure sitcom than 'Minder', which was more of a comedy-drama.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Working...
                  X